AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Tires, Wheels & Suspension (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/)
-   -   Own Shocks or aftermarket options (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/own-shocks-aftermarket-options-961505/)

Glorygang600 08-15-2017 07:20 AM

Own Shocks or aftermarket options

my tires are getting chipping wear and I finally came to the conclusion it's my shocks was wondering how good are the oem ones and what's the difference in ride and steering. Also what is the difference between these stock shocks and moog branded ones and orthe camberkits that our cars are custom too

thoiboi 08-15-2017 08:14 AM

Such an open ended question. Any goals in mind? Difference in ride compared to what?

Just stick with stock.

horseshoez 08-15-2017 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Glorygang600 (Post 16077053)
my tires are getting chipping wear and I finally came to the conclusion it's my shocks was wondering how good are the oem ones and what's the difference in ride and steering. Also what is the difference between these stock shocks and moog branded ones and orthe camberkits that our cars are custom too

Can't say I've ever seen a verified correlation between cupped/feathered tires and shocks; what led you to the conclusion your shocks need to be changed?

BROlando 08-15-2017 12:25 PM

Blown/worn shocks certainly have a correlation to cupped tyres. Cars that go down the road with blown dampers have their tyres bounce/tap up and down on the road surface over each bump. The dynamic alignment changes coupled with excessive movement and intermittent contact with the road makes for cupping.

It can also be caused by alignment issues.

OP...if you want stock replacement shocks your best two options may be:
-Buy OEM Acura assemblies. They're easier to install and are of higher quality than "OE replacements", in most cases.

-Or buy KYB quick strut assemblies. They're inexpensive, fully assembled, and the shock quality is decent.

Scottwax 08-16-2017 01:16 AM

If you want an upgrade, Koni Yellows are terrific. Ride was actually an improvement over the 4 dead OEM struts I had.

horseshoez 08-16-2017 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by BROlando (Post 16077280)
Blown/worn shocks certainly have a correlation to cupped tyres. Cars that go down the road with blown dampers have their tyres bounce/tap up and down on the road surface over each bump. The dynamic alignment changes coupled with excessive movement and intermittent contact with the road makes for cupping.

Completely different issue; blown shocks, or said another way, shocks which have leaked their oil out, can certainly cause tire issues, but that is pretty obvious when you get the car up on the rack (or just look through the wheel well). I'm talking about operational non-leaking shocks; never seen any correlation to them and tire wear.

guitarplayer16 08-16-2017 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16077767)
Completely different issue; blown shocks, or said another way, shocks which have leaked their oil out, can certainly cause tire issues, but that is pretty obvious when you get the car up on the rack (or just look through the wheel well). I'm talking about operational non-leaking shocks; never seen any correlation to them and tire wear.

What? Although it is a symptom, shocks don't have to be leaking oil to be considered worn.
Though for chipping wear, I would usually make sure the wheels are aligned first.

That being said, it would be best to stick with OEM but for the same price as most aftermarket shocks, you can buy Tein coilovers.

horseshoez 08-16-2017 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16 (Post 16077982)
What? Although it is a symptom, shocks don't have to be leaking oil to be considered worn.
Though for chipping wear, I would usually make sure the wheels are aligned first.

That being said, it would be best to stick with OEM but for the same price as most aftermarket shocks, you can buy Tein coilovers.

As I wrote in another recent thread on shocks, I've worked as a consulting engineer for three different manufacturers and, in spite of all of the anecdotal reports of folks saying their non-leaking shocks were worn out and new ones dramatically improved the ride/handling of their cars, I've never seen any scientific or even empirical evidence of that.

tpz76 08-20-2017 02:26 AM

I def need new shocks and an alignment, my inner treads are cupped pretty bad, hence causing some nasty road noise (the fact that they are crap Primewell tires doesn't help either, but that is what was on it when I bought it). I'm looking to stay stock, mostly cause I know how touchy Acura's can be with aftermarket parts. However I would be open to suggestions on aftermarket if they didn't hinder ride quality too much.

horseshoez 08-20-2017 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by tpz76 (Post 16080212)
I def need new shocks and an alignment, my inner treads are cupped pretty bad, hence causing some nasty road noise (the fact that they are crap Primewell tires doesn't help either, but that is what was on it when I bought it). I'm looking to stay stock, mostly cause I know how touchy Acura's can be with aftermarket parts. However I would be open to suggestions on aftermarket if they didn't hinder ride quality too much.

What leads you to believe your shocks are bad?