A-Spec vs. Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004 | 09:50 AM
Intermediate

A-Spec vs. Aftermarket

Quick question. I have a minor dilemma on my hands regarding the suspension. I want to have the A-Spec Suspension (only) on my car, but every dealership in PA that I've contacted tells me that I have to buy the entire A-Spec Package in order to get the suspension. Is this a line of BS? Can someone point me to a dealership that will ship me the components and I'll have my local mechanic/performance shop install? Does the A-Spec suspension include shocks or just spings that lower the car .5 inches?

Secondly. I was talking to the owner of a performance shop in the area and he was telling me to get the Comptech Lowering Springs ($250). It will drop the car 1 inch. If I go with the Comptech springs will that mess up my shocks b/c he is telling me that a 1 inch drop doesn't require the shoks to be replaced, just need an alignment?

Sorry to babble, but this decission has been making me crazy.

Bottom line, I want the car to handle better, but am afraid to mess up the ride quiality and the Comptech choice, as attactive at is is, just doesn't seem like it is correct. Help!
Old 08-21-2004 | 10:00 AM
Intermediate

Crap. Before anyone has to say it, I'll say it myself......"Do a search idiot!"

Now that is out of the way (just found the info. I was looking to capture and it looks like I don't want to go the Comptech springs route). The question of what dealership I can contact for A-Spec Suspension only remains.

Thanks all.
Old 08-22-2004 | 08:01 AM
Intermediate

55 views and not one comment.
Old 08-22-2004 | 09:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm not an expert on this, but you are not getting any other hits, so I'll tell you what I believe to be the case based upon this forum.

Yes, the dealers are supposed to only sell the kit, but some forum members have been able to buy just the suspension parts separately through e-bay.

The A-Spec suspension comes with the springs already mounted on the struts. This is great news because it makes installing them a snap. If you have mechanical skills you can do it yourself. But, because its so easy, paying a shop is not so bad either.

The A-spec suspension will lower you 3/4".

I would strongly recommend the A-Spec stuff vs other springs/shocks because they work so well together. The reviews on this forum have been very good.

The guys who have bought just the suspension parts (springs & shocks) have paid about $700 (not installed).

Hope this helps.
Old 08-22-2004 | 09:28 AM
Racer

I have been considering the same issues myself. IMHO, the stock shocks are the biggest problem with the TL as far as handling goes. Therefore, I would highly recommend the A-Spec suspension over just springs. (see neuronbobs excellent review) Also the Comptech bigger rear bar is getting good reviews.
BTW, two places to look for A-Spec Suspension :EBAY and acuraparts247.com
Old 08-23-2004 | 09:35 AM
Intermediate

Just saw the reveiw. Looks like A-Spec is my choice. Thanks all.