Road noise after tire rotation. Can stiff RSB cause uneven wear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Road noise after tire rotation. Can stiff RSB cause uneven wear?

I've had a progress RSB on my car now for about 4 years. I installed it on the stiffer setting. I am on my second set of tires with the RSB. With the first set, I noticed significant road noise after rotating tires. I thought then that the tires may have cupped because I had them over-inflated and went on a cross-country trip (NJ to FL).

Recently, I bought a set of Firestone Firehawk wide ovals. The tires were balanced and the suspension was aligned when the tires were installed. 7500 miles later, I rotated the tires, and the road noise is back. I don't think the tires could have cupped in 7500 miles, when I was careful about monitoring tire pressure. I have spirited drives every once in a while, but I am overall not an agressive driver and I don't take the car to a track. Can a stiff RSB cause uneven tire wear? My cursory look at the tire doesn't show any unusual wear patterns.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:11 AM
06 ThugLuv

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Man idk i hate nosies i cant figure out. I learnded a stiff sway bar can hinder performance..but I can't realy imagine how it would mess with tire wear..

What size is your RSB?
What do you have done to your car suspension wise? springs? coils?
Do you feel any vibration or shake while driving?
Old 03-29-2011, 02:18 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
no a stiff rsb will not cause uneven tire wear. check your alignment, having an misaligned toe setting can kill tires faster than having negative camber
Old 03-30-2011, 04:51 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliWowie
Man idk i hate nosies i cant figure out. I learnded a stiff sway bar can hinder performance..but I can't realy imagine how it would mess with tire wear..

What size is your RSB?
What do you have done to your car suspension wise? springs? coils?
Do you feel any vibration or shake while driving?
The RSB is 24mm. No other mods to the suspension.
There is a very slight shudder in the steering wheel around 70mph, which I was unable to get resolved with multiple alignments and balancing with the previous tires. The shudder is still present with current tires.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:57 AM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
+1 on alignment
Old 03-30-2011, 01:49 PM
06 ThugLuv

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
yeah man just one of those things that u need to perform alot of trouble shooting on like you have beenin doing...wich sucks cuz all them balance and alignment stuff adds up fast..it's either money there or money spent on parts that might not even be the issue. I would go ahead and rule out the rsb.

so im in ur shoes as far a tyring to narrow down my options for a shudder. i understand balance and allignment adds up pretty fast. so im thinkin about money here...try rotatin your tires back the were they were for a week...if no shudder or noise then i would think its gotta be tire wear so allignment issue if there is still noise guess what i would think, allignment issue...but i would start to think bent suspesion if that were to happen.

also if you end up balancing your tires again, ask to watch the process...just because the wheel is balance doesn't meen theres no dent in the rim..they could just add weights to counter balance the dent...but a dent rim could make a tire sit funny on your rim..and could be a more noticable shake at higher speeds.

If car vibrations had a face, I would punch it in the face.

Good luck man.