Swap TL-S suspension for stock TL suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:59 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swap TL-S suspension for stock TL suspension

I posted in another thread regarding the harsh ride of the 07 TL-S but never got a reply. I understand the 07 suspension has been revised to be stiffer. It's great on smooth roads, but over road imperfections, it's just too busy and harsh. It's less comfortable than the 03 TL-S and RSX-S. Even more harsh than a BMW M suspension. I'm going to verify it's not just my car by driving other TL's at the dealer.

Has anyone done a suspension swap? Is the swap to base shock/springs possible with the revised suspension for this model year?

Those with A-spec and Tein suspensions: Is the ride even more harsh than the TL-S?

I like all the added features of the TL-S. So rather than trading in for a base TL, I'd rather just be able to swap the shocks/springs.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Cruisin'

I've been questioning this myself. The Tl-S is way too stiff for my liking and creates obnoxious noises that cheapen the car.
I like the car a lot, but would probably would not have opted for the "S" had I paid better attention to this characteristic.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by trustrsx
I posted in another thread regarding the harsh ride of the 07 TL-S but never got a reply. I understand the 07 suspension has been revised to be stiffer. It's great on smooth roads, but over road imperfections, it's just too busy and harsh. It's less comfortable than the 03 TL-S and RSX-S. Even more harsh than a BMW M suspension. I'm going to verify it's not just my car by driving other TL's at the dealer.

Has anyone done a suspension swap? Is the swap to base shock/springs possible with the revised suspension for this model year?

Those with A-spec and Tein suspensions: Is the ride even more harsh than the TL-S?

I like all the added features of the TL-S. So rather than trading in for a base TL, I'd rather just be able to swap the shocks/springs.
Willing to sell or trade 2005 AT TL Stock Suspension. PM if interested.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:05 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by FORSITE
Willing to sell or trade 2005 AT TL Stock Suspension. PM if interested.
Ditto...have one in my garage off a 2005 AT TL stocker also....only has like 4000 miles on it before I upgraded to A-Spec. Would trade for TL-S Suspension. Have shocks/rear sway bar...whole shabang.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:05 PM
10th Gear

Sorry guys, not interested in a swap with the 05 suspension. 07 maybe, but I'm going to check if the dealer has take-offs.

I mainly wanted opinions on the ride quality.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:42 PM
10th Gear

I think my Type S also about to go down the road - literally and figuratively. The suspension on our roads make this car virtually undriveable. On the highway it is in constant motion and the thumping and banging make it a horror to drive. The dealer is replacing the struts but I doubt that is going to result in any improvement - the service mgr drove the car about half a block before making that assessment. This is my eighth Acura and the first one to really disappoint me.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should be able to switch the springs and shocks with the base TL, but it might be cheaper to swap out the entire shock absorber assembly. The assembly is priced less than a shock plus a spring prices combined.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:20 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

I dont understand people that purchase a TYPE-S model and then wonder why it rides sportier? What do you guys expect? Didnt you test drive the car before you bought it? Just wondering.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

While I like the way the Type-S rides, I understand the people that want to soften the suspension a little bit. This is why the auto enthusiast world is very exciting. People want to customize the car to fit their individual needs and wants as perfectly as possible.

A few people have questioned me why I bought a 6MT (entry) luxury car, then lowered it, put big wheels on it among other things that seems to make it even farther away from a "luxury" car's character.

OTOH, some other folks asked me why I bought an FWD car, equipped with 6MT and torque steer while I should have bought an RWD sports coupe like G35 or BMW 3-series.

For most of us, the TL or TL Type S fits the bill at about 80%-90% mark. The other 10-20%, we'll have to live without or customize the car.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:44 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

I have just never heard of putting marshmallows where your sports suspension used to be termed as a modification....but in fact...I guess it is nonetheless huh....
Old 03-13-2007, 05:26 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
I
Those with A-spec and Tein suspensions: Is the ride even more harsh than the TL-S?.
I love my Aspec suspension, I'm going to have to go test drive a TypeS to see what your're talking about.

You say that you don't want a 05 suspension but an 07. The base 07 suspension is the same that Acura has used since 04. I have my 06 sitting in the closet, it has 9500 mile on it. I'd be willing to sell it just to get it out of the house. $125 shipped.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

jupitersolo, Acura changed the suspension from 04-06 to 07 base TL. The 07 base TL has (at least) softer front springs, different shocks and suspension bushings. It's mentioned here: http://www.hondanews.com/categories/733/releases/3745.

