A-Spec Suspension & Wheels on EBay

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A-Spec Suspension & Wheels on EBay

Hey, since I've only just started looking into doing any mods on my 07 TL-S, I'm not sure if this is a good deal or just so-so. If it's not so great, where should I be looking for a better price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...spagenameZWD1V

Also, I can't imagine trying to get around Chicago on summer tires. Has anyone used All-season Ultra High Performance tires on the A-Spec wheels? If you have, can you make any recommendations?
Old 05-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in the town right next to you. Hi!

I have aspec wheels with ultra high performance rubber. I always roll on summer rubber (this car and past). I would not try to make it thru the winter on it though (I don't have a death wish). I always go back to my stock wheels with either all-season or dedicated winter tire usually around Halloween time, and switch back to my summers the first half of April. I've been doing this for about 10 years.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Pro

First, hello neighbor!! Great to see a local online. I appreciate your reply.

I understand completely about the 2 sets of wheels and tires, and have considered going that route since IMO it's the ideal way to handle Chicago area driving. However, I really don't want do deal with storing the 'other set' of wheels or swapping wheels seasonally, and would rather sell these FUGLY things that came with the TL-S.

Back on topic...think that's a good price on the EBay sale?
Old 05-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
You're not going to do much better on OEM parts than AofE.

However, you can always check the other dealers selling on eBay or with HondaAcuraWorld (Tim), one of the sites sponsors.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:48 PM
Racer

It's not a bad deal per se, I've thought about it... You may however want to understand that the kit you linked is for a 2006 and if I read right, you have a 2007.

Also be aware the coils/kit are different between MT and AT... I think guys with AT can use either, but dudes with MT will want the MT kit.

BTW - I'm in Plainfield
Old 05-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Its a good deal. Keep your stock wheels/tires for winter, and buy good summer tires for the A-Spec wheels. Like 245/40/18" Your car will look great~!

Don't forget installation of the A-Spec coilovers. Acura charges quite a bit. $200 should be an aprox install price from a shop.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Pro

Wow, another neighbor!

Good catch on the year...didn't think there was a difference in suspension between the 06 and 07 models, but there may well be. And since I do have a 6MT, I'd be sure to specify that before buying. Trust me, I would speak to these guys before ordering anything in that price range to be sure there were no fitment issues. But I do appreciate you bringing up the points. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2007, 03:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
I saw a set of A-Spec coilovers on eBay for $650 separate. On another day I saw a set of used 18" A-Spec wheels in near perfect condition for $950. Which is cheaper then the $2000 for the new set-up. Its your choice. But retail at Acura will be much more.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I live in the loop in Chi-town --
I ended up buying all my components (Aspec) off ebay couple years ago and paid just about what they're asking in this ebay auction. I spent $700 shipped (Falconi Acura) for the springs and $1200 for the rims (Falconi as well) .. in fact, I ended up getting my bodykit from them as well.

I installed them myself and saved hundreds$$$
Old 05-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Pro

You guys are great...thanks for the advise. I really do appreciate everyone chiming in. I'm not new to modding cars, but this is the first Acura I've owned and things are a bit different than with the US cars I've worked on in the past.

I'm getting my windows tinted this coming Monday. Got a guy who does an incredible job, and he's going to tint all the glass but the windsheild, and felt all the side window tracks for $305.

After looking at the suspension threads others have posted I found the DIY on installing the A-Spec coilovers, and I can handle that, so I do plan on installing the suspension myself. I think once I get the wheels and suspension in the car (You can never take a turn TOO HARD in my opinion!), I'm going to leave it pretty much stock. Since I will never race the car, this 3.5 engine hauls just fine for me, and other than the horrible OEM wheels and the big gap at the top of the tires, I love the look of the car just as it came out of the factory. Of course, there are always little tweeks that I have to do from time to time, but overall the car is awesome to me already.

<<<OFF TOPIC>>>With all these Chicago area members, we should do a meet! (Is there a regular group of guys that gather periodically already?) I do love seeing all the ideas and mods owners come up with. Would really enjoy sharing a beer and kicking tires sometime.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs
I'm getting my windows tinted this coming Monday. Got a guy who does an incredible job, and he's going to tint all the glass but the windsheild, and felt all the side window tracks for $305.

