OEM Shock swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OEM Shock swap

Im no mechanic, but i have a friend that is and we tackled this last night. With the help of some Jack Daniels and few beers, we started the swap of my shocks just to some OEM replacements after 129K. I dont race, I'm not 2 fast and 2 furious, but I love my car and saving money! I just got Monroe OEM replacements and rented a spring compression clamp.

It was a bit tougher than I thought. I didnt realize how much pulling, banging, pushing, cursing and kicking was involved to get the bolts lined up right, the shocks in place, etc....but we got the front end done. 100% my fault on the first one, but I re-assembled the strut wrong and had to do it over.

The rear however was a beyotch. Once again im not a mechanic, but the screws for the top of the rear struts are in the most absurd place. We had to pull out the back seat/rear deck to get to them. So then the manual says to pull a bolt out the bottom of the shock and then remove one bolt for the sway bar, then the shock will drop out. That didnt work and we had to remove everything and the shock was still stuck. Push, bang, pull, smack, and a really loud scream of motherf*cker and the shock finally dropped. The bolt for the sway bar wouldnt thread back in either so i need to replace that also now.

Im finishing the rear tonight, hopefully my friend found some bolts for the sway bar ends and I'll have some pics. I only have pics for the front end right now.

Thats it. Not bad for weekend warrior if i do say so myself
Attached Thumbnails OEM Shock swap-2012-10-17-22.52.13.jpg   OEM Shock swap-2012-10-17-23.00.21.jpg   OEM Shock swap-2012-10-17-23.13.58.jpg   OEM Shock swap-2012-10-17-23.30.30.jpg   OEM Shock swap-2012-10-17-21.02.08.jpg  

Old 10-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
3G Garage:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816065G
The following users liked this post:
ejgold55 (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Cut the endlinks off and replace them with some moog endlinks. They're cheap and don't have that stupid hex key loosening system. I'd like to smack the guy who designed the stock endlinks. (alterately you can just loosen the whole bracket with one additional bolt right near the bottom shock bolt.)
Old 10-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the link Turbonut.

It was dark, i was half asleep and i saw those two bolts to loosen the whole bracket as i finished that side. So just cut em off.....i saw some endlinks on ebay so thats what im going to do. It aint a DIY if you dont smell burning metal and make sparks!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by geekybiker
Cut the endlinks off and replace them with some moog endlinks. They're cheap and don't have that stupid hex key loosening system. I'd like to smack the guy who designed the stock endlinks. (alterately you can just loosen the whole bracket with one additional bolt right near the bottom shock bolt.)

By chance do you have a part # for the moogs or let me know where I can get these?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I personally don't use a spring compressor, my body weight seems to be enough to swap springs, especially stock springs.

I would not have gone with Monroe. They will be worn out in a year. KYBs tend to ride a bit harsh but they will last. Konis are awesome with a lifetime warranty but they are expensive. Bilsteins ride great, give good performance, and are cheaper than Konis. I probably would have looked around for some low mileage used stock shocks from someone that upgraded suspension. I just threw away my a-spec shocks, in hindsight I probably should have sold them.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I personally don't use a spring compressor, my body weight seems to be enough to swap springs, especially stock springs.

I would not have gone with Monroe. They will be worn out in a year. KYBs tend to ride a bit harsh but they will last. Konis are awesome with a lifetime warranty but they are expensive. Bilsteins ride great, give good performance, and are cheaper than Konis. I probably would have looked around for some low mileage used stock shocks from someone that upgraded suspension. I just threw away my a-spec shocks, in hindsight I probably should have sold them.
Hey - first thanks for your input on a few of my post, you have really explained things well..few more questions - what kind of difference did you notice when replacing the A-spec shocks with the Konis?

My car is a daily driver and I was leaning toward just getting the A-spec kit to replace my KYB shocks/stock 06 springs...more or less because of convenience ( there already pre-assembled and I can just take off the old and put on the new and possibility of less down time)...trying to get rid of my harsh ride and if I get some performance gains then great..don't really care if it lowers the car
But...
If the Koni Yellows would be much better then the A-spec shocks then I guess I could buy everything and piece everything back together.

