A-SPEC suspension long-term issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to start another A-SPEC thread but I didn't want to hijack anyone else's as they weren't speaking exactly as to what I want to ask. That being said, can anyone speak to the long-term effects on the car you've seen from having the A-SPEC suspension? Specifically, is there any tire feathering (read this in a couple of other threads)? Were there any issues post-install? I know a four-wheel alignment is recommended right after install but did the majority of you need a camber kit?

I'm getting my bonus in a couple of days and I'm seriously considering the A-SPEC suspension (and the AEM CAI) but I want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into. I have the stock OEM 17" rims for now but I'm also planning on upgrading my tires to Toyo Proxes 4 before the winter. Any issues with the A-SPEC suspension and the OEM rims? I know the A-SPEC kit comes with 18" rims and it sounds like a lot of you have aftermarket 18" and larger rims.

As always, any thoughts/advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-LOD
Old 09-12-2005, 09:42 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 04 cars seem to have more problems with a-spec suspension but then again they have more miles so maybe 05 will have problems too.

The problem that occurs is the tires feather and then become very loud and wear fast. I have not heard anything that indicates this has been fixed, but I have heard pretty much only 04 owners complaining.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
i have absolutely no problem with my aspec suspension- best upgrade you can do, and an easy install...
Old 09-13-2005, 07:33 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by legionofdoom
Sorry to start another A-SPEC thread but I didn't want to hijack anyone else's as they weren't speaking exactly as to what I want to ask. That being said, can anyone speak to the long-term effects on the car you've seen from having the A-SPEC suspension? Specifically, is there any tire feathering (read this in a couple of other threads)? Were there any issues post-install? I know a four-wheel alignment is recommended right after install but did the majority of you need a camber kit?

I'm getting my bonus in a couple of days and I'm seriously considering the A-SPEC suspension (and the AEM CAI) but I want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into. I have the stock OEM 17" rims for now but I'm also planning on upgrading my tires to Toyo Proxes 4 before the winter. Any issues with the A-SPEC suspension and the OEM rims? I know the A-SPEC kit comes with 18" rims and it sounds like a lot of you have aftermarket 18" and larger rims.

As always, any thoughts/advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-LOD
I have the same concerns. I want to use the 17" wheels with the A-SPEC suspension. But if the A-SPEC suspension eats the tires I would rather pass.

Just as a follow-up; I installed the Comptech RSB & the results were fantastic. Has anyone installed the Comptech RSB first and then, at a later point in time, installed the A-SPEC suspension? If so, could you please comment on the ride after the install of the A-SPEC suspension.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Racer

DM,

Do you have the AT? I've heard that the RSB in the MT isn't that dramatic of a difference because it's already longer. I have the MT and will probably just do the A-SPEC. If it's not that big of a difference I think I'd prefer to keep it as stock as possible.

-LOD

Originally Posted by dmcconnell99
I have the same concerns. I want to use the 17" wheels with the A-SPEC suspension. But if the A-SPEC suspension eats the tires I would rather pass.

Just as a follow-up; I installed the Comptech RSB & the results were fantastic. Has anyone installed the Comptech RSB first and then, at a later point in time, installed the A-SPEC suspension? If so, could you please comment on the ride after the install of the A-SPEC suspension.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I've had my ASPEC suspension on my 04 for a little over 3k miles (it's hard to rack up the miles when you're 6 miles from the office). The only problem I had was not getting an alignment after install...gave me some extra tire wear on the outside of my rear tires...after an alignment, all was good. I had the OEM 17's with the Bridgestone's on for 99% of the 3k miles. Now I have 19's with Proxes 4's, and see no odd tire wear or any other problems.

As for the CT RSB on an MT...it's only $100 and you have to unlink the stock one to install the suspension...might as well pull it out and put in the CT...adds 10 minutes to the install.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:09 AM
Pro

I had the A-Spec for my RSX-S and I got both the front and rear camber kit. My tires still worn out after 20k miles. I loved the handling but too scared to drive to fast and worry about pot holes. I was thinking about getting the suspension for my TL, but I don't want to keep buying tires and getting alingments. To me reguardless if you have the camber kit, the tires will wear out unevenly but not as fast if you have the camber kit. A lot of people say a one inch drop you don't need a camber kit. I don't believe that because my camber was way off when I had the suspension installed. Good thing I had the camber kit to have them install it. Getting the suspension is nice, but I would worry too much on tire thread and shocks, pot holes and my driving habits.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:40 AM
信是寶

I have had the aspec shocks, springs and 18" rims on my 04' 6MT since early spring and put around 16k miles on her with no problems so far. I rotate the tires with every oil change and check my tire pressure every bi-weekly.

