Suspension Gurus Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:16 PM
guest bedroom closet is

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Gurus Wanted

Ok, so I recently installed Tokico blues wrapped in H&R sport springs. Everything is fine (for the most part). The car handles a lot better, but there is a strange noise coming from the left rear (driver's side) of the car. My wife sat in the back seat and she said she felt like it was coming from down low. But here's the deal:

1. I have removed both rear tires and rechecked the tightness of all suspension and alignment (camber kit) nuts and bolts, and everything was tight when I checked it. I also rechecked the tightness of the top of the strut under the rear deck.

2. The rear seat is bolted in and tight.

2. I removed the sway bar bushings (the ones that came with my Progress RSB) and re-greased both of them with heavy duty white lithium grease. I put them back on and made sure the brackets were tight.

3. When I put the springs on the struts, I made sure that the top bolts were aligned with the bottom of the strut (where the bolt goes through) as per the instructions.

So what I want to know, is what is causing this low popping noise in the rear of my car. It only happens at low speeds in my parking garage or when turning (when there is opposing stress on each side of the rear of the car). On the highway when swerving sharply in the lane I can't hear or feel anything werid, just great steering response. If anyone has any ideas what this could be they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:41 AM
guest bedroom closet is

C'mon, nobody? I can't exactly call the dealer and ask them about it...
Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I've had my car dropped for aver a year. I've noticed certain speed bumps at the right angle cause a slight rear clunk in the last 6 months. I think my stock 6MT, RSB is contacting somewhere. That's what it sounds like to me. I haven't looked into it at all though. If had access to a alignment lift I would check it out. That way the car is in the air, with the susp positioned at normal ride height.

Wouldn't surprise me if the RSB, or RSB link is just nicking an edge on something, creating the clunk. I've thought about putting some tape on the bar, ect to find out where it coming from, but it only happens or rare occasions. I would have to go drive over speed bumps and make the susp do it.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:05 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
If your looking for an alternative to the dealer, try a high end independent shop. C&C Northside Motors is good( Houston area ), might want to see if they can help you. They are not cheap at all, but you get what you pay for.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:22 AM
Cruisin'

Most of the time its the dead coils in the rear springs that are touching when springs are compressing over bumps. Which then creates a slight clanking noise.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:23 AM
Pro

Check the ball joints on the sway bar. Tighten them with a 5mm allen key in the end and a 14mm open end. I had a similar low speed noise and thats exactly what it was.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:29 AM
guest bedroom closet is

Thanks all. I will check the ball joint on the sway bar link (the one thing I didn't check when I was under the car) when I get home from work. If not that I will call C&C and update this when I find out what's casuing it.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:01 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
to the OP....TRUST ME when i say this....DOUBLE CHECK the tightness of your RSB connecting to the endlinks. i had this very same problem/situation that you are describing. it was driving me nuts as well and i too thought i tightened the RSB endlinks real good but i didnt. it seems that sometimes the end links loosen up from the internal bushing and the original nut doesnt secure the end link to the RSB well. SOLUTION might you ask?? add one washer to end point of contact btwn the RSB and endlinks (where the adjustable holes are). also if you removed the endlinks from the "shock mount side" i would also add a single washer to each of those contact points as well. i am positive that will take care of your problem as acura's end links arent the best but with a lil modification, they serve their purpose...hope this helps

Originally Posted by Timeless
Check the ball joints on the sway bar. Tighten them with a 5mm allen key in the end and a 14mm open end. I had a similar low speed noise and thats exactly what it was.

Last edited by djbonsu; 03-18-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:07 AM
guest bedroom closet is

Originally Posted by djbonsu
to the OP....TRUST ME when i say this....DOUBLE CHECK the tightness of your RSB connecting to the endlinks. i had this very same problem/situation that you are describing. it was driving me nuts as well and i too thought i tightened the RSB endlinks real good but i didnt. it seems that sometimes the end links loosen up from the internal bushing and the original nut doesnt secure the end link to the RSB well. SOLUTION might you ask?? add one washer to end point of contact btwn the RSB and endlinks (where the adjustable holes are). also if you removed the endlinks from the "shock mount side" i would also add a single washer to each of those contact points as well. i am positive that will take care of your problem as acura's end links arent the best but with a lil modification, they serve their purpose...hope this helps

You don't happen to know the size of that stud so I can stop on the way home and pick up some washers do you???
Old 03-18-2009, 11:04 AM
"Like None Other"

^^^^sorry, i dont really know the size of the stud but i can tell you that the nut is 14mm if that helps. Let me know if this method works out for ya. G' luck
Old 03-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MystaNyce
Most of the time its the dead coils in the rear springs that are touching when springs are compressing over bumps. Which then creates a slight clanking noise.
You're correct. H&R, unlike Eibach, doesn't have rubber isolator to eliminate noise created by the dead coils. The solution is very easy: get clear plastic hose from Lowe's or Home Depot slide it to wrap the dead coils. The noise is guaranteed to go away.

