Snow Tire recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 12:23 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I USE THE BLIZZACK WS-50 BY BRIDGESTONE ON A SET OF 17'S KAZERA KZ-T'S (silver)
It looks pretty decent and at least I have dedicated tires and rims. I got them put on thursday last week and I got caught in the storm on Friday! They preformed beautifully and the rides not as noisey as I had anticipated.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Advanced

I recently put on 16" Blizzaks with a cheap aluminum rim from Tirerack, $859 delivered. Today its been snowing like crazy and I am pleased with their performance, a real night and day difference from the stock tires. Down side to switching tires back and forth from the same rim is that it takes its toll on the sidewall and tire lip. I have heard as little as three changeovers and you can ruin a tire.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:01 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am I the only one riding on Pirelli Snowsport 240 tires? I live in Pittsburgh and we get all kinds of wintery mix here. Been driving on these for about 2 weeks now, and will say this, they are great on ice and slush. But they have been a bit spotty on snow, almost seems they take a second or two to find their grip on the snow. Very quiet, and absolutely great in dry conditions. They have an XL load rating, and I believe the speed rating was high as well. If you know anything about the Pzero Nero all seasons, I will say they are as good PLUS are qualified for wintery mix!

I can't say anything on tread wear though. They may only last this winter. My Pzero neros only lasted 13,000 miles.

IMHO, if you can get/afford 16 steel rims and Blizzacks, do it. I have a 6mt and therefore could not.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Instructional Designer

Recommending Hankook Ice Bears

I'm into my second winter on Hankook Icebears. First winter I drove 220 mi/day roundtrip between Hartford, CT and Cambridge, MA.

No complaints despite driving in all types of winter/mixed weather including now more icy than snowy having moved to SW Ohio.

I'm used to Blizzaks on our minivan but wanted something quieter/sportier. I've had the TL up to 120+ on them (dry) and ~90 (snow/ice/wet). Very controlled/forgiving if you know how to drive in inclement weather (not panicking).

I intend to purchase them again (in fact already have two new fronts thanks to a New Jersey pothole blowout). Good price too. I see 4 on eBay for sub $320.

I have a about 49K miles on my August 04 TL.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:59 AM
10th Gear

Fellow Montrealer here as well!

I recently had installed on my car four Vredestien Wintrac Extremes. They are excellent tires and perform very well in the snow. They are also W speed rated and are made in 235/45/17.
Check out their website http://www.vredestein.com/autobanden/Index.asp?TaalID=3
They aren't cheap (CDN$300 each), but I am very satisfied with them.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Let me know what you find Phil, I'm in Chicago and I'm gonna get some 17" snow tires too.
John-

In response to your post, I went with the Hankooks (standard TL 17" size) at Discount Tire locally for the winter tires. About $630.00 mounted on my OEM rims and put on the car. So far so good. Can't say anything about long term wear, but they ride nice and are for the most part quiet. Not much of a problem in snow, but I guess I will find out soon how they do on ice, given the weather that seems to be heading our way this week from the West Coast. My friend went with Michelins on his Camry and loves them. He's a loyal Michelin customer though. Which way did you go for snows? Phil B.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:56 PM
Car Addict

I'm still riding on 14K oem tires. I still need one of the IL guys to rave on how snow tires make a real difference.

I live in Chicago, and they plow really well, so it's unlikely I will get stuck anywhere except my own alley. But I typically will shovel some of it since we have two cars that have to negotiate that alley mouth.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:22 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

To reiterate

Dunlop M3's, did the northeast driving without a problem
Old 12-30-2005, 09:22 PM
S2000: S stands for Sheep

Originally Posted by kenshin863
I USE THE BLIZZACK WS-50 BY BRIDGESTONE ON A SET OF 17'S KAZERA KZ-T'S (silver)
It looks pretty decent and at least I have dedicated tires and rims. I got them put on thursday last week and I got caught in the storm on Friday! They preformed beautifully and the rides not as noisey as I had anticipated.
I agree...just got them and they perform really well..even on ice surprisingly..
Old 12-31-2005, 02:38 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by AutoGirl
I agree...just got them and they perform really well..even on ice surprisingly..
Actually, not surprising at all since the Blizzak WS-50's "claim to fame" is the ability to actually provide some grip on ice. Sure they give up some dry performance but I get snow tires for how they are when it is snowy/icy out.

Get ready to have no clue about what everyone means by "it was so slippery on the way to work today" You will wonder if you are going crazy since you didn't notice it being that slippery out. Your not crazy, you just have WS-50s and they probably have all seasons with only 30% tread left. As long as you can keep all of them away from you on the road you will be all set.

I'm sold on them. We have them on both cars an I wouldn't ever second guess it.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I'm still riding on 14K oem tires. I still need one of the IL guys to rave on how snow tires make a real difference.

