Strut Bar for EDFC

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:15 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
So many choices....

let me ask you guys with the Greddy Bar a question.. you obviously drilled the holes yourself.. did you put any type of protection/treatment on the holes ? is there any rust starting to show?

i think i'll wait for Marcus, as long as you can assure us you will be providing a solution in due time. If not, second would be to use the Greddy bar, third would be to cut up the OEM bar, and last choice would be to go with no bar.....
Old 01-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
So many choices....

let me ask you guys with the Greddy Bar a question.. you obviously drilled the holes yourself.. did you put any type of protection/treatment on the holes ? is there any rust starting to show?

i think i'll wait for Marcus, as long as you can assure us you will be providing a solution in due time. If not, second would be to use the Greddy bar, third would be to cut up the OEM bar, and last choice would be to go with no bar.....
same here.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:28 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
So many choices....

Just some touchup paint. No rust, of course... Over a year and a Northern VA winter too. No garage to park in, and over 10000 miles.

You guys worry about the wierdest stuff. Drilling a little hole in the strut tower will not cause your car to spontaneously combust or corrode to pieces overnight.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:27 PM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by Kennedy

Drilling a little hole in the strut tower will not cause your car to spontaneously combust
lol
Old 01-10-2008, 08:35 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sT04Louis
Much like darksom i have not had a strut bar since june 07. So the way i see it is, that even if ive ruined the integrity of the OEM bar and all it does now is sit there looking pretty i wont notice any difference in the way the car handles.
You go boy!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:41 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So many choices....

Me:
1. No bar
2. Marcus bar
3. Custom bar (you KNOW how I do!)
Old 01-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Drilling a little hole in the strut tower will not cause your car to spontaneously combust...

Actually happend to me back in 2003
Old 01-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
The only difference between them is the missing 2 mounting points of the Greddy bar, and that 2 of the Accord top hat mouting studs are in a slightly different orientation as the OEM -requiring the hole to be drilled on each side to accomodate.

But this is exactly my point. The 2 bolts per side on the greddy bar are so close together that they are only good for resisting forces in a few directions. It isn't as good for torsional changes.

The accord oem bracing utilizes these OEM points for bracing to the firewall. The greddy bar is certainly effective in tieing the towers together, and the accord does not need torsional resistance because of existing bracing. The TL has no such firewall bracing in place from the factory, redering the accord brace less effective on a TL than it is on an accord.

Marcus
Old 01-11-2008, 04:56 PM
I have car ADD

So Marcus, i know there is still time til final product, but will you definitley be providing a final product? estimated arrival time? Thanks!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:47 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
But this is exactly my point. The 2 bolts per side on the greddy bar are so close together that they are only good for resisting forces in a few directions. It isn't as good for torsional changes.

The accord oem bracing utilizes these OEM points for bracing to the firewall. The greddy bar is certainly effective in tieing the towers together, and the accord does not need torsional resistance because of existing bracing. The TL has no such firewall bracing in place from the factory, redering the accord brace less effective on a TL than it is on an accord.

Marcus
Sorry Marcus, I have to disagree again.

The two mounting points are in the same orientation as the 4 OEM points, sure they're a little closer together. The OEM bars mounting points are of a wider stance, but that's to compensate for the thinner/weaker material used to fabricate the connection fingers. The greddy mount is rigid (thick plate steel), as is the strut tower. The greddy bar resists the same forces as the TL OEM bar. Torsion would be resisted IF the OE bar was tied to the firewall. I can only assume the TL's fram geometery is reinforced to resist torsion, but the towers needed to be reinforce dto ressit lateral play under load.

I will agree on one point... The OEM Accord bar mounts to both the strut towers AND the firewall of the ACCORD. It links the towers to the firewall. WHEN MOUNTED TO THE ACCORD, the greddy bar seems like it would be WEAKER as you lose this torsional strengthening when you remove the OE bar.

But again, when installed on the TL, it functionally mounts in the same manner, and provides at least equivalent reinfoecement...

Stock Accord bar shown below. It ties the firewall to teh towers... Neither the Stock TL nor Greddy bar does this.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Are you talking about part #24 as it applies to the TL?
My Gen2 stock bar looks like that and goes to just under the lip of the firewall, and across to both shock towers-using 2 of the 5 bolts of the strut tophat to attach there.
Not much of a brace until you add a dedicated strut tower bar to the system, then the car gets a lot more solid on turns

Note on the 3rd gen bar Marcus is working on, it includes a reinforcement of some type for the brake master cylinder, those are usually just bolted thru flimsy sheet metal firewall and when you get aggressive with the braking input coming off your foot.....
Old 01-11-2008, 08:11 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Are you talking about part #24 as it applies to the TL?
My Gen2 stock bar looks like that and goes to just under the lip of the firewall, and across to both shock towers-using 2 of the 5 bolts of the strut tophat to attach there.
Not much of a brace until you add a dedicated strut tower bar to the system, then the car gets a lot more solid on turns

Note on the 3rd gen bar Marcus is working on, it includes a reinforcement of some type for the brake master cylinder, those are usually just bolted thru flimsy sheet metal firewall and when you get aggressive with the braking input coming off your foot.....
No.