If I'm not mistaken, the shocks, springs, and bump stops all have different part numbers among 04, 05, 06, and 07 base and Type-S.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:25 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by 260 HP
jupitersolo, Acura changed the suspension from 04-06 to 07 base TL. The 07 base TL has (at least) softer front springs, different shocks and suspension bushings. It's mentioned here: http://www.hondanews.com/categories/733/releases/3745.

If I'm not mistaken, the shocks, springs, and bump stops all have different part numbers among 04, 05, 06, and 07 base and Type-S.

Thanks for the 411.

What I need to look at is this statement "Thicker hollow front anti-roll bar and new larger diameter hollow rear anti-roll bar ". I wonder just how thick the front bar is now. The Type S has a thicker solid bar.

I'm glad to see Acura tighten up the suspesnion, it was too soft in the 04-06's. Now it is time to test drive, just to see.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:42 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
I dont understand people that purchase a TYPE-S model and then wonder why it rides sportier? What do you guys expect? Didnt you test drive the car before you bought it? Just wondering.
And that would also be the reason we bought the 07 TL-S. There are no complaints about ride quality from a 02 RSX-S and 03 TL-S, both with "sport tuned suspensions".

Just as they made revisions to the 07 TL, the S has the suspension stiffed up about 2 steps. Ever drive a BMW with M suspension? It's stiff but it doesn't bounce around. I bought this car stock, and should have an acceptable level of comfort, especially coming from Honda who is usually conservative about their tuning. I've had Tein SS's on the RSX that rides better.

A 10 minute test drive is not enough to gauge everyday driving conditions.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:43 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I love my Aspec suspension, I'm going to have to go test drive a TypeS to see what your're talking about.

You say that you don't want a 05 suspension but an 07. The base 07 suspension is the same that Acura has used since 04. I have my 06 sitting in the closet, it has 9500 mile on it. I'd be willing to sell it just to get it out of the house. $125 shipped.
Definately drive it and let us know. The specs for the A-spec hasn't changed.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:00 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

And that would also be the reason we bought the 07 TL-S. There are no complaints about ride quality from a 02 RSX-S and 03 TL-S, both with "sport tuned suspensions".

Just as they made revisions to the 07 TL, the S has the suspension stiffed up about 2 steps. Ever drive a BMW with M suspension? It's stiff but it doesn't bounce around. I bought this car stock, and should have an acceptable level of comfort, especially coming from Honda who is usually conservative about their tuning. I've had Tein SS's on the RSX that rides better.

A 10 minute test drive is not enough to gauge everyday driving conditions.
It doesnt say TL-S on the back for nothing! What you really needed was a TL with an A-Spec kit and call it a day instead of the TL-S. Just my opinion though!
Old 03-14-2007, 03:39 PM
10th Gear

It doesnt say TL-S on the back for nothing! What you really needed was a TL with an A-Spec kit and call it a day instead of the TL-S. Just my opinion though!
You didn't get my point. I've driven both a rsx-s and 03 tl-s. I have no problems with suspensions on those cars. I'm trying to identify if there is indeed an issue with the suspension or this is the way it's "supposed" to ride.

If anything, the A-spec is even more harsh due to the lowering.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:06 PM
nnInn

The drop is not more than an inch, the ride isn't more harsh because of this, the Aspec suspension really only takes the bounce out of the base TL suspension.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:34 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

You didn't get my point. I've driven both a rsx-s and 03 tl-s. I have no problems with suspensions on those cars. I'm trying to identify if there is indeed an issue with the suspension or this is the way it's "supposed" to ride.

No...I did get your point....just didnt express mine well I guess. When I said A-Spec kit...I meant body kit only. I should have been more clear there.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Pro

!
Originally Posted by xlr8ng
I think my Type S also about to go down the road - literally and figuratively. The suspension on our roads make this car virtually undriveable. On the highway it is in constant motion and the thumping and banging make it a horror to drive. The dealer is replacing the struts but I doubt that is going to result in any improvement - the service mgr drove the car about half a block before making that assessment. This is my eighth Acura and the first one to really disappoint me.
did the struts fix the problem? asking because other than the bad struts and what i now found out was a loose front sway bar, I haven't had any "constant motion" problems whatsoever. Now that the problems are fixed, I for one love the type s ride!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:27 AM
10th Gear

No...I did get your point....just didnt express mine well I guess. When I said A-Spec kit...I meant body kit only. I should have been more clear there.
How would an asthetic body kit change the performance or handling of the vehicle? You obviously didn't get my point. I made my purchase based on past experience and the initial test drive. There are more benefits of the new S model than appearances. The S is a good compromise between performance and luxury.

