Opinions on lowering 1 inch

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Opinions on lowering 1 inch

I am purchasing a 2006 TL nav manual today. I want to lower it 1 inch, maybe a little more. I don't want to slam it. I also don't want to have to add an Ingall toe/camber kit. I want a nice controlled ride. I don't mind firmer, thats what I am looking for. Coming from an 07 Civic Si a firm ride ok.

In 2007 I installed Eibach Pro springs on a 2007 TL Type S auto and DID NOT like how it hit big bumps and RR tracks. I guess I should have put Koni yellow shocks on at the same time, but I didn't.

What do you suggest? A-Spec coil-overs, Tein SS, I really don't know. I don't mind spending $1k, as I will put them in myself. I have done suspension work b4 and have all the tools.

All ideas and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thankyou Very Much! Jeff D.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:50 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
if you found eibach wasn't to your liking, see aspec suspension
Old 12-15-2008, 07:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aspec is def the way to go with what you want. Its made by the engineers who made the car....id stick to it....theres no mod required after install except for a wheel alignment if that. the car drops .75- 1inch max.....gives it a more agressive look too.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Safety Car

Thanks. I found an A-Spec suspension for $680 shipped, but it was for the automatic, my new car is an 06 TL nav manual. I guess the auto fronts might be stiffer then the manual ones due to trans weight. That would be OK, correct ???
Old 12-16-2008, 12:12 AM
New shoes on my

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The auto does have stiffer fronts. I actually installed the manual fronts in my auto because I wanted a bit more of a drop and the raked look.

I definatly recomend the A-Spec. I love it more and more each day...but please note, in your post above, you mentioned they are coilovers. They are NOT coilovers, you cannot adjust them. Just wanted to clarify in case you were looking for an adjustible suspension.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
You did come back...figured you might. You definitely should've replaced your shocks previously; however, your car probably would've still been stiffer than ASPEC. Given that and everything else you said, I'd say get ASPEC...just keep in mind, you won't get a one inch drop.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the AT a-spec installed and you will get a 0.75 inch drop max. The performance is excellent though.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Instructor

i've got eibach pro springs 1" all round sitting on 19"X8.5, 235/35/19, the rear sits perfect w/ 1 finger (approx. 1") gap w/ no rubbing but the front has IMO way too much gap showing (2-3" gap). i'm not liking how the front sits so after reading your end state; unless you plan on buying 2 different drop rated springs i.e. 1.5-2" front and 1" rear, i would go with tein ss. at least its adjustable. the dealership states the type s suspension is approx. 1/2" lower than base 06-08 TLs. anything more than 1.5" gap is a no go for me. plus the fact this gap create a illusion of the rear sitting lower that the front.good luck
Old 12-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
yeah, I have the a spec and love it! I wanted to go lower but I can't, I already scrape pulling in/out of my driveway as it is. Check out the a spec for sure
Old 12-16-2008, 01:16 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
I have Aspec also and its nice, if you only want 1 inch drop I would say its perfect.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Safety Car

Thanks people. I can always count on good responces here. I like the idea of Acura A-Spec because its a factory part. BUT this time I am installing my body kit and shock/coils myself with my son assisting. I ordered a complete WDP A-Spec body kit this morning. I can't wait, I like the 2006 TL A-Spec body kit much more then the 07 TL-S front A-Spec.

I really want a solid inch, but I guess 3/4" is OK? I intend on getting a nice set of 19" wheels in about a year. Maybe Volk GT-S. I am not a gold wheel person, but somebody on here had a lowered WDP TL with gold center Volk GT-S wheels, and it looks SMOKIN to me.

What about getting Tein SS? What is the minimum lowering? Plus they can be adjusted vs. the Tein basic, which I read are quite stiff.

I will probably end up with S-Spec susp. But I need more opinions first. I won't do the suspension until March 09. For now its body kit, tint, debadge, LED interior lights.

Thanks much again !!! Jeff D. 06 ASM Accord Nav auto. 06 ASM TL Nav auto. 07 ASM TL Type-S auto. Finally I have a 2006 WDP Nav 6 speed!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Wow.. $680 for just springs for ASPEC!! Thats crazy, JD TL-S Im just like you with the ride comfort and I hate those bumps and I also only did springs on my previous car and hated the dam ride. With my TL I didnt make that mistake again and went with the TEIN SS COILOVERS and I couldnt have been happier with my choice!!! You can adjust the dampening and the ride height to your preference so no worries there at all. When I drove down to FL, no one ... myself included could tell the suspension was changed it rode just like OEM. Of course when you encounter rough surface its slightly harsher but nothing like solo spring harshness at all. Just do a search on TEIN SS and you'll see nothng but positive experiences. I would recommend them!!

