Stained polished lip??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stained polished lip??

Has anyone heard of something that might stain a polished wheel???

I have a set of Volk GTS's and they have a polished lip. Had it detailed the other day while at work. Car looked great clean and beautiful! Look at my wheels today and the polished lip looks like its stained or something. Been searching the forums and can't find anything. I have washed them and about to wax them hoping it will come off.

Has anyone seen anything like this before and if so what causes it?? and how do you fix it??

I know i'm a dumbass for not cleaning it myself but I don't find much time for it anymore with everything. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN
Old 09-03-2007, 04:06 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Oh no...
You broke the cardinal rule.
NO HARSH WHEEL CLEANERS ON VOLKS

The chemical the guys used has permanently discolored th elip, givin it a dull rainbow look.

Only way to fix it is to have the wheel disassembled and refinished.

That REALLY sucks.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Advanced

its not really a rainbow look, its just like its got bad water marks on it. I guess... I'm so pissed right now .
Old 09-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Advanced

the only thing i can say now is that i hope my mistake will help others not make the same...
Old 09-03-2007, 06:35 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Here's a guy that did the same thing:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=polish

and here's the thread where I discuss how I dealt with the set I bought that were trashed...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=polish

Good luck, that really sucks consider the 5 months it took to get em...
Old 09-06-2007, 09:27 AM
10th Gear

I Did the same thing to a my first set of Volks...

Lesson of the day: DO NOT use wheel cleaners on your anodized rims. Soap and water is always the best solution.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Columbia Univ. c/o 2004

I had a set of Volk GT-C's a while back. I used some metal polisher and it created some discoloration on the lips. From what I can read from your disclosure, you may currently have the same problem. My lips had areas that also looked like hard water stains and when placed at center angles, the color spectrum shines out (much like Kennedy was describing). There's not much you can do to it with counter products that you'll find at local auto stores. The only solution was to take it to a wheel repair shop and have them refinish it. The guys I took it to had to disassembled the wheels, took off the andonize finish and repolished the lips. Unfortunately its not a very cheap process (anywhere between $80-$130 per wheel). Sorry this happen to you. You should try talking to the detailers who washed your car and squeeze some compensation from them. Good luck. Those volks are very nice.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Drivin' it till it dies!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Add my name to the "rainbow lip" group... Good thing I didn't pay an arm and a leg for my GT-P's.

I'm going to handle mine myself. The only bitch I see is stripping the coating on the lip. I was told I could use a chemical paint stripper for this??....not sure about that as I will probably just scuff or sand it until the coating wears off.

Kennedy, thanks for posting the torque specs for the hardware in that other thread.....I've been searching forever for that. Now all I need is the end of the season to roll up my sleeves and DO IT!!

Oh, and did you use "semi-permanent" thread locker or "permanent" stuff on the nuts and bolts?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:48 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by pistacio

Oh, and did you use "semi-permanent" thread locker or "permanent" stuff on the nuts and bolts?
Loctite "Red" - Permanent stuff. Install using an alternating star pattern.

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:23 AM
8AT > 6MT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
try using a little clay bar...possibly some turtle wax bug and tar remover...
Old 10-01-2007, 09:27 AM
VS#03

Can you provide a picture of your lip..............I had the same problem, but I used Mothers Bullit Metal Polish on the lip. After two application of the polish.........the rainbow discoloration went away fron the lip.

Kevin
Old 10-01-2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by K-Shawn
Can you provide a picture of your lip..............I had the same problem, but I used Mothers Bullit Metal Polish on the lip. After two application of the polish.........the rainbow discoloration went away fron the lip.

Kevin

I'll try to post a picture later on tonight after work. I just might try the Mother's billet polish on them before I actually disassemble them. Its worth a try since I wouldn't be doing any more damage than I already have. I would have to buy the polish either way ....

I might cheat and jack the car up on some jackstands and put it in drive....I know, I know...it's dangerous. (reminds me of that scene in Ferris Bueller's day off )
Old 10-01-2007, 07:54 PM

Took a pic of the worst wheel, sorry about the camera phone pics........

Old 10-01-2007, 08:05 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

That's what my Gt-7s looked like.

I tried everything... Never Dull, Mother billet, Oven Cleaner (to strip anno), Dremel with jewelers rouge, Eastwood "wheel refinishing kit" and a drill. Gave up, found a poor sap to bust the aluminum down.

Went from this:

To this:

The raw polished aluminum was way brighter than OE annodization... but requires frequent polishing.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:46 PM

I tried the billet polish for about 15 minutes in one spot....no dice.

After seeing those pics, I can't wait to REALLY tear into these things to get that shine...

Have you tried using Zoopseal to reduce your frequent polishing?...I've heard nothing but the best about the product and I'm definitely going to give it a shot when I'm done re-finishing mine.

Link: Zoopseal site

Regarding the Eastwood kit....I'm surprised that it didn't do the job.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Advanced

How did they bust down the aluminum? and how much did it cost, if you dont mind my asking?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:40 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by NCSU TL
How did they bust down the aluminum? and how much did it cost, if you dont mind my asking?

NCSU TL... Check the links above, I discuss, rather in depth, what it took to get these right. Cost me $250, but I found an old VW repair shop that was "under the table". I took the wheels apart an reassembled myself.

Pistacio, the eastwood kit is a bit harsh, and you really need a crazy high speed drill for it to work. The guy that did my polish work did it all by hand stating with 1500 grit, and working up.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Advanced

I was thinking of trying the zoop on our semi wheels. not looking forward to polishing them very often. I seen it at eastwoods
Old 10-02-2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by billinohio
I was thinking of trying the zoop on our semi wheels. not looking forward to polishing them very often. I seen it at eastwoods
I was doing some research on Zoopseal last night.....expensive product! The application of the product seems like its an involved process in which the instructions must be strictly followed. Basically, it shouldn't be attempted without the utmost amount of patience. The link I posted also has instructions, and a section with a couple of videos from a segment on the show "Trucks!".