I feel it's a little busy over bumps, and I'm not alone in this. How does your a-spec suspension feel?
Old 03-15-2007, 12:32 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

How would an asthetic body kit change the performance or handling of the vehicle? You obviously didn't get my point. I made my purchase based on past experience and the initial test drive. There are more benefits of the new S model than appearances. The S is a good compromise between performance and luxury.

I feel it's a little busy over bumps, and I'm not alone in this. How does your a-spec suspension feel?
Feels fine to me...but then again I am a racer and track my car...so it doesnt really bother me one bit. What you guys are describing though....is what people in my world long for...a stiff suspension. Now when you look at the performance vehicles that are being released today (EVO, Scoobies, ect) its easy to see why mfg's would put a good stiff suspension on it to keep from being laughed off the auto market. They all are generally launched at similar or same shows more or less....so in comparison....you gotta be up to snuff performance wise if you are going to go with a badge of that nature (TYPE S)...otherwise the autoworld would more or less snub the car as a joke.

Now...you ask how a body kit can change the handling....the A-Spec front lip was HUGE to this cars handling....it buffeted and raised up under high speeds....now it stays planted....is that the kind of difference in handling you are asking about....cause it was huge for me. Stock...the TL front end sways all over the road from lift at high speeds.

And...if its a good compromise...whats the problem we are talking about here?
Old 03-15-2007, 02:44 PM
10th Gear

It's natural that since you track your car, you prefer the stiffer suspension. I personally don't enjoy the floating feel from softer riding familiy sedans. Acura reintroduced the S model this year so they would have a platform to have a higher performing vehicle.

While the badge may designate the nature of the car, I've been in AMG's, M's,a nd S's and the ride has been stiff, but not uncomfortable. So you see, I'm not advert to a stiff suspension. Instead of preaching to the choir, I'm soliciting opinions from others on whether the stiff suspension for the S is not up to spec. maybe it's just my car.

In respect to the body kit, I doubt I'll ever take the car up to speed to feel the additional downforce from the front spoiler.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:18 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

It's natural that since you track your car, you prefer the stiffer suspension. I personally don't enjoy the floating feel from softer riding familiy sedans. Acura reintroduced the S model this year so they would have a platform to have a higher performing vehicle.

While the badge may designate the nature of the car, I've been in AMG's, M's,a nd S's and the ride has been stiff, but not uncomfortable. So you see, I'm not advert to a stiff suspension. Instead of preaching to the choir, I'm soliciting opinions from others on whether the stiff suspension for the S is not up to spec. maybe it's just my car.

In respect to the body kit, I doubt I'll ever take the car up to speed to feel the additional downforce from the front spoiler.
What I was referring to was normal highway driving on that floating around stuff. Once I put the A-Spec kit on...it changed the geometry and airflow of the front end enough to help stop the lift.

So far as your issue....I believe it is completely normal. I had heard countless people mentioning the same thing about the TL-S's tight suspension and the rough ride and how they were suprised how rough it was. I think Acura built the car one way...and marketed it another...because IMO it is more sport than luxury and NOT a good combination for somebody that is looking for something sporty....but still with the luxury flair given what I have read here online from other TL-S owners. I would say it was more for somebody that was strictly into sporty moreso than luxury. But thats JMO.....means nuttin frankly.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Cruisin'

I'd like to clarify that I don't necessarily dislike the stiff ride of our new "S", what I don't care for are the noises that come with it. The car has some noises that are difficult to describe, typically over some of the lightest bumps.
I must admit, there is still a sour flavor in my mouth over the fact that the car was delivered with noisy rear struts that took a week to have replaced.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Acutally the 07 Base TL suspension has been retuned as well. They retuned it to be softer and more comfortable than the 04-06 TL.

I have'nt driven the TL-S yet but it really surprises me that many of you that own one is not satisfy with the ride comfort. I remember reading an article in a magazine, I think it was Road and Track. They compared the IS350, the new G35s, and the TL-S and they said out of all of them the TL-S was the smoothest and most comfortable on the road.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Advanced

This thread concerned me as i am about to get an 07 tl-s so i testdrove both the tl and tl-s the other day and found that, as far as driving on city streets, the difference was much less noticeable than what was portrayed in some of the posts in this thread. I have a 2002 tl-s and the suspension felt just as bumpy/firm as the 2007 tl-s. Who knows, however, that when i eventually take the 07 tl-s home and get a chance to scrutinize it more and try out freeway driving, i might form a different opinion.

On a different note, what was more disappointing to me was the tl-s didn't have that much of an extra oomph in hp over the tl as i had anticipated. I know that the tsx is smaller and lighter... but i somehow was expecting the tl-s to be just as snappy.