I was describing part 24 as it applies to the Accord, and explaining that the accord bar links the strut towers to the firewall. That's nice actually. The Greddy bar "augments" this on the Accord. Didn't know that.

Interested in the master cylinder bracing... That's an "upgrade" to the stock bar.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Former Sponsor

The greddy bar for the accord works in conjunction with the OEM bar actually...at least that is how these things usually work. I'd put money that's the case here.

Anyway, I am not sure how it can be disputable that mounting with 2 bolts on one side of the tower would not be as strong torsionally as mounting 3 bolts all around it. This without any additional reinforcement coming into play. But I can see that you feel one way and I feel another. I don't need to get into this debate any farther.

I know the greddy bar is certainly a viable alternative to nothing. And even a step above a cut stock bar. But, I still think there is something way better we can do. Once (or if, haha you know how things go sometimes) my bar is completed I don't think there will be any doubt that the greddy bar, while it works, will be knocked down a few notches.

Look, I am no really trying to tell you the greddy bar sucks (I hope I'm not coming across that way anyway). Just that, if that's the best we can do then I am pretty disappointed. The bar doesn't fit without modifying the car, it looks crappy against the stock engine covers, and it is a degraded mounting pattern from stock. I think we can do better.

Marcus
Old 01-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
......and waiting.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Team Owner

Marcus said he HOPED to have news on the 22nd, that would be the day after today~
Old 01-21-2008, 07:57 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
.... that would be the day after today~
Sometime referred to as "tomorrow". lol.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Team Owner

I didnt want to look stupid mizspelen itt
Old 01-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok....I was hoping to get pricing today but instead got news that a sample is being produced for us to test fit and once the design is good we will get pricing. So we need 2-4 more weeks for that to be done and shipped from Japan.

Marcus
Old 01-22-2008, 07:13 PM
I have car ADD

Good news... good news..

out of curiousity, who will be the manufacturer? anybody we know?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:24 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
You guys are driving me insane! I almost want to go outside to my TL, grab the greddy strut bar and start jerking on it so you can actively see how it rocks the car ferociously.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
hmmm new strut bar for the TLs? interesting..
i'm in when it gets manufactured. bring us some jdm parts for the TL
maybe cusco?
Old 02-15-2008, 02:31 AM
I have car ADD

so..... .... hows it going?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
You guys are driving me insane! I almost want to go outside to my TL, grab the greddy strut bar and start jerking on it so you can actively see how it rocks the car ferociously.

Please make a video of that..... .... that would be SO great to see....
Old 02-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Team Owner

Last I heard in Jan was ~a company overseas~ was physically making a prototype and would send it to Marcus for fitment testing.
If that goes well, they can start production. If it doesnt fit- they have to try again.
The gen3 TL is not native to Japan so they cant just grab a car off the street and know its going to fit right, and have the upgrade of brake master cylinder bar built in too.

With the TSX intended as the sports car of the line- Cusco- which is in Japan- makes stuff for it and cars they sell in their own country.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:59 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was about to ask the question about who makes a Stut bar for the TL gen 3 and saw this post. When I had my Acura Legend 95 coupe, we, the Legend Forum, had to have a lot of parts custums made.
KMS was one company that we used to have our strut bar made. They are located in Newton County Georgia, about 20 miles away from Atlanta. I had myself at many occasion dealt with John Kauffman, and would not hesitate to do so again. I will contact him and introduce the project to him.
The one he made for us then had "Legend" writen accross it and what a ifference in handling. feel free to surf there website and see some of the projet they worked on.
http://www.honda-performance.com/
And this second link will show you the product itself
http://honda-performance.com/info-lv2.asp?id=184
Old 02-22-2008, 10:45 AM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by banelba
I was about to ask the question about who makes a Stut bar for the TL gen 3 and saw this post. When I had my Acura Legend 95 coupe, we, the Legend Forum, had to have a lot of parts custums made.
KMS was one company that we used to have our strut bar made. They are located in Newton County Georgia, about 20 miles away from Atlanta. I had myself at many occasion dealt with John Kauffman, and would not hesitate to do so again. I will contact him and introduce the project to him.
The one he made for us then had "Legend" writen accross it and what a ifference in handling. feel free to surf there website and see some of the projet they worked on.
http://www.honda-performance.com/
And this second link will show you the product itself
http://honda-performance.com/info-lv2.asp?id=184
That's pretty sweet. I've actually got one of those KMS Engine Development strut bars in my garage. I'm keeping it to remind me of the 94 GS Legend i used to drive.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:30 AM
ors
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything new? Is there a bar coming?
Old 03-26-2008, 11:40 PM
I have car ADD

any news

Wouldnt Greddy be a good candidate for this as well? They already make the Accord 03+ Bar, modify the drilled holes in that to fit the TL top hats, and call it a day. people will buy, especially if they are convinced it will "improve" their handling.... and the price is right ($125ish~)

im sure progress & comptech ended up selling ALOT of their RSB's.... whats the hold up with something new for the front! it is a FWD car ya know, im sure a thicker/steadier bar will improve handling somewhat even for those who dont even plan on using it for EDFC reason

!!!