<<<OFF TOPIC>>>With all these Chicago area members, we should do a meet! (Is there a regular group of guys that gather periodically already?) I do love seeing all the ideas and mods owners come up with. Would really enjoy sharing a beer and kicking tires sometime.
Who is doing your windows and will they do mine? For that price?

We had a meet about a month ago down at Wilson Skate Park on the northside... I'm willing to go to another sometime, keep me in mind and let me know if something gets organized.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by onsknth
Who is doing your windows and will they do mine? For that price?

We had a meet about a month ago down at Wilson Skate Park on the northside... I'm willing to go to another sometime, keep me in mind and let me know if something gets organized.
Dave's Glass Tinting
Dave Krause
847-609-1610
He works out of:
Express Auto Glass
918 E Ogden
Naperville

Dave is a great guy, he spends about 4-5 hours doing the job, and he's extremely detail oriented. He's done a few cars of mine and some of friends as well. Never a bubble in the tint, cuts the tint within 1/16" from the top of the glass, and no windows he's done have ever peeled to my knowledge. Also always gets under the third brake light and he'll get the ENTIRE rear 1/4 windows. And I'm sure he'll do your windows for the same price, since he does not discount for me. He said he'd do the glass only (no felt) for $265.00. But since he's done the felt before I'd much rather have it done by a pro who guarantees the work.

As for a meet...I'm open for suggestions! Any Saturday afternoon works for me.

Damn, I just hijacked my own thread.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:09 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it, the TL-S suspension is already kick ass, I doubt you'll see any improvement versus the A-spec, also the wheels on the TL-S look better IMO. It's pointless in my opinion but if you'd like to go for it, I'd recommend spending your money on lightweight wheels anyway, that way it'll give you better performance.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Eoanou
I wouldn't recommend it, the TL-S suspension is already kick ass, I doubt you'll see any improvement versus the A-spec, also the wheels on the TL-S look better IMO. It's pointless in my opinion but if you'd like to go for it, I'd recommend spending your money on lightweight wheels anyway, that way it'll give you better performance.
I agree completely about the stock TL-S suspension being great. BUT...I HATE these wheels on the red car...and I like the A-Spec suspension because it gives me a 1" drop, and it's OEM, meaning no warantee issues. From what I can tell it won't change the ride much. And I really do like the look of the chrome 18's from Acura. I think they'll look great with the MRP...I've seen them on this color car and I love them. This would be mostly cosmetic, not looking for a performance gain. And with less than 1K miles on the TL-S Suspension, I could probably sell the existing setup for a few hundred bucks to help recoup the cost.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:25 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
I don't know if you noticed or not, but the auction you liked to does NOT include tires. There goes another $600... You would probably do much better with a set of eibach springs on your stock TL-S shocks. Then perhaps some aftermaket 18x8.5 +45 rims & 235/40/18 tires if you really want the look. Otherwise just sell/trade your TL-S wheels & get some used regular TL wheels. You can use the extra cash on the eibach springs...

I agree that the TL-S wheels are butt ugly though. I don't know what they were thinking...
Old 05-31-2007, 07:02 PM
Safety Car

I've read that the A-spec suspension is a bit tighter than the stock TL-S springs...

The irony of the TL-S rims are .. they are almost similar in shape (not color) to the Ford GT rims .. however, the shape looks ridiculously good on the Ford GT, LOL!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:02 PM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I grew up in Geneva. What can I say? How much is the tinting including felt?
Old 05-31-2007, 07:05 PM
Safety Car

Old 05-31-2007, 07:20 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I like the TL-S rims, but then again it's all personal preference. Anyway, no Acura dealer will warranty your A-spec suspension even if it is OEM. I tried getting Acura to install OEM parts from a cheaper source but they said if I purchased the parts they WOULD NOT warranty the work. It's happened to other people to with the A-spec kit. They bought the kit from a group buy for a discounted price, only to have the Acura dealer install them and screw it up. When the person complained to the dealer, they said that the parts were not purchased from them and that the parts they recieved were faulty, and they would not fix the poor job they did.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:26 PM
Burning Brakes

I bit the bullet bought from dealer and had dealer install. I was able to negotiate with the parts and service dept's seperately. It's obviously a lot cheaper buying off eBay and doing self install. I used to wrench on my car, but I have to many other problems to deal with where I'd rather just pay the dealer to do it. I bought everything from them, and they did the install, so I should not have any warranty issues. I dropped shipped the tires of my choice from tirerack to the dealer and had them mount up my tires. It was winter time, so they gave me and MDX to load my wheels up in and drive home.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:34 PM
Pro

