Should i get the megan racing ksport or tein coilovers (price vs quality)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should i get the megan racing ksport or tein coilovers (price vs quality)

Tein is a bit much in terms of cost but if the quality is that much better than that is the choice, but megan racing and Ksport seem to be getting mixed reviews , called a few companies they endorsed megan for the pillow tops included for cmber adjsutment but say that Ksport customer service is better and Tein is the best but muchmore expensive ( what do i do please post pics of drops with different suspension set ups)
Old 02-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by champiro1
Tein is a bit much in terms of cost but if the quality is that much better than that is the choice, but megan racing and Ksport seem to be getting mixed reviews , called a few companies they endorsed megan for the pillow tops included for cmber adjsutment but say that Ksport customer service is better and Tein is the best but muchmore expensive ( what do i do please post pics of drops with different suspension set ups)
well welcome to AcuraZine, people are going to tell you to search......
Everyone is going to give you mixed reviews, my question is what does a picture of the setups have to do with anything they do the same thing, lower your car?? what you should ask people is how it rides etc....
Old 02-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
don't forget about h&r coilovers. perfect combination for street/track use w/ limited body roll. the ride quality is stiffer than stock, but not back breaking, its just right..

talk to mike at acuratlparts.com, he'll be of help
Old 02-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Cruisin'

thank you for the advice ,that is correct what i meant to say is what is the quality of the ride of these and or the H&R coilovers , the reference to the pics, would be how low are they riding to make the ride rougher or smoother, handling, ease or difficulty in making adjustments ETC.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

h&r is well know in the euro community. vdubs..bmw's etc, they have a lifetime warranty

they can go down 2.5" all around which is considerably low, and in any car.. the lower you are the stiffer the ride becomes..

handling wise-they're great as a daily driver + an autox car for the weekends

to make a adjustments is extremely simple.. jack up the car, remove the wheel, use the supplied spanner wrenches to go up and down

www.acuratlparts.com , contact mike if youre interested
Old 02-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ Do they make Buddy Club N+ for the 3G TL? Been trying to find it on the forums... I keep ending up in TSX and RSX forums...
Old 02-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gatdammit
^ Do they make Buddy Club N+ for the 3G TL? Been trying to find it on the forums... I keep ending up in TSX and RSX forums...
I tried looking for accord 03-07 buddy clubs but on their website for hondas/acuras they're only available for s2ks, tsx's, rsxs, civics, and integras

http://www.buddyclub.us/buddyclub/n_..._plusapps.html
Old 02-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Burning Brakes

^ so what do you think about the megans? I got Tein Basics right now... There feel mushy to me... And there's hella body roll still. Plus, they're squeaky. Are the SS's any better? Pillow Ball Upper mounts worth it for the SS's? EDFC seems cool though. Maybe I need my RSB installed? SOrry for the bombardment, I'm really thinking of gettin' rid of my basics right now.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Instructor

ditto on teins, people are saying its definately stiffer than stock but if u like riding stiff and go for it.

as for me, i just finished installing KONI yellow adjustable struts in the front w/ eibach pro series 1" drop and i was blown away w/ the results. mind you i was riding eibach around w/ 1" drop but i disliked the excessive wheel gap in the front so i replaced them w/ koni yellows and added a fully adjustabe camber kit. now i'm riding 1.65 drop front and 1" in the back (stock strut w/ Eibach springs) its PERFECT. i have a 1 finger gap around now.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Cruisin'

I like a stiffer ride My civic i ran integra H&R springs and koni shocks that was a good ride, although I have to admit i dont want to break my ass in my TL, and I want the camber adjust form the Megans, Im dissappointed to hear negative things about Teins
Old 02-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ so what do you think about the megans? I got Tein Basics right now... There feel mushy to me... And there's hella body roll still. Plus, they're squeaky. Are the SS's any better? Pillow Ball Upper mounts worth it for the SS's? EDFC seems cool though. Maybe I need my RSB installed? SOrry for the bombardment, I'm really thinking of gettin' rid of my basics right now.
I wouldn't know much about megans in regards to ride quality, but I do know they're dumpable, just look at viptl

Alot of people prefer having dampening adjustability, which the h&r coilovers don't have, but I've been in some cars with adjustable dampening on full soft and its stiffer than my coilovers. It all really depends on ride height

Super streets... ughh.. I don't know much, but I do know almost everyone prefers that they can go lower.. when they're maxed out its not that great of a drop.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Megan doesn't offer pillowball mounts for our model.