I did have to get an alignment after hitting a huge pothole a month ago, but have had no abnormal wear, cupping or feathering so far.

I will be putting the stock 17" rims and winter tires on around Christmas and we'll see how they do.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:05 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

-LOD

Got all that stuff installed....(see sig below)....not probs whatsoever. No uneven wear, etc. noize, nothing. Best upgrade you can do dude!
Old 09-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Advanced

I HAVE ASPEC SUSPENSION WITH STOCK 17" WHEELS. REPLACED STOCK TIRES (EL-42) AT 16,000 MI. THEY WERE WORN OUT. WAS UPSET AT FIRST, HOWEVER SEEMS LIKE ASPEC OR NO ASPEC THE STOCK TIRES ARE GETTING REPLACED BEFORE 25,000 BY MOST PEOPLE. THIS I THINK IS A RESULT OF THE TIRE. I AM MUCH HAPPIER WITH THE REPLACEMENT AND WOULDN'T GIVE UP THE ASPEC FOR ANYTHING. I HAVE 3 CO WORKERS WHO HAVE TL'S ALSO AND I AM THE ONLY ONE WITH ASPEC. HANDLING IS NIGHT AND DAY IN COMPARISON.
READ HER IN REGARDS TO TIRE LIFE: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=EL42
Old 09-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Burning Brakes

hey lrvace, do u have a pic of your car? I wanna see how the TL looks like on the aspec suspension with the stock 17" wheels
Old 09-19-2005, 12:22 PM
tTLiang

-LOD
04 A-spec with no problem at all. 17" don't do it justice. get the 18". i don't think this tire wear problem is exclusively with A-spec. i don't think it's that wide spread either otherwise we have a re-call already. most likely alighment QC out of factory, people drop their height without re-align etc. etc. my summer tires are much louder but they stick so it's OK with me (most of the time). you'll like the handling a lot compare to your stock. you don't really have to touch RSB if you have a 6MT. the difference is really minimal. u'll notice the diff. if u do it on 5AT since its dia. is much smaller.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Shift_faster

No long term issues with A-Spec. My EL42s wore out by 19K miles. I put Toyo Proxes on after that, and I have not noticed any unusual wear to the rear tires. I have close to 23K miles now.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Racer

Pooch,

Are you running on the OEM 17"s?

-LOD

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
No long term issues with A-Spec. My EL42s wore out by 19K miles. I put Toyo Proxes on after that, and I have not noticed any unusual wear to the rear tires. I have close to 23K miles now.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Banned

long term effects

If you have not installed the heavier duty rear camber adjusters yet I would suggest you do so. I got mine from Comptechusa.com
Old 09-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scott04TL
If you have not installed the heavier duty rear camber adjusters yet I would suggest you do so. I got mine from Comptechusa.com
I am also installing the Comptechusa.com rear sway bar as soon as I get it.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I have had the A-Spec suspension, with stock 17" wheels, on my '04 TL for almost 1 1/2 years and nearly 30k miles (I have a total of 38k miles on the car now).

No issues whatsoever with excess tire wear.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:02 AM
Advanced

WHATJONES911 I DIDN'T WANT TO HIJACK THIS THREAD SO I POSTED IN THE PHOTO SECTION. IF YOU ARE STILL LOOKING FOR PICS OF ASPEC WITH OEM WHEELS:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123452
Old 09-25-2005, 02:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey neuronbob, do you have a pic of your car on the a-spec suspension?
Old 09-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Irvace's pictures are close to my car. The only difference is that mine is SSM instead of NBP. The drop is barely noticeable, which is frankly part of the appeal of A-Spec--I just want better suspension performance and don't care about slamming my car.

Old 09-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Shift_faster

Pooch,

Are you running on the OEM 17"s?

-LOD
I was running the OEM 17's for about 8K miles before I switched up to aftermarket 18's.