And you can have the Teins for not too much more than the $680 price. Think about it, springs and shocks, the way a car is suppose to be dropped. I would only do springs if it was like no more than $200.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Check this out, $650 for the TEINS SS from our black market forum. Good price if you ask me.

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/3g-tl-tein-comptech-aem-e-shift-more-no-56k-701346/
Old 12-17-2008, 07:00 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Would the eibach prokit and a good shock give better handling than the aspec suspension?
Old 12-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Wow.. $680 for just springs for ASPEC!!
ASPEC are coilovers...springs and shocks (and top hats already installed).

JD - do a search for pics of my car...there aren't many, and they're usually in a thread with and/or by ACCURATEin. Anyway, I have 19's with ASPEC...it'll give you a good idea how it will look.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Safety Car

Thanks chill_dog and Elegant TYPE S.

chill_dog I did some searching but no results yet.

I really need to think about my options, but I have until early spring 09.

I will NEVER put only coils on again. I should have put Koni Yellow shocks on with the Eibach Pro springs on my LONG GONE 07 TL Type S. But it had an automatic which was friken boring.

I might get Tein SS, as long as I can lower no more then 1.5 inches. I don't want to have to purchase Ingall camber/toe kits. Plus the Tein SS can be softened if wanted.

If I find a great set of A-Spec shocks/coils for cheap, I will probably go that route. But if the Tein SS are only $2-300 more I will get them.

Thankyou once again! J.D.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
I might get Tein SS, as long as I can lower no more then 1.5 inches. I don't want to have to purchase Ingall camber/toe kits. Plus the Tein SS can be softened if wanted.
I don't know how other people are running their setups but I feel like with a 1.5" drop I would want to get a camber kit.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

^Agree.

Also, the Koni's are adjustable, as well, just not as much as the SS. A local guy, mmade22, has H&R springs with Koni shocks and loves them. I've ridden in his car, and it was a nice ride, even over some nasty roads. He will also be more than happy to tell you why you'll need a camber kit with a drop greater than an inch.

I know there are pics around. They're hosted on Photobucket, so I can't repost them since work blocks PB now. If I get some time, I'll upload them to Imageshack and repost them.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by chill_dog
ASPEC are coilovers...springs and shocks (and top hats already installed).

JD - do a search for pics of my car...there aren't many, and they're usually in a thread with and/or by ACCURATEin. Anyway, I have 19's with ASPEC...it'll give you a good idea how it will look.

Thanks for the correction, I learned something, all this time I thought they were just springs All this time I thought there were just springs.

Thanks chill_dog and Elegant TYPE S.

chill_dog I did some searching but no results yet.

I really need to think about my options, but I have until early spring 09.

I will NEVER put only coils on again. I should have put Koni Yellow shocks on with the Eibach Pro springs on my LONG GONE 07 TL Type S. But it had an automatic which was friken boring.

If I find a great set of A-Spec shocks/coils for cheap, I will probably go that route. But if the Tein SS are only $2-300 more I will get them.

Thankyou once again! J.D.
I'm running the TEIN SS with the factory drop setting from TEIN right now, which basically is about 2 finger gap all around and after about 2 months it settles to about 1.5 finger gap all around. I did not need a camber kit at all. My camber is very slightly off in the rear only but do a search and read the thread on Camber created by Mr.HeelToe, very informative and basically says that camber is not as important as TOE if its only off by a little. So I made sure my TOE was adjusted properly, and I've been riding with these for about 20k miles now and have rotated my tires every 5k and I have 100% even wear all around. No signs of premature one sided tire wear.

Last edited by Elegant TYPE S; 12-18-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by phossotronic
I don't know how other people are running their setups but I feel like with a 1.5" drop I would want to get a camber kit.
Here read this informative thread. Its actually a sticky on the top of this section. It clears up all the confusion on Camber and why its not needed most of the time.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/do-i-need-camber-kit-606757/
Old 12-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
it's good to see a person actually do some real world research before making a decision on suspension...