However, I recommend them highly. They are stiff when needed, but ride really nice. I'm at a medium setting on damper. No squeaks or noises.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Instructor

how does the stiffness of the h&r coilovers compare to the basics?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flip_side
I wouldn't know much about megans in regards to ride quality, but I do know they're dumpable, just look at viptl

Alot of people prefer having dampening adjustability, which the h&r coilovers don't have, but I've been in some cars with adjustable dampening on full soft and its stiffer than my coilovers. It all really depends on ride height

Super streets... ughh.. I don't know much, but I do know almost everyone prefers that they can go lower.. when they're maxed out its not that great of a drop.
Well is the only reason you said "ugh" to the super streets b/c they can't go lower? hahaa... Well I got 20s on anyways, so I don't think I can dump it. I just want some nice quality coil overs that aren't that bouncy. I mean you get these Basics on the right road and you're all over the place, you get it in a nice corner and the body is rolling like crazy. Plus, the squeaks and crap don't give me a lotta confidence in them. So it looks like I may be leaning more towards the Megans or if I can find an equivalent, the Buddy Clubs... I definitely want the pillow mounts, I wanna stiffer ride if it means keeping the car planted.

Trew,

How many miles you got on those Megans?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well is the only reason you said "ugh" to the super streets b/c they can't go lower? hahaa... Well I got 20s on anyways, so I don't think I can dump it. I just want some nice quality coil overs that aren't that bouncy. I mean you get these Basics on the right road and you're all over the place, you get it in a nice corner and the body is rolling like crazy. Plus, the squeaks and crap don't give me a lotta confidence in them. So it looks like I may be leaning more towards the Megans or if I can find an equivalent, the Buddy Clubs... I definitely want the pillow mounts, I wanna stiffer ride if it means keeping the car planted.

Trew,

How many miles you got on those Megans?
haha not really.. before the tl I had an rsx and for 2 years Ive always wanted teins.. of those 2 years people everywhere had teins and it started to become a bandwagon coilover.

I can't guarantee the h&r's are going to be for you because well im not you, but as a recommendation I'd choose the h&rs.

You should'nt be worried too much about the coilovers, because well almost every coilover makes a sound...

I have about 7 months on my h&rs and its been the same ever since the day I installed them
Old 02-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Bored at work

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try a suspension callled nex..they just came out with a set for tls....i had them on a civic si a few years back and the ride was great...they have top mounts and can go very low.. i have the tein basics now and am thinking of getting the nex...
Old 02-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tl2slow
try a suspension callled nex..they just came out with a set for tls....i had them on a civic si a few years back and the ride was great...they have top mounts and can go very low.. i have the tein basics now and am thinking of getting the nex...

ha I wrote about this in another thread but yea... I"m thinking about getting rid of the Basics too for another setup... just don' tknow which one.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Cruisin'

which nex suspension set up has pillow top mounts and which is full dampining capabilities the prices vary from 810 up
Old 02-23-2009, 08:18 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
imo TEIN!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Bored at work

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
both have the top mounts and the gt series has damping control...its only 4 clicks but its something and for the price its a great buy...
Old 02-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Burning Brakes

^ NEX? where are they made? I guess it doesn't matter as long as it's quality, but I still use it as a partial indicator as to quality (whether I am right to or not).
Old 02-24-2009, 12:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Megan has the worst customer service IMO. I'm not a big fan of their products either.

K Sport is the best bang for the buck in terms of features and options.

TEIN is the best build quality and overall the best choice IMO.

H&R is great and we use them a lot for the Audi/VW/BMW community but they are over-priced and you can get the same quality and performance from TEIN for a lot less of a price tag, at least for the parts you would be looking at.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
I am going to install my Tein SS soon, should I get the TEIN pillowball upper mounts? I was just going to use my OEM mounts.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:00 AM
Burning Brakes

^ that's what i want... the upper mounts... I would get them, and if there's no other choice then I'll prolly end up getting the SSs too...
Old 02-25-2009, 06:19 AM
3rd Gear

i honestly think tein are over rated. the cheapest teins are usually the basic, and they don't have adjustable dampers and will drop your car, but i doubt they usually can put your frame on the floor.

if you are looking at megan to save money, look at other good bang for your buck such as BC or Stance.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:28 AM
Burning Brakes

^ Buddy Club is definitely in the range, but do they have an application for the 3G? Like I said I just keep ending up in the TSX section. I haven't heard of anyone with it on the 3G TL... if I'm wrong let me know. I wanna price quote on the BC's... N+ right? And i know what you mean about the Teins.

Sorry for the hijack... I know these were supposed to be about Megans...
Old 02-25-2009, 01:20 PM
My username is lame

i just got tein ss's too. i havent installed it yet though. i think teins are a lot more reliable and well known. I emailed them a question, and they responded in about a day.

the only thing im not sure about right now is weather to get a camber kit or not. Right now im on tein s-techs, without a camber kit and its fine. but the camber is already at -2.0 on the rear right, and -1.8 on the left already.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Chapter Leader (New England)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Camber kits are a matter of preference IMO. I'm running -2.5 on the rear of my other car, and yes the tires wear on the inside, but I've had the same tires on the back for about a year and a half and they're just now getting to the point where they're going to have to be replaced.

As for front camber kits.....they're useless IMO unless you're so low you're almost on the subframe.