PLEASE HELP! I need HELP solving suspension noise after Eibach and Tokico Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 06:56 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
PLEASE HELP! I need HELP solving suspension noise after Eibach and Tokico Install

So I am fairly new to the world of modding cars. But I got a great deal on an Eibach Pro-Kit, so I jumped on it.

First, I just had the Springs installed on the stock struts/shocks. The look was great and just what I was after. But after driving for a bit (I live in the city), I was hearing a horrible noise from the rear. Every time I hit a bump, or pothole, it sounded like something was "clapping" together back there. Like two peaces of metal were coming apart and then smacking back together. We took the back seat out and tightened every nut as tight as we could get it. We tightened the top nut on the shock itself as tight as possible and the two nuts for the top hat. The noise lessened initially, but then got worse and went back to normal.

I was told that my problem was the stock struts/shocks, as they are too "long" for the new springs. So I thought, makes sense. Just by looking at the new springs, there were much shorter than the stock, ESPECIALLY for the rear springs. I was told, the only way to solve the problem is to get new struts/shocks. Being on a budget, I got Tokico Blues.

We put the blues in and tightened it all down as tight as we could. Now, don't get me wrong. The ride is SOOOOOOO much better, as I did have 67k miles on the stock struts/shocks. At first, the noise was also gone. It was only there on very hard bumps. Now after riding on it for about 3 weeks, the noise has gotten worse and louder. That "clapping" sound makes me think that something is not tight in the rear, at the top. But we have tightened everything down as tight as we humanly can. And we are not that weak in my opinion. We even put two washers at the top of the shock nut, thinking maybe it will make things tighter, but the noise is getting worse over time.

I feel like when I hit a bump, the top hat is pulling away when on the extension of the shock and then smacking into the body.

Anyways, I am clueless... My enjoyment of my new set-up is fading because of the noise.

Any help please?!
Old 04-08-2009, 07:11 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
when u tighten the nuts and bolts on the top hats that are connected to the car in the rear deck area, do you jack the car up from beneath so that the weight of the car is on the suspension? so that the bolts are actually getting torqued down onto the car frame?

or are you tightening the bolts while the car just sits on the ground?
Old 04-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by wasupdog
when u tighten the nuts and bolts on the top hats that are connected to the car in the rear deck area, do you jack the car up from beneath so that the weight of the car is on the suspension? so that the bolts are actually getting torqued down onto the car frame?

or are you tightening the bolts while the car just sits on the ground?

I believe we did both. Tightened it while it was up in the air, and then let the car down and then really tightened it up. Wouldn't it make more sense to tighten it as tight as possible when the car is on the ground? That way the wieght of the body of the car is pushing down on the top hats.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:08 AM
My Garage not

it should be fine if it was just tightened down to the acura stock suspension torque specs. it probably doesn't make it any better or worse to be tighter.

sorry if my explanation wasn't that good in my above post. when the car was up in the air and u tightened the bolts, did u compress the suspension (put a jack underneath one of the ends of the arms) and then tighten the bolts? this would put the weight of the car onto the suspension so that it can be properly tightened.

if the car is on the ground and u tighten the bolts the suspension unit could be incorrectly aligned with the rear deck frame, even if you tighten the bolts really hard. this would cause the suspension top hat to actually be loose against the rear deck frame, if the suspension unit was tightened while it sat at an angle, so when u hit a bump the top hat is bouncing up and down making a clunking noise.

1) if the suspension was correctly put together and 2) u tightened the bolts while the car was in the air and the suspension was compressed while the car was suspended, then the only thing i can think of is that there is something wrong with your rear deck frame assembly. if this was me and i verified that 1 and 2 were OK, i would put stock units in the back and see if the noise is still there.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:11 AM
My Garage not

this would be a lot of trouble and money, but if u bought 2 rear a-spec suspension units they come pre-assembled with tophats. drop those into the back and see if the noise is still there. if it is, take it to the dealer and tell them u have this noise with stock suspension components and have them check it under warranty.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
OP......i would double check the RSB endlinks and make sure they are tightened down all the way. i had a similar problem and oncei did that, i was golden! Also, u may want to add a washer btwn the RBS and nut to get a better fit and make it more secure, IF that is ur problem. g' luck
Old 04-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another suspect is the dead coils. The rear springs have dead coils, designed to collapse on each other when they support the weight of the car.