Wheres "Greddy Performance" (the member on here)
Old 03-26-2008, 11:54 PM
tehLEGOman

I've had the greddy accord bar for 1000s of miles and it works great.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 AM
I have car ADD

do you think it just works great

or actually improved any type of handling factor?
Old 03-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Former Sponsor

any news

Wouldnt Greddy be a good candidate for this as well? They already make the Accord 03+ Bar, modify the drilled holes in that to fit the TL top hats, and call it a day. people will buy, especially if they are convinced it will "improve" their handling.... and the price is right ($125ish~)

im sure progress & comptech ended up selling ALOT of their RSB's.... whats the hold up with something new for the front! it is a FWD car ya know, im sure a thicker/steadier bar will improve handling somewhat even for those who dont even plan on using it for EDFC reason

!!!

Wheres "Greddy Performance" (the member on here)
The greddy bar is a viable choice but it is a band-aid, not a real solution. No matter how insistent Kennedy and ACCURATEin are I hold my ground that while the Accord bar works, it is a cheesy way of fixing it.

And you are confusing "*SB"s. The RSB you are talking about is a rear sway bar. We are talking about a FSB or front STRUT bar. Sway bars and strut bars are very different in form and function. Be careful not to confuse the situation here

A front sway bar would improve stability at high speed but would hurt turn in and vehicle balance. A front sway bar would be in very low demand for aggressive street drivers.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Oh, and I am working on getting an update on this project now.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:12 PM
tehLEGOman

The greddy bar is a viable choice but it is a band-aid, not a real solution. No matter how insistent Kennedy and ACCURATEin are I hold my ground that while the Accord bar works, it is a cheesy way of fixing it.

And you are confusing "*SB"s. The RSB you are talking about is a rear sway bar. We are talking about a FSB or front STRUT bar. Sway bars and strut bars are very different in form and function. Be careful not to confuse the situation here

A front sway bar would improve stability at high speed but would hurt turn in and vehicle balance. A front sway bar would be in very low demand for aggressive street drivers.
Cheesy huh? Sweet. i'll continue to drive around and be content. Don't get a headache trying to figure out a lifelong solution to this small dilemna.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Cheesy huh? Sweet. i'll continue to drive around and be content. Don't get a headache trying to figure out a lifelong solution to this small dilemna.

Yes cheesy. A creative band-aid. A reasonable solution for 75% of pure function, but not a real solution and certainly not as good as can be had with a newly designed specific product.

It has been established that you and others feel differently, but those of us who are a little more discerning wish for a better solution.

Marcus
Old 03-29-2008, 03:42 PM
tehLEGOman

Yes cheesy. A creative band-aid. A reasonable solution for 75% of pure function, but not a real solution and certainly not as good as can be had with a newly designed specific product.

It has been established that you and others feel differently, but those of us who are a little more discerning wish for a better solution.

Marcus
Well lets get this super bandaid on the market then Marcus! DO WORK! Jesus, it's been nearly a year since the demand thread and this magical bar is no where in sight. If you can get this bar out before the release of the all new 2009 Acura TL, i'll buy one from you. How does that sound? Yeah that's right...you heard me. Now go do work.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:19 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Marcus
It's the wishing that's the problem...
I wish for a GT-R, I can afford a TL.

I'll buy a better bar if a better bar EVER COMES OUT

My racing brakes RULE... Beautiful work there... can't wait tot install them BTW.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Haha, touche....I tell you what tho, I am having a Japanese company work on this and unfortunately I have to work on their timetable. I had Tein make some dampers for my old crx and it took about 3 times longer than it should have also.

Marcus
Old 03-30-2008, 09:58 PM
B A N N E D

ok.. i installed the Greddy strut bar on the 07 TL-type S but had a LOT of problems with this. the fuse box on 07s is higher// closer to the strut bar than the pictures of ACCURATEINs pictures. i had to take out the fusebox and relocate the bar that holds the fuse box down. sorta looks retarded IMO opinion but the Greddy is now on.

hose is now unplugged from the intake and the fusebox is about half an inch away from the intake.

any solutions?

i'll post pix tomorrow.

we definitely need another strut bar for the TL type S...
Old 03-30-2008, 11:41 PM
I have car ADD

holy crap, you are definitely right...

the fuse box on 07+ TL-S is not in the same exact spot as the UA6.... an d i could see it causing clearance issues.... never even thought about that
Old 03-31-2008, 12:43 AM
B A N N E D

o man.. it was SUCH a bitch to install.. barely got it through but i still need a solution to have a cleaner install.

blackura, if yu can find a solution.

I'm gonna find a way this weekend while i have my photoshoot w/ my homies.

cars showing up..
1. 350z.. i posted this car on my previous thread.
2. evo that's hooked up as hell
3. random pathfinder.. (dont know why he's comin lol.. )
4. maybe a 7th gen accord..
5. maybe supercharged IS300.. his car's still in the shop..
6. black type 3
7. yellow s2000 with every bar possible..
8. blue WRX..

yay... =)

Quick Reply: Strut Bar for EDFC