RIMS: New or Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012 | 10:23 AM
Intermediate

RIMS: New or Fix?

Hey Acurazine!

I've had my '07 KBP Type-S for about 3 years now, but I'm completely new to this forum. Decided that it was time to finally join.

The prior owner had some massive damage on the Type-S Rims and I wasn't sure if the smart choice was to find a place to get them fixed or to just sell them and get new ones.

They aren't cracked, but there is MAJOR curb rash throughout all four tires and there are large areas with chipped paint.

*If I were to fix these, could I do them myself? Any DIY threads? Couldn't find (probably cause I don't know what I'm doing yet with this forum).

PICS SOON.
Old 08-10-2012 | 05:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nchein
Hey Acurazine!

I've had my '07 KBP Type-S for about 3 years now, but I'm completely new to this forum. Decided that it was time to finally join.

The prior owner had some massive damage on the Type-S Rims and I wasn't sure if the smart choice was to find a place to get them fixed or to just sell them and get new ones.

They aren't cracked, but there is MAJOR curb rash throughout all four tires and there are large areas with chipped paint.

*If I were to fix these, could I do them myself? Any DIY threads? Couldn't find (probably cause I don't know what I'm doing yet with this forum).

PICS SOON.
Try fixing them with permatex liquid metal (not as hard as metal but more like kiln dried but unglazed clay). file the rough areas level, sand, wash, clean, dry, heavily fill with permatex, sand down to fill just the gouges, repeat three times to ensure all small gouges are filled then primer, sand down & repeat three times again to fill the even smaller gouges then finally paint without primer because the paint will look like a scab otherwise. You can then wet sand & clear coat as desired.

If youre going to repaint the whole wheel then you can use primer. I recommend you repaint the whole wheel. I just did this recently with a small section on the wheel & I'm pretty happy with the results. You will be amazed especially if you repaint the whole wheel.
The following users liked this post:
lastig21 (08-11-2012)
Old 08-11-2012 | 01:38 AM
5th Gear

You should go for new 100% gives your ride a new look, try going on the web to get a tire and rim package....
Old 08-11-2012 | 02:22 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

No to new. Yes to re-doing it yourself or paying someone to do them. Cost $300 to get them re-powdercoated and you want to spend $700+?
Old 08-11-2012 | 03:09 AM
Intermediate

I like the idea of doing it myself, but I'm not confident enough to pull it off and I can't find a DIY thread either...

Getting them fixed feels definitely like the better option; however, I'm a broke college student with no $$$. Guess I'll save up...

AND HERE ARE SOME PICS!

Old 08-11-2012 | 04:14 AM
08 Type-S KBP

Another option is to go through the dealership. I picked up some a couple new type-s wheels for cheap since they had been mounted on the car already and removed because the customer opted for the 18" wheels. It was around 100 a pop if I remember correctly it was back when the type's was still on the lots though so no garuntee on them being available. It is just a few phone calls to some dealerships.
Old 08-11-2012 | 09:07 AM
Drifting

New...
Old 08-11-2012 | 11:45 AM
Intermediate

Do you like the look of the Type S wheels or not? I'm not a huge fan of them, and would not buy another set (new or used). If you like them, I would have them repaired. If buying new, there are several aftermarket sets that you could buy for not much more than a used set of Type S wheels.
Old 08-12-2012 | 06:21 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lastig21
Do you like the look of the Type S wheels or not? I'm not a huge fan of them, and would not buy another set (new or used). If you like them, I would have them repaired. If buying new, there are several aftermarket sets that you could buy for not much more than a used set of Type S wheels.
I like the rims but am worried the repair would cost a lot more than a set of newer and cheaper ones. Anyone know what an estimate should be about for a repair of four rims with damage shown in the pic?
Old 08-12-2012 | 10:53 AM
08 Type-S KBP

I like the rims but am worried the repair would cost a lot more than a set of newer and cheaper ones. Anyone know what an estimate should be about for a repair of four rims with damage shown in the pic?