I live in Chicago, and they plow really well, so it's unlikely I will get stuck anywhere except my own alley. But I typically will shovel some of it since we have two cars that have to negotiate that alley mouth.
John- I won't rave on snows, but I am a believer after many years. While it may seem like a waste of money, I believe the stopping power on snow and ice is what adds the value to having them on your ride. The taking off part seems a bit moot to me in snow and freezing rain. I don't want to a** end someone in front of me. Anecdotally, I have two partners who have both taken my advice and bought a set of snows (Blizzaks and Michelins) for their own and spouse's cars and they whole heartedly agree with me on these points. It really comes down to storage in the off season and cost (to buy and to change out).

That said, you might have been more inclined to have purchased them in December when Illinois had more snow than it does now. 40 degrees F in January? That's sick! I remember 1982-83 with the Wind Chill sub zero.

Car thoughts from a FIB.

Phil B
Old 01-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by Phil B
John- I won't rave on snows, but I am a believer after many years. While it may seem like a waste of money, I believe the stopping power on snow and ice is what adds the value to having them on your ride. The taking off part seems a bit moot to me in snow and freezing rain. I don't want to a** end someone in front of me. Anecdotally, I have two partners who have both taken my advice and bought a set of snows (Blizzaks and Michelins) for their own and spouse's cars and they whole heartedly agree with me on these points. It really comes down to storage in the off season and cost (to buy and to change out).

That said, you might have been more inclined to have purchased them in December when Illinois had more snow than it does now. 40 degrees F in January? That's sick! I remember 1982-83 with the Wind Chill sub zero.

Car thoughts from a FIB.

Phil B
Yeah it was 53 here today and its THE MIDDLE OF JANUARY.
Should I even BOTHER putting on winter/all season tires? hah
Old 01-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Car Addict

I heard it might snow on Friday. You might have the last laugh Phil. I got stuck back in Feb/2005, it sucked pretty bad.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:13 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil B
... Anecdotally, I have two partners who have both taken my advice and bought a set of snows (Blizzaks and Michelins) for their own and spouse's cars and they whole heartedly agree with me on these points. It really comes down to storage in the off season and cost (to buy and to change out..
Phil B
Same here, anyone I know who finally decided to get good snow tires never second guessed the decision.

Everyone always thinks in terms of starting/acceleration traction, vsa, etc. but that's not the most important part . Sure it is important to not get stuck but stopping power is equally, if not more, important. Stopping distances can be much shorter with something like a Blizzak than the OEM tires. If the wheels skid/lock then the ABS kicks in. This helps maintain steering but makes the car "roll out" more. The difference can be dramatic. Better grip means less locking up means shorter stopping.

Ever hear someone say "that's where the rubber meats the road"? Well it's true. When it comes down to it all "where the rubber meats the road" is key. All the TCS, VSA, ABS, BLAH BLAH BLAH can't make up for lousy grip. (I don't dislike TCS, VSA, ABS, BLAH BLAH BLAH. I just don't see it as a substitute for grip)
Old 01-20-2006, 06:42 AM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Adobeman
Same here, anyone I know who finally decided to get good snow tires never second guessed the decision.

Everyone always thinks in terms of starting/acceleration traction, vsa, etc. but that's not the most important part . Sure it is important to not get stuck but stopping power is equally, if not more, important. Stopping distances can be much shorter with something like a Blizzak than the OEM tires. If the wheels skid/lock then the ABS kicks in. This helps maintain steering but makes the car "roll out" more. The difference can be dramatic. Better grip means less locking up means shorter stopping.

Ever hear someone say "that's where the rubber meats the road"? Well it's true. When it comes down to it all "where the rubber meats the road" is key. All the TCS, VSA, ABS, BLAH BLAH BLAH can't make up for lousy grip. (I don't dislike TCS, VSA, ABS, BLAH BLAH BLAH. I just don't see it as a substitute for grip)
Totally agree about all the ABs, VSa etc... You know in winter it's better without ABS, I have a problem actually all my security systems are disable because an ABS sensor has to be changed and is back order.

Here in Montreal there is some ice storm, and even with snow tires the ABS system is too sensitiv, even at very slow speed in town when the abs kicks in i need to releave the pressure on brake pedal to make the car stop shorter.

All people think that this system are a must, even the mecanic guy didn't think i would take my car and drive it with all the security off, he thought i ll let my car untill the BO parts arrives. Hey, i don't wan't to spend one week or more in a CSX !
Old 01-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Team Anthracite #100

I chose to go the studded tire route. There's no kill like overkill
Picked up a set of used OEM 17" for $400 and had studded 225/45/17 Pirelli Winter Carving tires mounted.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Winter+Carving
No wheel protection at all, but they work awesome! I ran into packed ice going through the mountains, and not one problem. They don't handle like my 18" Toyo Proxes in the dry. But that's the price I'm willing to pay to avoid going into the ditch. Good thing winter is only a few months.

KBOM
Old 01-21-2006, 11:50 AM
Car Addict

We got a little snow, nothing crazy.

But I have Aspec wheels for the summer, and when next fall rolls around, I'll have over 20K on the stock OEM tires, so then I will do snow tires.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:16 AM
Instructor

got the car for 4 month and running on Toyo garrit ht 215-50-16 load rating of 97 speed rating H. on packed snow,wet,dry those are perfect,8 out of 10 on ice a little less on slushy road but its 215 the 205 would be better but all around damn good tire and the noise 8 out 10