Swapped Bridgestone's for Michelin's - Front End "Higher" Than Before?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapped Bridgestone's for Michelin's - Front End "Higher" Than Before?

With the Pilot Sport A/S' on the car, I get the sense that the nose isn't as low to the ground as it once was.

Can someone tell me if.....

1. The Pilot Sport A/S is simply a bigger tire and thus my fronts and my rears are higher than with the Bridgestone's and that's that.

- or -

2. There's something that the tire guys did that raised the nose of the car. Not the Michelin's fault.....bring the car back and get them to lower it (shocks or struts or something?).

- or -

3. The stock Bridgestone's front tires and rear tires are different sizes and thus the issue. I need to get different sizes in the Michelin's too.

Can't describe why, but when I sit behind the wheel and drive, I can see more hood than before and I feel like the car is higher. Similarly, when I stare at the car side-view the nose looks like it's pointed farther North.....doesn't look as low and stealthy.

Am I seeing things, or do the Pilot Sport's change the attitude of the TL?

BJ
Old 04-28-2005, 06:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Michelin (assuming you have the stock size) is 0.1" larger in diameter than the Turanza. So they make your car 0.05" taller. That's per manufacturers' specs.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 260 HP
The Michelin (assuming you have the stock size) is 0.1" larger in diameter than the Turanza. So they make your car 0.05" taller. That's per manufacturers' specs.
Isn't tire size tire size?? i.e. shoudn't a 235/45/17 be the exact same size regardless of manufacturer?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
He's talking .05". The tire's radius will change more than that as the tread wears.

Mike
Old 04-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

If both tires are equally taller (albeit marginally) then what is causing me to think that the nose isn't as sloped down as it used to be?

When changing tires, is there anything the tire technician can do accidentally to make the front of the car rise?

BJ
Old 04-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Instructor

Yeah he must have accidentally turned the height adjustment screw on the strut shocks. Just a slight turn on that would cause the difference you're seeing. I think you should go there first thing in the morning and demand that he adjust it back, at his expense. He'll probably deny that there's any such thing, but you just have to be firm and tell him that you know the whole scam.

*just kidding, in case you're sarcasm-deficient*
Old 04-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by MichiganRich
Yeah he must have accidentally turned the height adjustment screw on the strut shocks. Just a slight turn on that would cause the difference you're seeing. I think you should go there first thing in the morning and demand that he adjust it back, at his expense. He'll probably deny that there's any such thing, but you just have to be firm and tell him that you know the whole scam.

*just kidding, in case you're sarcasm-deficient*

Thanks! I'll call my tire guy in the morning. Can I turn the HAS myself?

BJ
Old 04-28-2005, 11:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

There should be nothing the tire guy did that could've made the car taller or lower. The car itself isn't height adjustable....
Old 04-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

There should be nothing the tire guy did that could've made the car taller or lower. The car itself isn't height adjustable....
Well, the height adjustment screw sort of changes that, doesn't it?

BJ
Old 04-29-2005, 12:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

You or your tire guy are not supposed to touch the adjustment screw!!!!! The screw is sealed from the factory. If Honda/Acura finds out that you break the seal and change the setting, they'll void the warranty on the spot. If you think your tire guy has done it, you'd better start looking for a set of used struts that hasn't been tampered with.

Good luck with your guy.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Front tires will wear faster than the backs. I'm having trouble believing the difference is visible to the naked eye and memory, but with new tires you have equal tread depths vs. less in front, so I guess it's conceivable that the front now looks higher.

You could get the front tires shaved to racing depth.

Mike
Old 04-29-2005, 09:51 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

You or your tire guy are not supposed to touch the adjustment screw!!!!! The screw is sealed from the factory. If Honda/Acura finds out that you break the seal and change the setting, they'll void the warranty on the spot. If you think your tire guy has done it, you'd better start looking for a set of used struts that hasn't been tampered with.

Good luck with your guy.
I called the head of service at my local Acura dealer and explained the situation. They said that I did indeed void my warranty. That's the bad news. The good news is that I've hired an attorney to help me against the tire shop and now I can mod the ashtrays like I've always wanted to.

BJ
Old 04-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by svtmike
Front tires will wear faster than the backs. I'm having trouble believing the difference is visible to the naked eye and memory, but with new tires you have equal tread depths vs. less in front, so I guess it's conceivable that the front now looks higher.

You could get the front tires shaved to racing depth.

Mike

That makes some sense.....I don't normally drive aggressively, but the TL is so much fun that for the first 18k I definitely did hit the fronts hard. I've got very sensitive eyes, so it's possible they were a bit shaved and thus my perception of the nose pointing upwards.

Thanks.

BJ
Old 04-29-2005, 12:43 PM
Instructor

You guys are overlooking the obvious.

#1 - New tires will have more tread than older ones. That could be as much as a 1/4 inch right there.

#2 - Tire pressure. If the Bridgestones were running low on pressure, it could also add to the difference (albeit only slightly.)

#3 - Yes, the Michelins are slightly larger to begin with.

None of these three on their own would make that much of a difference, but combine them together and it is very likely noticible. So my guess is you are not seeing things...
Old 04-29-2005, 01:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by boltjames
I called the head of service at my local Acura dealer and explained the situation. They said that I did indeed void my warranty. That's the bad news. The good news is that I've hired an attorney to help me against the tire shop and now I can mod the ashtrays like I've always wanted to.

BJ
Okay, that was a funny line. Kudos. :-)
Old 04-30-2005, 12:45 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by MichiganRich
Okay, that was a funny line. Kudos. :-)
Gracias.

BJ
Old 04-30-2005, 12:46 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by EpiK
You guys are overlooking the obvious.

#1 - New tires will have more tread than older ones. That could be as much as a 1/4 inch right there.

#2 - Tire pressure. If the Bridgestones were running low on pressure, it could also add to the difference (albeit only slightly.)

#3 - Yes, the Michelins are slightly larger to begin with.

None of these three on their own would make that much of a difference, but combine them together and it is very likely noticible. So my guess is you are not seeing things...

Thank you! I now can sleep comfortably, knowing that I'm not insane. I feel like I'm driving an SUV.

BJ
Old 05-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by boltjames
Thank you! I now can sleep comfortably, knowing that I'm not insane. I feel like I'm driving an SUV.

BJ

Then again, it might just be someone messed with the height controls of your driver seat...

/runs away