Good luck on what ever you end up with...
Old 12-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Safety Car

Thanks for the correction, I learned something, all this time I thought they were just springs All this time I thought there were just springs.

I'm running the TEIN SS with the factory drop setting from TEIN right now, which basically is about 2 finger gap all around and after about 2 months it settles to about 1.5 finger gap all around. I did not need a camber kit at all. My camber is very slightly off in the rear only but do a search and read the thread on Camber created by Mr.HeelToe, very informative and basically says that camber is not as important as TOE if its only off by a little. So I made sure my TOE was adjusted properly, and I've been riding with these for about 20k miles now and have rotated my tires every 5k and I have 100% even wear all around. No signs of premature one sided tire wear.
Thanks again. How much do you think the Tein SS actually lowered your car in inches. I read they are adjustable from 0.9"-2.5" lower.

When I put just Eibach Pro springs on my 07 TL-S I didn't like it. The height was great, about 1.2" lower, but the ride SUCKED. I should have bought Koni red or yellow shocks also. I did install the rear Ingall toe/camber kit after doing alot of research and reading Mr HeelToe's article. I was considering the A-Spec coil-overs alot, but 3/4" MAX doesn't seem like enough. The Tein SS would be great if I could lower the car about an inch or so and be able to adjust damping.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Jeff. Happy Holidays
Old 12-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Here read this informative thread. Its actually a sticky on the top of this section. It clears up all the confusion on Camber and why its not needed most of the time.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606757
Yeah I've read that, great article. But in the end it really depends on what you're comfortable with and the specific camber spec on you car too. You can't just arbitrarily say you don't need a camber kit (just like I probably shouldn't have arbitrarily said 1.5" drop = kit needed lol). With a 1.5" drop though, for me, I would definitely pay attention to what the camber spec was, and knowing me, I would probably get a kit.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Safety Car

Just talked to the owner of a shop only 2 miles from me! Sweet! He spoke very highly about the Tein SS. They have a lowering range from 0.9"-2.5". And he also said if I lower the car about 1 inch I won't need a camber kit. I also am considering the interior electronic system for them. The place is in Gurnee called Speedquest.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:56 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by phossotronic
Yeah I've read that, great article. But in the end it really depends on what you're comfortable with and the specific camber spec on you car too. You can't just arbitrarily say you don't need a camber kit (just like I probably shouldn't have arbitrarily said 1.5" drop = kit needed lol). With a 1.5" drop though, for me, I would definitely pay attention to what the camber spec was, and knowing me, I would probably get a kit.
My Camber is definitely off, and its off by an amount that is out of the allowable range for sure. The guy told me that I should get a kit, but I told him after reading that article, just do a good job on fixing the toe which he did. After 3 tire rotations each at 5k miles, no premature one sided tire wear and to me that is the true test of whether fixing the camber is really worth it or not. Car drives straight and tires are wearing evenly. So why bother fixing the camber? So I have to agree on it comes to a comfort thing. I definitely can tell you with a 1.5 finger gap all around, with my 19's I do not need a camber kit.

Thanks again. How much do you think the Tein SS actually lowered your car in inches. I read they are adjustable from 0.9"-2.5" lower.

When I put just Eibach Pro springs on my 07 TL-S I didn't like it. The height was great, about 1.2" lower, but the ride SUCKED. I should have bought Koni red or yellow shocks also. I did install the rear Ingall toe/camber kit after doing alot of research and reading Mr HeelToe's article. I was considering the A-Spec coil-overs alot, but 3/4" MAX doesn't seem like enough. The Tein SS would be great if I could lower the car about an inch or so and be able to adjust damping.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Jeff. Happy Holidays

Get the TEIN SS, you won't be disappointed at all, and if you're not, you pretty much won't be happy with anything else, TEIN SS is as good as its going to get for dropping our cars so not much more to it. There are other options but they are more or less the same quality. As far as how many inches I couldn't tell you exactly as I didn't go by that, because I was going by finger gap from the top of my tire.. so I can't say... sorry. Ne wayz post pics once you're done. Try the stock setting that the TEINS come with out of the box, and then go from there. Then play with the height and dampening to get the best ride comfort plus handling. Get a wheel alignment after about 1k miles to make sure the springs are settled and make any final adjustments and your good to go. Don't let the shop convince you to do the wheel alignment immediately because you're wasting your money since the springs will need to settle some more.

Last edited by Elegant TYPE S; 12-21-2008 at 02:59 AM.