Rim size

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001 | 01:38 PM
9th Gear

Rim size

I drive a black 2002 tl and wanted to buy some AME Modelart 18", but wasnt sure about the width size and offset. I can either go with 8" or 8.5"(8.5 preferrable due to bigger lip) but havent seen any members' specs on rims larger than width 7.5". I plan on lowering the car a bit on some comptechs and rubbing is a huge concern. None of the rimshops i have contacted will guarantee no rub, but does anyone know the low down on size and fit? (btw the offsets come in 22,23,30,35,36,43+; wasn't sure which one would be good). Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

-T
Old 07-23-2001 | 04:22 PM
Racer

Wheels...

Don't buy the 8.5 rim IMO. It's just too wide.

Don't know the width of the 2002 tl but my 2002 tl-s has a stock 6.5 width with a +55 offset.

If you go with the 8 inch rim go with the highest offset you can. In this case its looks like that will be +43.

People have talked about not having any problem with rubbing with a low offset of +40....but that was with a rim width of 7 inches. IMHO an 8 inch rim with a +43 offset could rub.

I would at least recommend a +47 offset or greater with a 8 inch rim, especially if you plan to lower your car!

Recap: 18x7 at least +40
18x7.5 at least +43/45
18x8 at least +47 or greater
18x8.5 do not recommend
Old 07-23-2001 | 05:13 PM
9th Gear

Question Rim size offset

Bluefrank your help is much appreciated and your advice to be heeded. (BTW what does IMO stand for?) Your recap was very helpful. Ive read the faq section in the front regarding offset. im not sure that i grasped the concept completely but would it be correct to assume that the bigger the + offset gets the less the rims will stick out? (if you were viewing the car from the front or rear)
In your note you mentioned that i will rub even with the smaller 8"& available offset of +43. Do i need to worry about any rubbing of the inner wall of the tires or would the rubbing be most likely by the outside fender? would rolling the fenders help out? i like the rims alot and havent been able to find ones comparable; but then again im not going to jack up my ride just for the rims. any thing you could add would be great.
Old 07-25-2001 | 06:13 PM
Racer

Thumbs up Wheels

To answer your question....IMO stands for in my opinion and IMHO stands for in my humble opinion.

Yes you go it...The greater the offset the less the rim will stick out. Most people like to have their wheels tuck inside the wheel well, so they go with the higher offset.

Yes, you are takening a chance with a wide rim with a low offset +43 millimeters just sounds too low. You would probably rub on the outside fender...

I would recommend 18X7.5 with a +45/47 at least. Since you would like to drop your ride....those recommendations are cutting it close..Rolling the fender would help if it rubbed after you dropped it(Just Be Very Careful). The tab on the inside fender lip seems to be a problem with most tl's...Once that is cut NO Rubbing!!!
Old 07-26-2001 | 12:33 AM
Drifting

i'm gonna work from my accord knowledge...a car that is much like the tl.

offset is dependent on rim width. a 45 offset on a 7.5" wide rim will mount differently (to a car) then say a 45 offset on a 8" wide rim. with that said, you will need a 45ish offset on a 7.5" wide rim, a 50ish offset on a 8" wide rim, and about a 55ish offset on a 8.5" wide rim to minimize rubbing (if any). these offsets are not at the beginning of the range, but something located in the middle that will not cause you to rub on either side of the tire. the only problem with 8.5s, especially if you are slammed, is the potential to rub suspension parts. plus having a narrower rim can sometimes offer you rub-free driving since it allows you to play with offset values (er, you can get les than ideal and still not rub). a wider rim will require a perfect offset, which might not be available!

so if 43 is the highest offset for either a 8" or 8.5" wide rim, then youa re gonna run into problems. this will not rub at the back of the wheel well...only the front fender lip.

someone on a honda site (i participate on) has 18x8.5s on a 2001 accord coupe and he said he doesn't rub. knowing that his wheels are racing hart 3-pc m6 wheels means it's probably true since these wheels can be had in many different offsets. there are others as well running 18x8.5s.
Old 07-26-2001 | 01:36 PM
9th Gear

rim offset

Thanks for all the help guys. From the information that i have gathered here and other forums, it seems like even the 7.5" on a 45+ offset might cause some problems with rubbing. (Modification a must). While i have no qualms with cutting the tabs and rolling the fenders, I was looking to lower the vehicle on some eibachs (2.1 f 1.75 r) which brings the car a bit lower than most people who are on comptechs. Since every rim is a bit different i just want to play it safe. I found out that those rims i'm in love with actually come in 7" with 45+ offset. I'm guessing that i should have no rubbing problems with this setting? While i would be sacrificing 6mm of decrease in lip size, i figure it would be better to play it safe. can i get your opinions on the matter?

Best regard,

Taro
Old 07-27-2001 | 12:38 AM
Drifting

18x7 with 45 offset sounds good. i think nsx4dr has 19x7 enkei aegis wheels with a 48 offset...not too different.