Rear brake replacement options

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 03:51 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear brake replacement options

Hi Guys, I have an 05 TL with 80K miles. Few weeks ago my right rear brake started to squeal, at that time my pads had plenty of meat left. Now there is no brake pad material left & from what I can hear its complete metal to metal.

I need new rear rotors anyway so I asked around for a few prices. Hamilton Honda has a brake special for $98 but for replacing the rear rotors its an additional $370 (approx.), that will be a total of $480+taxes. Of course if the caliper is damaged, more $$$.

I called Midas & they have a special for rear brake pads & rotors for $256 installed. They said the same thing that there will be additional cost if the caliper is damaged as well. They provide a life time pad replacement, meaning I just pay for labor the next time I need pads

My fronts look pretty good, they were new when I bought the car last year with 50K miles. I am not a slow driver but I am quite smooth with my inputs & as much as I find the suspension lacking, the brakes seemed to be quite ok. I believe the fronts were worked on by Midas as per the Carfax report.

What would you guys recommend? I don't want to go the DIY route as I don't have a garage & secondly we have only 1 car so if I screw this up we are left with no vehicle. My other vehicle has 2 wheels & I doubt that would be very helpful in day to day life
The following users liked this post:
meh (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/brakemotive-drilled-slotted-brake-kits-lowest-prices-ever-809114/

Old 06-28-2012, 04:36 PM
meh
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by arshishb
Hi Guys, I have an 05 TL with 80K miles. Few weeks ago my right rear brake started to squeal, at that time my pads had plenty of meat left. Now there is no brake pad material left & from what I can hear its complete metal to metal.

I need new rear rotors anyway so I asked around for a few prices. Hamilton Honda has a brake special for $98 but for replacing the rear rotors its an additional $370 (approx.), that will be a total of $480+taxes. Of course if the caliper is damaged, more $$$.

I called Midas & they have a special for rear brake pads & rotors for $256 installed. They said the same thing that there will be additional cost if the caliper is damaged as well. They provide a life time pad replacement, meaning I just pay for labor the next time I need pads

My fronts look pretty good, they were new when I bought the car last year with 50K miles. I am not a slow driver but I am quite smooth with my inputs & as much as I find the suspension lacking, the brakes seemed to be quite ok. I believe the fronts were worked on by Midas as per the Carfax report.

What would you guys recommend? I don't want to go the DIY route as I don't have a garage & secondly we have only 1 car so if I screw this up we are left with no vehicle. My other vehicle has 2 wheels & I doubt that would be very helpful in day to day life
I'd suggest some black zinc coated rotors from brakeperformance.com. Same thing as factory, but they don't start rusting like the stocks do.