Stiff, noisy riding 07 TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007 | 03:47 PM
Intermediate

Question Stiff, noisy riding 07 TL

I haven't found specific answers to my questions (see below), so I am starting a new thread. If these have been addressed elsewhere, my apologies.

Questions:
- Is the stiff, noisy ride more because of the tires or suspension?
- Will it get better as I put more miles on the car? (I've only owned the car for 5 weeks; currently have 500+ miles) Or is it just the way TLs are?
- How about the suspension? Does it soften with age? Does it get worse?

I've seen enough negative posts on the Turanza EL 42 tires (they are what I have) to believe that they are at least part of the problem. And I am going to go to my dealer to see about having them replaced under warranty. The ratings on Tirerack.com rate them No 26 in their class. The Turanza LS-V is rated No 1, and they're only $33 more.

Cheers
Old 01-20-2007 | 04:14 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

It sounds like you bought the wrong car. Sure, replacing the tires will change some stuff (the Turanza EL-42s blow) but the TL is a stiff car because it is sporty. And "noisy" is vague because sporty cars tend to have a bit more noise. Did you look at the ES350? That seems more suited.
Old 01-20-2007 | 07:40 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by TL-k100guy
Questions:
- Will it get better as I put more miles on the car? (I've only owned the car for 5 weeks; currently have 500+ miles) Or is it just the way TLs are?
The TL has a firm suspension- certainly stiffer than the Lexus ES, Mercedes E, etc.- as it is a "luxury sports sedan." The suspension should not change at all. If something softens up, that indicates a problem or wear.

The tires likely are causing a noisy ride, and other tires will alter the character and volume of the noise. The TL is also known for being very quiet, but that may only apply to the Navi cars that have the Michelin MXMs (rather than the EL-42s) and were usually the ones tested by car writers.
See how you like the ride with the LS-Vs. If the car is still too "stiff," that means you probably took too short of a test drive and should avoid any sports-biased sedans in the future.
Old 01-20-2007 | 08:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
It sounds like you bought the wrong car. Sure, replacing the tires will change some stuff (the Turanza EL-42s blow) but the TL is a stiff car because it is sporty. And "noisy" is vague because sporty cars tend to have a bit more noise. Did you look at the ES350? That seems more suited.
I did look at and test drove the ES350 and thought it had a nice ride -- overall a nice car -- but it was uninspiring. I also tested a 330I and might have bought it, but the dealer was uncompromising on the price. He wanted $7,000 more than the TL. I went back to Acura and opted for the TL, and I like the car. I think the ride will be better with better tires. The sporty nature is fine (I knew what I was getting); I simply had questions (was it more tire related or suspension related?)
Old 01-21-2007 | 09:36 AM
Racer

I have an 06 with Turanza's and don't notice any real noise from the tires. I doubt that changing them out will yield the results you are looking for.
Old 01-21-2007 | 04:54 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

The TL is a bit stiff as far as suspension goes, but it needs to be. I would definitely go with better tires, though.
Old 01-21-2007 | 05:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bmaczo6
I have an 06 with Turanza's and don't notice any real noise from the tires. I doubt that changing them out will yield the results you are looking for.
Which Turanzas do you have? The LS-Z or LS-V is rated much better than the EL-42, which is what I have.
Old 01-21-2007 | 05:28 PM
Intermediate

I originally started this post and would like to add one fact: I didn't notice the tire noise or rough ride so much until I took a drive to Santa Fe on NM state highway 14, which is somewhat bumpy in spots, with a rough road surface. Other than that, the tire noise and ride have been okay on good roads.

I still love the TL, just want to improve the ride somewhat without giving away good handling. BTW, the EL-42 was not rated as a good handling tire, but that's something I didn't notice so much because I am not that aggressive a driver. I did experience one unsettling moment in a sharp, off camber turn but don't know if it was because of the tires or me not acting my age.
Old 01-22-2007 | 05:50 AM
Racer

Which Turanzas do you have? The LS-Z or LS-V is rated much better than the EL-42, which is what I have.
I have the EL-42. There are clearly better tires out there but if you are not an aggressive driver there may little benefit in changing them out.
Old 02-14-2007 | 11:48 AM
10th Gear

I just purchased a 07 TL-S, and the ride is a lot more harsh than I expected it to be. I've driven a 03 TL-S and a 02 RSX-S, and the ride was stiff but very acceptable.

I understand they revised the suspension to be stiffer on this years model, but the ride is bouncy over small bumps. Not quite like blown shocks, but as if the dampers can't flatten out the bumps. The difference is it hits the bumps harder than the other S models and bounces in small increments all the way through.

I didn't get a chance to drive another TL form the dealer's lot. Is this the way it's supposed to be or is it defective?
Old 02-14-2007 | 01:37 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Huh? Isn't the TL significantly softer than the BMW

I did look at and test drove the ES350 and thought it had a nice ride -- overall a nice car -- but it was uninspiring. I also tested a 330I and might have bought it, but the dealer was uncompromising on the price. He wanted $7,000 more than the TL. I went back to Acura and opted for the TL, and I like the car. I think the ride will be better with better tires. The sporty nature is fine (I knew what I was getting); I simply had questions (was it more tire related or suspension related?)
Hmm, this doesn't make sense. You said that you liked the BMW except for price but the BMW's are significantly stiffer than the TL (at least with stock suspensions) so as to that, the TL SHOULD be a significantly softer ride than the Beemer
Old 12-03-2007 | 04:29 PM
10th Gear

I haven't found specific answers to my questions (see below), so I am starting a new thread. If these have been addressed elsewhere, my apologies.

Questions:

I've seen enough negative posts on the Turanza EL 42 tires (they are what I have) to believe that they are at least part of the problem. And I am going to go to my dealer to see about having them replaced under warranty. The ratings on Tirerack.com rate them No 26 in their class. The Turanza LS-V is rated No 1, and they're only $33 more.

Cheers
I am reading a lot online about the Yokahoma AS520 tire will improve the ride a lot. Only discount tire sells them. From all comments I have read they are a great tire at a good price $130 each.
Old 12-04-2007 | 04:38 AM
1st Gear

Acura 07 TL -How Can I Improve Suspension, Ride Comfort ?

New member - Not sure how to post question -

Los Angeles - Acura owner seeks advice on how improve ride quality/comfort on automatic Trans / 2007 Acura TL / OEM Tires Michelin 17 X 8 - Size: 235/45R17

Seeking any feedback on suspension adjustments or aftermarket products to help alleviate some of the stiff /harsh road ride.

Love this car's styling / interior & exterior, fit and finish, gas mileage, etc. Just looking to tradeoff some road handling in exchange for ride quality!

There must be some suspension options available from someone somewhere ?

Any suggestions, engineering contacts or web site info, Greatly Appreciated !