To prove that the dead coils are the culprit, try to replicate the noise when you have rear passengers. If the noise goes away completely, it's 100% the dead coils.

I've had this issue on a lot of cars. There's nothing to do with the balljoint, RSB endlinks or whatever if they are tight.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:13 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
got any pics of the plastic hose that u are talking about?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:59 AM
guest bedroom closet is

So I pulled everything off again last night and added washers to the studs on the end links for the RSB. I also tried to grease the joints on each end of the link, in case something was binding. The sound is still there. I have torqued and triple re-torqued every bolt on that suspension, so I am liking the sound of this dead coil idea.

And to clear up my noise, it really only happens in parking garages (angled surfaces and concrete joints) and at low speeds (~5 mph). I will try this hose idea next, since I am really baffled if that is not it. I will post the results of this tomorrow. Thanks for all the ideas.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Let us know how it goes. Some of my customers' cars and my Accords and TL had this issue and all are fixed by installing clear plastic hose on the dead coils and the problem went away completely.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
I remember having a "clunking" sound when I had my tokicos on, had them installed by the stealership cuz they gave me a good price. When I went to install the Tein (by myself) I learned that the bolts on the top hats (the ones that secure the top hat to the car) were loose and thats what caused the clunking sound.

Pull the seats and check those bolts
Old 03-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^ I believe he's already done that.

Originally Posted by BigESG
1. I have removed both rear tires and rechecked the tightness of all suspension and alignment (camber kit) nuts and bolts, and everything was tight when I checked it. I also rechecked the tightness of the top of the strut under the rear deck.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:14 AM
guest bedroom closet is

Sorry guys, I have been out of town for work and am gonna be gone again this week, I promise I will post results though as soon as I get them...
Old 03-23-2009, 08:33 PM
guest bedroom closet is

Ok, so here's a quick update. Tonight I disconnected the RSB end links on each side and drove my car around. The clunking/knocking sound was still there. Then I thought i would check the dead coil noise, so I got in my trunk (250 lbs) and had my wife drive around the apt complex. The noise was still there, and in the trunk it was still hard to tell where it was coming from (the exhaust sounded good though, haha). I got out and jumped up and down in the trunk, and no noise. I also pushed on the sides of the trunk to get some lateral movement, and no noise. So do you still think it is the dead coils, or should I try something else? I am baffled and NEED HELP! Thanks guys.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:39 PM
guest bedroom closet is

I just took out the rear seat and shelf and put them inside. The knocking is definitely coming from the upper part of the strut (probably the spring knocking). I called H&R today and they said this should not be happening. He said if it was then they could do a warranty repair. Is this worth it or should I try to find some kind of hose to put over them? Will this hurt performance?
Old 03-24-2009, 11:13 AM
guest bedroom closet is

SOLVED! I took the car to C&C Northside here in town, and he made me feel stupid (but they were really helpful and nice, the stupid is my fault). After I did the install I took th car to get an alignment, so I assumed the bolts on the alignement links were tight, and when i tried to move them with weight on the car, no luck. I didn't want to mess with them anyway, since that would mess up the alignment, but sure enough, Kurt was able to move the link by hand with no weight on the car (I was using a ramp, he was using a lift). He tightened the bolt up and the sound went away. For anyone else with the srping noise and a camber kit, check this, since it made an audible noise that you could feel by hand in both struts.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:10 PM
"Like None Other"

^^^GREAT!!!...what are these alignment links that you speak of?? the rsb endlinks? im puzzled..lol
Old 03-25-2009, 07:03 AM
guest bedroom closet is

I have an Ingalls rear camber kit on the car, and it replaces two of the factory connecting arms (links) on the rear suspension on each side. One of the bolts that passes trhough the end of one of these links was loose, and it was allowing the peice to move. It was only noticeable from underneath, though, with the car on a jack, since that took the force off of it and you could move it by hand. Hope this clears it up.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:57 AM
"Like None Other"

^^^i got ya now....thanks