Rock Mugen GPs or Sell/Trade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock Mugen GPs or Sell/Trade?

OK so I have had BNIB set of Gunmetal Mugen GPs sitting in my garage for over two years now. I initially bought them to put on my 07 Civic Si but at that point I was living in upstate NY and didnt want to ruin them during the harsh winters up there, and didnt see a point in mounting them for the two months it didnt snow.

Anyway now I am contemplating if I want to mount them on my TL or not. The wheels do have there good points. I just dont know if they are aggressive enough for me Or even if they will fit (i am 6MT.) If I dont I will probably sell them or trade them for something more aggressive.

What do you guys/gals think I should do?

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 10-28-2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Fixed
Old 10-27-2011, 06:06 PM
3.5L...enough said

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Posts some pics of them...What are the specs?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Dylan, if you decide to sell or trade them, Acurazine has a Black Market where you can do exactly that-sell or trade them.

Best of luck with your wheels and know that Acurazine might be able to help you, if you don't want them anymore.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Where you do live now? If you don't get the snow like northern NY, then perhaps you can mount them for all year use. On the other hand if they have been sitting around for two years and you're not sure if they are aggressive enough, they may not be of your liking. Like was mentioned, what are the specs? Offset? And post pics.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:50 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts

Very nice wheel. And very light too.

Funny thing is the Mugen copied the A-Tech Eraser (MB Motorsport Weapon in the US) which only cost $550-$650 for a set:

Last edited by 94eg!; 10-28-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:22 AM
3.5L...enough said

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Oh yea those are some pretty nice wheels...if they are Mugen, throw em on! If they aren't aggressive enough add some spacers! Mugen = win
Old 10-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 07TLTypeS420
Posts some pics of them...What are the specs?
see below that is them. They are the ones that came with the Mugen Si.
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Dylan, if you decide to sell or trade them, Acurazine has a Black Market where you can do exactly that-sell or trade them.

Best of luck with your wheels and know that Acurazine might be able to help you, if you don't want them anymore.
Thank you
Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Where you do live now? If you don't get the snow like northern NY, then perhaps you can mount them for all year use. On the other hand if they have been sitting around for two years and you're not sure if they are aggressive enough, they may not be of your liking. Like was mentioned, what are the specs? Offset? And post pics.
I live in Hawaii now which would work good for year round use. I am pretty sure they are 18x7.5 +45
Originally Posted by 94eg!

Very nice wheel. And very light too.

Funny thing is the Mugen copied the A-Tech Eraser (MB Motorsport Weapon in the US) which only cost $550-$650 for a set:

Oh i see that are they just as light as the Mugens though?
Originally Posted by 07TLTypeS420
Oh yea those are some pretty nice wheels...if they are Mugen, throw em on! If they aren't aggressive enough add some spacers! Mugen = win
Ive noticed here will the TLs that many use spacers, but arent they bad for your wheel bearings?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:54 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
Originally Posted by dylan si
Oh i see that are they just as light as the Mugens though?

Ive noticed here will the TLs that many use spacers, but arent they bad for your wheel bearings?
No not as light as they are not forged. The mugens ARE very light. I once compared one to an HFP 18", and the weight difference was very obvious.

Using a wheel spacer is almost exactly the same as installing a lower offset rim. There are just two difference. Once is the fact that most wheel spacers aren't hub-centric which can cause wheel vibration over time (correctable by removing and re-isntalling your lug nuts. The other difference that the more spacer you use, the less threads are being engaged by the lug-nuts. This means it may require extended studs (which also usually requires new wheel bearings).

Yes spacers and/or low-offsets are bad for the wheel bearing. Having said that, I've not heard of a bearing failure related to this, but most people don't keep their cars that long.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 94eg!
No not as light as they are not forged. The mugens ARE very light. I once compared one to an HFP 18", and the weight difference was very obvious.

Using a wheel spacer is almost exactly the same as installing a lower offset rim. There are just two difference. Once is the fact that most wheel spacers aren't hub-centric which can cause wheel vibration over time (correctable by removing and re-isntalling your lug nuts. The other difference that the more spacer you use, the less threads are being engaged by the lug-nuts. This means it may require extended studs (which also usually requires new wheel bearings).

Yes spacers and/or low-offsets are bad for the wheel bearing. Having said that, I've not heard of a bearing failure related to this, but most people don't keep their cars that long.
Hmmm. You've got me thinking now. Ive tried searching to find some TLs with the GPs on (especially AM) and havent had much luck. I guess mounting them with a 10mm or 15mm spacer would work to make them a little more flush.

The other question would be will they work with the brakes.