Old gear, ugly 20in rims, terrible coilovers, no upper or rear lower control arms

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 01:24 AM
Project TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old gear, ugly 20in rims, terrible coilovers, no upper or rear lower control arms

If anyone has any advice as to getting a good set of coilovers, upper and lower control arms, please believe me I'm all ears. I've already order two new fenders and 4 new turn signals.

Not sure why the previous owner bent the fender the way he did.. i replaced these 20's with ANOVIA NIGHT 18X9.5 35... only to find out he had no way to adjust camber or toe... so currently my car sits with brand new rims and tires but i dont want to drive it in fear of tire wear. Who buys 20in rims with crappy suspension and no way to adjust the camber?

The right side of my fender is the worst of the two.. after putting my new 18in rims on i was able to put my side skirt back on but the car still sits way too low i had bought a set of tien coilovers but everytime id adjust them somehow the ride hight would just lower again. Any suggestions on a decent set of coilovers that arent going to break my bank would be greatly appreciated.

Now this is my passenger side and as you can tell he pulled the fender OUT... so if im going down the highway and hit a bump theres a good chance ill gash my brand new tire. My plan is not to drive the car until im able to replace the front two fenders, and get a decent set of front and rear control arms so that im not killing my tread.

Ill post the pictures of my purple rims here in just a bit. To me the most challenging thing is to redo the front and rear seats, the carpet, and wrapping the tan interior. As for the motor and automatic transmission they both work great. Timing belts been changed, water pump, alternator, new starter, I do have plans for minor upgrades but nothing to extreme.

Again driver side fender with this huge gap between the door frame and fender. Both driver and passenger fenders are missing their turn signals. The interior on this TL is trashed (the tan color) thus far you've only heard me complain but one thing i must say is i spent $1200. I made back $600 of that in the 20in rims alone. I do need two new fenders, side turn signals, Ill also be redoing the headliner (i redid my 2005 Honda Accod and it turned out great)

Theres plenty of work to be done and i figure it will make for some great content on other sites.

The 20in rim in all its glory. Definitely not my cup of tea but as soon as i posted them up they sold for 600$ pretty quickly.

This is what baffles me most of all... mind you these are 20in rims but you would have thought he would have pushed them inward to prevent tire damage. Jacksonville isnt known for smooth road ways.

I had to tow the car home as i didnt want to hit a pothole. The old coilovers werent adjustable, and the tiens i purchased turned out to be just as bad... i got refunded. But now i need to get front upper and rear lower control arms. Oh and i also need new new coilovers.
Old 10-01-2023, 10:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
lots to digest here.
The rust alone would of deterred me away from this car - even at your price point (which I think was 1200?)

the tein coilovers should not instantly just drop your car. makes me wonder if your installing them correctly and if so, there could another suspension issue.
the coilovers will drop slightly from their adjusted height, but over the course of a few days
Old 10-01-2023, 09:45 PM

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts
I honestly wonder what this car hit. The detached bumper, fender damage and missing side skirt say it ran maybe into and then definitely over something at speed.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,188 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by Superunknown
I honestly wonder what this car hit. The detached bumper, fender damage and missing side skirt say it ran maybe into and then definitely over something at speed.
Well the wheel hits the fender when turned and going over bumps.

And he probably had a wheel fall off at some point

Besides that, what did the PO hit, you ask? Probably anything and everything.
Old 10-02-2023, 05:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,426 Posts
I wonder if the driver side ball joint gave out and made the car kachow:

Attached Thumbnails Old gear, ugly 20in rims, terrible coilovers, no upper or rear lower control arms-0461bb44-7cd2-4094-9656-42b674efdf67.jpg  
Old 12-30-2023, 10:58 AM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
when you jump like the dukes of hazzard, the car hits the ground pretty hard ... on both sides.. =)