I could not see the pics before. Where was that guy driving? Those things are trashed. I plan on getting mine fixed up and painted a new color to use as winter wheels. If I get this done before you I will let you know how much it ran me. However I am currently in Afghanistan so it will not be until around December until I get this done.
Old 08-12-2012 | 06:56 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by helmsrj
I could not see the pics before. Where was that guy driving? Those things are trashed. I plan on getting mine fixed up and painted a new color to use as winter wheels. If I get this done before you I will let you know how much it ran me. However I am currently in Afghanistan so it will not be until around December until I get this done.
Yeah, I have no clue at all how he got it THAT bad... It's disheartening, but I definitely got a good price never-the-less. Thanks for the help and hope to hear from you eventually about how much everything will cost you!
Old 08-12-2012 | 07:47 PM
Team Owner

Wow Chein-sorry to see that. I had my wheels re-done at the dealership.
Old 08-20-2012 | 01:12 PM
2nd Gear

Andy's auto sports sells OE style Rims for the TL for a good price (last I looked they were $129 each).

The ones you have are probably warped slightly given their beating, will likely be uncomfortable at highway speeds.
Old 11-20-2012 | 07:31 AM
Intermediate

I know this is an old thread, but just got an idea.

What do you think would happen if I decide to plastidip over the chipped powdercoating? would it still look uneven?
Old 11-20-2012 | 10:55 PM
6th Gear

What do you think would happen if I decide to plastidip over the chipped powdercoating? would it still look uneven?
I just joined this forum and actually was looking for some threads on alloy rim repair. I just picked up a TL and the rims were also trashed (not nearly as bad as yours though). I too am thinking of throwing some plasti dip on them, but you will DEFINITELY have to sand them down and fill the deep gauges with filler. Hard part is finding the best filler for the job.
Old 11-21-2012 | 09:43 AM
Drifting

Holy rashed wheels batman! Apparently the previous owner leased the car or didn't have a clue how to park.

Plastidip has a way of hiding a lot of imperfections. I'd try it on the worst one just to see what it looks like. I'd bet it would hide the rashing 90% or better. Plastidip already has a texture to it that would likely blend in well with any rashing. Plus, it would be the cheapest alternative to getting them fixed or replacing them.

But as was said before, you might have some warping due to how hard the previous owner was on the wheels. Try cruising at different highway speeds from 55-85 mph and see if you experience any vibrations. If so, they might be warped or bent a bit. Or take them into a tire shop and have them check them out. They can tell when balancing if the wheels are goofed (the problem there is that they sell wheels, so if they're dishonest they'll tell you they're warped even if they aren't). If it's significant, wheel damage can cause goofy tire wear. I experienced abnormal wear on a tire that was on one of my wheels which I later found out was badly warped. So it might be a good investment to just bite the bullet and get new ones (if they're indeed bent or warped).
Old 11-21-2012 | 03:08 PM
Intermediate

By vibrations, what am I specifically looking for? I've been driving anywhere from 65-80 mph on an average day and I don't really understand how the car would "vibrate". My tires do die quick though. I had FK452's that lasted me only a year...
Old 07-04-2013 | 12:00 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by VanGuy
Try fixing them with permatex liquid metal (not as hard as metal but more like kiln dried but unglazed clay). file the rough areas level, sand, wash, clean, dry, heavily fill with permatex, sand down to fill just the gouges, repeat three times to ensure all small gouges are filled then primer, sand down & repeat three times again to fill the even smaller gouges then finally paint without primer because the paint will look like a scab otherwise. You can then wet sand & clear coat as desired.

If youre going to repaint the whole wheel then you can use primer. I recommend you repaint the whole wheel. I just did this recently with a small section on the wheel & I'm pretty happy with the results. You will be amazed especially if you repaint the whole wheel.
Well, I no longer recommend DIY repainting the wheels. Apparently, the powder coat paint will react with the standard duplicolor spray can paint. The paint job will bubble & peel. I had the wheel entirely repainted by an auto body shop. It looked great but after a stone hit the wheel the paint began to flake or was already slightly bubbled at that spot. I suspect the powder coated paint to have poor adhesive or reactive properties.

Spot repairing is DEFINITELY a disaster due to the issues noted above. That's why I later resorted to a paint shop. The best alternative is to fill in the road rash yourself then have it re-powder coated or completely repair it with a specialty wheel repair shop.
Old 07-05-2013 | 05:18 PM
Racer

Im going to fix my xxrs next week. Ill let you know how it goes. I think its a nice skill to learn. Never have to worry about curb rash again!
Wash the rims alot, sand it down nicely, use spot putty and then try to match the paint. For the type s I would go with Anthracite metal. All the parts should cost around 30 bucks and itll be good for many fixes

Last edited by TL Seth; 07-05-2013 at 05:25 PM.