To check, put loads on the back seat (2 people will do ) and see if the noise is gone. If it is, then it's the dead coils.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Racer

I read your post to someone else's previous post, asking about the noise, but I don't suspect it's my sway bar. Could you describe under what conditions your sway bar mad a noise, and what it sounded like?

Also, sorry to ask a dumb question, but what does RBS stand for?

I was thinking that maybe I should add washers under the two nuts that secure the top hats to the body, what do you think?

Originally Posted by djbonsu
OP......i would double check the RSB endlinks and make sure they are tightened down all the way. i had a similar problem and oncei did that, i was golden! Also, u may want to add a washer btwn the RBS and nut to get a better fit and make it more secure, IF that is ur problem. g' luck
Old 04-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Racer

Yeah, I read about the dead coils too, and I don't think it's them because the Eibachs come from the factory with the heavy plastic piping around the dead coils already.

Originally Posted by 260 HP
Another suspect is the dead coils. The rear springs have dead coils, designed to collapse on each other when they support the weight of the car.

To check, put loads on the back seat (2 people will do ) and see if the noise is gone. If it is, then it's the dead coils.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
I am having some noise coming form my suspension, rear as well. But it sounds like the spring is too compressed so it's creaking sound (like an old rusty door hinge). Now that I read this post maybe it's the dead coil problem. How do I go about eliminating that noise
Old 04-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sac2006TL
Yeah, I read about the dead coils too, and I don't think it's them because the Eibachs come from the factory with the heavy plastic piping around the dead coils already.
I know what you're saying, but the plastic hose Eibach puts around the coils isn't long enough. I know because I had Eibach on my TL as well as my 7G Accord (which use the exact same rear springs BTW) plus some of my customers cars that made the noise. The noise is gone after adding more piping/hose.

This problem is not exclusively on Eibach; I've found them on H&R and Neuspeed and some others.

It could be it or not, but one way to determine it is by adding more loads to the rear suspension. If the noise persists, it's likely something else. If the noise goes away, then I'm pretty sure it's the dead coils.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:06 PM
My Garage not

Originally Posted by myron
I am having some noise coming form my suspension, rear as well. But it sounds like the spring is too compressed so it's creaking sound (like an old rusty door hinge). Now that I read this post maybe it's the dead coil problem. How do I go about eliminating that noise
this sounds like a squeaky rear strut bar. mine does the same thing and it's definitely not the rear suspension since i've changed it out twice and it always has the same noise.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:58 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give us a call at Eibach and we'll try and diagnose your problem over the phone. The number is 951.256.8300. Just ask for Tony or Phong.

-Tony
Old 04-09-2009, 12:24 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
To the OP..the RSB stands for rear sway bar and the noise i was describing is more so a "clunk" when traveling at low speeds over bumps or potholes. At highway speeds, you do not hear the noise. Hope that helps...
Old 04-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by djbonsu
To the OP..the RSB stands for rear sway bar and the noise i was describing is more so a "clunk" when traveling at low speeds over bumps or potholes. At highway speeds, you do not hear the noise. Hope that helps...

I used to hear the noise over small bumps and cracks in the road initially. But after replacing the shocks, I only tend to hear it on larger bumps and potholes now. Mine is regardless of speed (although if I had to pick, I would say it happens more at lower speeds), and more a function of the size of the bump or pothole.

Given this information and how the behavior changed after replacing the shocks, do you still think it might be the sway bar? I think this weekend, I might just take it off and drive around. If the noise is gone, then I guess you are right. But, I am trying to save myself some work, if any of these symptoms are making you lean away from the sway bar.