quality issues with Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S are REAL!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:21 PM
MY KBP IS BTR THN URS...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok It Must Have Been Reflashed Or Changed Before I Bought, I Dunno My Bad...
Old 01-14-2008, 01:42 PM
King of NYC

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally Posted by Boever
Why do I need a tire rated 149+ mph?? My car is never going to see those speeds, H speed rating is more that adequate. I'd be more concerned with the load rating.
Actually it's the other way around.....Most tires on the market made for the same category of cars (performance passenger car) will have adequate load ratings. (Unless you plan to tow a boat or load your car with bricks. I'm sure your TL is not a Silverado)

Speed rating IS important. Don't think that the speed rating is all about speed. Nobody is going those speeds for sure. Those speed rating numbers are distracting. If that's all that mattered an S-rated tire would be adequate for 99% of us.

It has to do with the softness of the rubber compound and construction of the tire. H is NOT adequate. The tires from the factory are W rated. The engineers chose W tires as what suits the handling of the car. Tires are well thought out items when engineers design a new car. When they do real-world testing they can change tire options many times. Tires are more important than most people think. The wrong choice can make a night and day difference between the handling characteristics of your TL. They are high performance tires but they are meant to be. Your suspension and steering systems were all engineered with this in mind.

If you slap H rated tires on your car your TL will NOT handle anything like a TL should. Stick with W, Y or Z rated tires for your TL. If you HAD to downgrade your speed rating for the sake of price, you COULD go with a V-rated tire. (That's what Accords require) Please don't go with a H-rated tire. Your TL is not a Taurus.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.goodyeartires.com/kyt/rea...peedIndex.html

notice is says "recommended" not "required" and "Speed ratings do not indicate how well a tire handles or corners. They certify the tire’s ability to withstand high speed."

My car handles just fine......
Old 01-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
[url]"Speed ratings do not indicate how well a tire handles or corners. They certify the tire’s ability to withstand high speed."

They indirectly affect handling, but by no means do they indicate how well it would handle. That being said, a W rated tire will have stiffer sidewalls than an equivalent H-Rated tire, because in order to be able to handle highspeed, it needs to be able to deal with the heat generation. Softer sidewalls = greater heat production.... Stiffer sidewalls = less heat production.

As a side result, softer/stiffer sidewalls affects the tire's cornering stability, but of course it isn't the only thing affecting cornering stability.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Intermediate

Not arguing any of those facts, only that they are more than suitable for the normal everyday driving I do.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Not arguing any of those facts, only that they are more than suitable for the normal everyday driving I do.
Personally, I always recommend my friends to get high performance tires, for the braking performance.... Whatever traction that aids in acceleration and handling, will also aid in panic situations

What tires did you get anyways? Tripletreds? I heard good things about those. That's probably the only H-rated tire I would consider...
Old 01-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Intermediate

Pilot Exalto A/S as mentioned earlier. Just my personal opinion, but you couldn't pay me to put Goodyears on my car.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same old argument. The same guy that puts "H" rated tires on his TL, is going to run regular gas too. If he isn't willing to put the time and effort into why those items are specified on the Acura he bought, why waste the ink?
Old 01-15-2008, 06:39 AM
Intermediate

I'm sorry, did someone ask Cliff Claven to throw his worthless two cents into this. If you think I put H rated tires on my car because of price your mistaken. By the way fuckstick, I put premium in my car.....
Old 01-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
http://www.goodyeartires.com/kyt/rea...peedIndex.html

notice is says "recommended" not "required" and "Speed ratings do not indicate how well a tire handles or corners. They certify the tire’s ability to withstand high speed."

This is true. Speed rating only indicates that maximum sustained speed the tire is built to handle. So why get a speed rating higher than you "need"? Typically these tires also offer better traction and improved response compared to low rated tires. Someone could in theory make a Z rated tire that sucked otherwise, or a H rated tire that had the traction of an R compound tire. However there isnt really a market for tires like that. So speed rating is also a vague indicator of the overall performance of a tire as well. I really dont enjoy the mushy feeling and lack of feedback you get from lower rated tires.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:44 PM
GO BLUE!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For what its worth, I have the F1 All Season tires. I bought them back in July when they first came out. I actually had more problems with the tire shop where I bought them than I have had with the actual tires.

I originally had the Yokahoma's when I bought the car, swithched to the Michelin Pilot Sports after problems with the Yokos, and then finally put the F1 All Seasons on the car.

In my opinion, and to my surprise, these are the best tires I have had on my car since i have owned it. The ride is a lot better, there is a lot less road noise, and the perfromance of the tire overall seems better than the others.

Less road noise and more overall satisfaction. I don't know if having the 18 tires makes any difference ver the 17's, but I am a satisfied customer. I have always been a big Michelin fan in the past, but not after my experience with the Pilots. But than again, I only have six months of road time to base things on. I guess we'll see......
Old 02-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Instructor

I too have to give a thumbs up to the F1 All Seasons .
I got them on 3 weeks ago and they have been great so far. I have driven in snow, ice, slush and highway conditions with them so far and they have been a gem. 1000% times better then the stock Turanzas.

They were $845 mounted, balanced and aligned at Mavis Discount Tire.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Just following up on my experience with the Goodyear F1 A/S's. These tires are simply amazing on wet road conditions. Like others have stated, it almost feels like I'm driving on dry pavement on wet roads. I can enter curves at very high speeds in wet weather without slipping or losing stability. Steering Response is not as good as dedicated Ultra High Performance Summer but pretty damn close to it. I've put 6-7k miles on them.

As far as quality goes, the carbon fiber/stiff sidewall definitely causes roadforce imbalances. Long story short, 1 of 4 my tires was found to be defective after roadforce balancing after arrival from from tirerack where they were supposed to be already roadforce balanced on my new wheels. Tirerack sent a replacement tire and the replacement tire had a roadforce of 26lbs which is high. So in the grand scheme of things, 2/6 tires were defective if they were meet the <15lbs of roadforce criteria. I did not seek another replacement tire but overall, I'm still quite satisfied with the Eagle F1 A/S's as they're one of the safest tires I've ever driven on in wet weather(not snow). The have a slight vibration on certain stretches of new highway but it may just be the road as my snow tires had the same vibration. BTW, tirerack has awesome customer service. You won't be disappointed with their service, but if you're going to buy these very tires, get them at your local tire dealer with a roadforce balance because you may have issues. Most goodyear service centers don't even have roadforce so that's kind of lame.

My next set of tires will be BS 960's or a derivative of that.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@binhsterhinh - glad to hear only 1 out of 4 of your tires were bad.... as you read, I had a shittier experience (4 out of 6 were bad).
Old 02-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I changed my mind... really even 1 out of 4 is too many. GY needs to get their shit together. I still contend that if other people with these tires paid the extra few bucks to get them road force balanced that they too would discover a "bad" tire or two in their set. After paying that much per tire, that is just unacceptable.