Rear Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007 | 11:46 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Rear Tire Wear

Today, I discovered for the 2nd time in the 3¼ years I have this car, the left rear tire is almost bald. Now I know Falken Ziex 512's are typically good for around 25-30,000 miles anyway, but why would ONLY the left rear keep balding out? The wear is even across the tire, not on any particular side or pattern. Meanwhile, none of the other 3 tires show any unusual wear.
Old 08-31-2007 | 06:56 AM
Instructor

i had the same problem when the dealers tried to fix my camber. I installed a rear comptech camber kit on my car to try and fix that problem. The problem started right after i dropped it with comptech springs. I called comptech here in cali, and they told me to go to the shop they always brought their cars to do alignments, which was big-o. Did a 4 wheel alignment, and the problem seemed to go away.
Old 08-31-2007 | 10:32 AM
Suzuka Master

It's got to be an alignment problem with that wheel. There is a toe adjustment built into the suspension. Quick and dirty, take a long straight edge and lay across the center of the tire horizontal to the ground. Check in the rear, the distance the edge is from the mud guard, or body, then try the other side. It's impossible to actually measure the toe difference as the suspension and underbody is in the way.
Best to have an alignment done.
Old 08-31-2007 | 11:57 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by Turbonut
It's got to be an alignment problem with that wheel. There is a toe adjustment built into the suspension. Quick and dirty, take a long straight edge and lay across the center of the tire horizontal to the ground. Check in the rear, the distance the edge is from the mud guard, or body, then try the other side. It's impossible to actually measure the toe difference as the suspension and underbody is in the way.
Best to have an alignment done.
Agreed. As soon as I find a wheel to replace one on the front that I know is slightly bent. The last time I had to replace 2 tyiz on the back 6 months ago, I bought 2 new ones and put the ones that were onto the front on the back. They had trouble balancing one of the front wheels and then noticed the slight wobble as it spun on the balancing machine ..... F*CKIN NYC ROADS!

My tya place in the Bronx, Gannin Tire is no longer there, so I've been calling around to see who has what. So far, it seems Mavis Discount Tire www.mavistire.com has the best prices around. And instead of Falkens, I think I'll go with the new Goodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons (yes, the tip-top rated ultra high performance tire is now available in an all seasons version, http://www.goodyeartires.com/eagle/eagleF1AS_innov.html) $139 or Conti Extreme Contacts $119 http://www.conti-online.com/generato...master_en.html this time. Those prices include mounting and balancing. A road hazard warranty is only $12 more per tya. Mavis can also do a 4-wheel aglinment for $59.95.

And before anyone here sez to go check out Tirerack.com, I'm one who believes certain things like tyiz and clearbra stuff should be purchased from whomever does the installation. That way, you'll have only have to deal with 1 entity if there's ever a problem.