Scraped wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 03:27 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scraped wheel

Just got my TL a week ago and already made a very bad driving move. I cut a turn a little too sharp pulling into a parking spot and scraped my back passenger side wheel. Not much damage at all and not very noticeable, but it still makes me sick to my stomach. Does anyone have experience with this type of scrape on the alloy part of the wheel? Can it be buffed/smoothed out? If so, where do you recommend I go for the work (dealership or private garage)?

By the way, the scrape is about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide, just above the tire on one of the five spokes.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Dude, I hate that for you. I did that 2 weeks ago, and I contacted mobile wheel repair. They have locations in Davidson County, where I live, and in Shelby County, I think.

I can tell you that they sent out a guy to my office, and he completely repaired my damaged wheel in about 40 minutes during lunch (at a charge of $75). It's amazing how well they repaired my rim...looks like it's never been scraped/curbed whatsoever. Given that they came to me and completely repaired that wheel, I think $75 was a bargain.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by UGA1998
Just got my TL a week ago and already made a very bad driving move. I cut a turn a little too sharp pulling into a parking spot and scraped my back passenger side wheel. Not much damage at all and not very noticeable, but it still makes me sick to my stomach. Does anyone have experience with this type of scrape on the alloy part of the wheel? Can it be buffed/smoothed out? If so, where do you recommend I go for the work (dealership or private garage)?

By the way, the scrape is about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide, just above the tire on one of the five spokes.
If you cant find a place to repair it for cheap, do a search online for DIY wheel repair. If its not bad, you can probably fix it yourself. All you need is different grades of sand paper and some rubbing compound. In another car forum I used to surf, someone posted before and after pics of his DIY wheel refinishing. He explained how he did it step by step, and you couldnt tell anything was ever wrong with his wheel. I had to get a wheel fixed once, cost me 200 bucks. The wheel I had bought for 1200 a piece, so I just shelled out 200 bucks to get it professionally repaired. But there is no way in hell i would pay 200 bucks to repair the stock wheels. Just drive them till you need to change tires and buy yourself a new set of aftermarket rims then.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cccjoecool
Dude, I hate that for you. I did that 2 weeks ago, and I contacted mobile wheel repair. They have locations in Davidson County, where I live, and in Shelby County, I think.

I can tell you that they sent out a guy to my office, and he completely repaired my damaged wheel in about 40 minutes during lunch (at a charge of $75). It's amazing how well they repaired my rim...looks like it's never been scraped/curbed whatsoever. Given that they came to me and completely repaired that wheel, I think $75 was a bargain.
BTW, the website with more info is www.mobilewheelrepair.com. Forgot to include that earlier.