I like the TL-S rims, but then again it's all personal preference. Anyway, no Acura dealer will warranty your A-spec suspension even if it is OEM. I tried getting Acura to install OEM parts from a cheaper source but they said if I purchased the parts they WOULD NOT warranty the work. It's happened to other people to with the A-spec kit. They bought the kit from a group buy for a discounted price, only to have the Acura dealer install them and screw it up. When the person complained to the dealer, they said that the parts were not purchased from them and that the parts they recieved were faulty, and they would not fix the poor job they did.

WOW. So much for the warrantee issue. See...that's why I joined the forum!

MINDWORM, The installation for the window tints with the felt is $305.00, without felt $265.00. If you're thinking of getting 'em done I think it's a fair price for very professional work.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:10 PM
Racer

WOW. So much for the warrantee issue. See...that's why I joined the forum!

MINDWORM, The installation for the window tints with the felt is $305.00, without felt $265.00. If you're thinking of getting 'em done I think it's a fair price for very professional work.
I'll be calling Dave soon...

As for the warranty... How does Acura know the A-spec wasn't installed at another Acura dealer? Sorry but I think fairly competent folk should be able to get this kit in, especially if it is an OEM kit. The alignment is another story.

But IMO - if you're buying a new suspension, especially one that's designed for the car, who gives a rats ass about a warranty on suspension compenents, you just bought one?

Further... Anyone ever hear of Magnuson Moss? It'd be a pretty hard sell that an OEM kit voids a warranty, I could understand if there are "black market" kits, but this doesn't appear to be the case.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:11 PM
Advanced

I asked my dealer if they would match the ebay price - they did. It was a cool deal. I'd sure give that a try. Saved a few $$ on shipping too.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:49 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Objectionableone
I asked my dealer if they would match the ebay price - they did. It was a cool deal. I'd sure give that a try. Saved a few $$ on shipping too.
It crossed my mind to do the same thing. There are enough Acura dealers in this area, so I will contact a few to see if they'll price-match.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
If the parts truly are faulty, you have a one year warranty from the seller...it's an Acura dealer, afterall. I believe he even states this in his ad.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Intermediate

Hey all you Chi-TLs! Anyone know what the legal tint is in IL?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Legal tint in illinois is anything on back seat windows... none on driver and passenger. Pretty much it's illegal.

It's a great reason for a cop to pull you over to check sobriety. Be very careful.

EDIT:
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN ILLINOIS?
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Illinois, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
• Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
• Front Side Windows No tint can be applied legally to this window.
• Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
• Rear Window Any darkness can be used.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Advanced

It crossed my mind to do the same thing. There are enough Acura dealers in this area, so I will contact a few to see if they'll price-match.

Thanks.
I hope it works out for you
Old 06-02-2007, 05:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Your dealer was BSing you in order to get you to buy it from them. I've had A-Spec installed on my TL and my RL by my dealer. They indicated (and I researched this with them beforehand) that they are covered by a one year warranty when you purchase from an authorized Acura dealer. If the suspension or body kit are purchased along with the car, they are covered by the new car warranty for 4yr/50k. This is one reason I jumped on A-Spec when it became available--warranty coverage.

Besides, A-Spec rocks. I haven't driven a TL-S, though, so I can't compare it to that.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I've read that the A-spec suspension is a bit tighter than the stock TL-S springs...

The irony of the TL-S rims are .. they are almost similar in shape (not color) to the Ford GT rims .. however, the shape looks ridiculously good on the Ford GT, LOL!

I have to admit, those look freaking incredible on the GT (can't believe you could recognize that similarity! Very observant!)
Another user posted pics of these OEM TLS wheels after having them chromed, and they looked MUCH better. But IMO for the price and inconvenience of having that done...they're still only 17's...and not that great looking on the TLS. So I'd still like new ones. I always liked 5-spoke wheels in either bright silver or chrome(Classic thinking for us old guys). I saw an 06 TL in MRP with wheels like that and they made the MRP color just POP! I really want that look! Once again, just my opinion, but these OEM wheels just to nothing for the look of this vehicle.