Pirelli P6 Four Seasons

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 07:48 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pirelli P6 Four Seasons

Before everyone stones me to death....hear me out please

Our TL is primarily my wife's...she drives it 98% of the time. She absolutely loves the car, however, the "high performance" aspect of the TL is not her priority. With that being said....her EL 42s (which got 32k+ on them!) need replacing and I don't want to necessarily go "ultra high performance".

I had a suggestion of the Pirelli P6 Four Seasons ....yes it's only an H rated tire, but is that really such a huge deal?

I'd like to get new tires on her TL soon but want to give her a good tire at the best price possible w/out necessarily going "ultra high performance".

I have searched and can't come up w/ info on this tire.

Suggestions ? Or should I just go w/ the P Zeros and spend the extra $25 or so each?

Be honest,...be fair,...but be nice!

Thanks all!
Old 12-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Go with the p-zero's and get the proper speed rating for the car
Old 12-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by pohljm
Go with the p-zero's and get the proper speed rating for the car
Thanks Jim...but...what is that "speed rating" really going to give me? I'm sorry for sounding dumb about this, but.....

Thanks....
Old 12-14-2006, 12:35 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
I've got the p-zero's on my Aspec Rims. Don't worry about the speed rating, it's just a better tire than P6 and will give a better all around ride.

Before you buy them check with tirerack.com they had the p zeros I wanted for $80 cheaper per tire than the local guy. Then I took them to the dealer had them installed for $98.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I've got the p-zero's on my Aspec Rims. Don't worry about the speed rating, it's just a better tire than P6 and will give a better all around ride.

Before you buy them check with tirerack.com they had the p zeros I wanted for $80 cheaper per tire than the local guy. Then I took them to the dealer had them installed for $98.
Thanks, I've been looking there and you're right.

Of course, I'm talking about the p zero nero m s tires...all season
Old 12-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Cruisin'

by the way.....these are others I was looking at as well...in the H,V and W ratings.....

Is the price difference the speed rating?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...=0&sortValue=0
Old 12-14-2006, 05:37 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Yeah you don't need the V rating. You know what after reading the reviews, I'd go with the P6 HR's, the pzero's might be just a little more than you actually need.

I think I confused myself with a different tire from my first post. I look at so many tires before I got my p zero's. Now that I have them all that information left my head.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Originally Posted by BeenersTL
Thanks Jim...but...what is that "speed rating" really going to give me? I'm sorry for sounding dumb about this, but.....

Thanks....
other than the speed rating itself...........up to 168 mph it will provide a stiffer sidewall and better handling
Old 12-15-2006, 09:16 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I went from the Pzeros to Yokohama AVIDs H4S because they have a better ride, are just as quiet, handle very well - you don't need z-rated tires-, are cheaper and have a wear rating of 500 as compared to the Pzero 400.

I am very pleased with these tires. The only negative might be snow handling as I have never used these tires in the snow because it does not snow where I live (SF Bay area).
Old 12-15-2006, 09:14 PM
7th Gear

[QUOTE=jime]I went from the Pzeros to Yokohama AVIDs H4S because they have a better ride, are just as quiet, handle very well - you don't need z-rated tires-, are cheaper and have a wear rating of 500 as compared to the Pzero 400.

This is the exact tire/logic that I'm going with to replace the El42's. I like the driving experience of the TL but to be honest it rides like a sled over semi rough pavement. I really question the hype or benefit of an Ultra High Performance tire for the type of driving that I'm able (allowed) to do. The difference between taking a 35mph mountain curve at 60 (UHP tire) and probably 50 (H tire) is not worth the extra cost, harsh ride, and lousy tread life - at least for me.
I also think "handling" is a very subjective term. A person out on a track is going to have a different perspective than most average street/highway (legal) drivers.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks all...

I'm debating now between the Yokos and Pirellis ........Hmmmmm
Old 12-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BeenersTL
Thanks all...

I'm debating now between the Yokos and Pirellis ........Hmmmmm
I just thought I'd throw my opinion in here. I bought my TL about a month ago. I then read horror stories about the EL42s in the rain (as well as how other people thought the TL improved with better tires). Because of this, I decided to go ahead and trade them in for something different and get more credit while they were still new.

I first went with the Yokohama YK520 (only sold at Discount Tire/America's Tire). This completely changed the driving dynamics of the TL. It provided a much more supple and quiet ride, but with a tradeoff in handling (compared to the stock tires). I noticed immediately that the steering felt sloppy and that it tended to wander more to the right. One of the things I loved about the TL was the direct, tight steering. They tried replacing one of the tires (thinking it was bad). While this diminished the pulling effect, the wandering and sloppiness of the steering didn't improve. Because of this, I took the tires back and went for the Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S.

The Pirellis have been the winner (for me). While they are not quite as quiet and don't smooth out the bumps like the Yokos do, I'm getting much more direct and sharper steering/handling than either of the previous tires. I believe the Pirellis also offer a smoother/quieter ride than the original EL42s. They seem to be the best overall compromise for me. Oh....and from reading other reviews I'm assured the Pirellis will do fine in the rain.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:38 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I chose continental extreme contacts as an allseason tire with good snow performance. So far, I've been very pleased with the ride quality, noise, and performance.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:26 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Surprisingly, the highest survey rated ultra high performance all season tire in our size group on http://www.tirerack.com are now the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS's.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ireSearch=true