Cost isn't really the issue as long as I am getting a noticeable return in comfort and performance for the extra money spent....

so that would bring 1 more question...
should I stick with my current springs and just get the Koni's or get the Aspec springs and get the Koni's Like I Hate Car did....

thanks again for the great suggestions
Old 03-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Anabolic_one
Hey - first thanks for your input on a few of my post, you have really explained things well..few more questions - what kind of difference did you notice when replacing the A-spec shocks with the Konis?

My car is a daily driver and I was leaning toward just getting the A-spec kit to replace my KYB shocks/stock 06 springs...more or less because of convenience ( there already pre-assembled and I can just take off the old and put on the new and possibility of less down time)...trying to get rid of my harsh ride and if I get some performance gains then great..don't really care if it lowers the car
But...
If the Koni Yellows would be much better then the A-spec shocks then I guess I could buy everything and piece everything back together.

Cost isn't really the issue as long as I am getting a noticeable return in comfort and performance for the extra money spent....

should I stick with my current springs and just get the Koni's or get the Aspec springs and get the Koni's Like I Hate Car did....

thanks again for the great suggestions
That's a tough one. A-spec rides nice but Konis set on full soft ride a little better but never give up control. It's not a huge difference but the Konis are just a hair better. Plus you have the option to crank up the damping if you're in the mood.

I can swap springs without a compressor. I don't suggest it to most but judging by your user name, I'm guessing you might have more size and strength than most on here. The package deal is really nice because it's very easy to swap out. On the flip side, it's not hard to swap just shocks but it does add about 50% more time for me and probably more your first time.

I probably haven't helped much, I think I confused myself more. In short, I think you would be happy with both setups but the Konis will give a slight advantage in comfort.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:12 PM
6SPEED FEVER

Received 119 Likes on 97 Posts
^^agree ...... With koni you get height and dampening adjustment so i would choose koni...
Old 03-23-2013, 06:32 AM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Anabolic_one
But...

Originally Posted by I hate cars
That's a tough one. A-spec rides nice but Konis set on full soft ride a little better but never give up control. It's not a huge difference but the Konis are just a hair better. Plus you have the option to crank up the damping if you're in the mood.

I can swap springs without a compressor. I don't suggest it to most but judging by your user name, I'm guessing you might have more size and strength than most on here. The package deal is really nice because it's very easy to swap out. On the flip side, it's not hard to swap just shocks but it does add about 50% more time for me and probably more your first time.
I didn't think you could order ASPEC springs only? IHC - you posted a few times that you are quite satisfied with your Koni Yellows and ASPEC springs. Did you purchase the springs separately or disassemble the ASPECs and add Yellows? Just curious and that may clarify things for Anabolic.

I just had the ASPEC suspension installed a month ago plus added the Progress rear sway bar and I'm really enjoying the ride. And yes the end links are a PITA. Had to cut the OEM ones and get the Moog replacements.

Good luck,
James
Old 03-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tomlinsonj
I didn't think you could order ASPEC springs only? IHC - you posted a few times that you are quite satisfied with your Koni Yellows and ASPEC springs. Did you purchase the springs separately or disassemble the ASPECs and add Yellows? Just curious and that may clarify things for Anabolic.

I just had the ASPEC suspension installed a month ago plus added the Progress rear sway bar and I'm really enjoying the ride. And yes the end links are a PITA. Had to cut the OEM ones and get the Moog replacements.

Good luck,
James

I ordered some low mileage used aspecs knowing I was going to get rid of the shocks after a few hundred miles. I only used the aspec shocks for that long just so I could know first hand how an aspec car rides and then the Konis went in. I think the aspec as a whole is one of the best compromises between ride quality and performance I've seen, especially considering the TL leans a little more toward luxury than performance. The Konis just like Bilsteins are like magic. They will give a great ride and yet control the body and suspension without being harsh. The only thing better is the magnetic suspensions (magnetic shock fluid with electro magnets on the shocks to control how "thick" the fluid is with reaction times in miliseconds) used in the Vettes, Mercedes, and an increasing number of new high end cars. That's one comfort vs performance ratio we will never be able to achieve. My friend's CL65 Mercedes has almost zero body roll and total ride comfort. The ECU senses when the front wheels hit a bump and momentarily soften the rears so you hardly feel it at all. It senses when you turn the steering wheel (and brakes and throttle) and how hard and firms the shocks up before the car has a chance to respond to the steering. I wish there was a poor man's way of implementing it on the TL but it would cost more than the car is worth.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:46 AM
3 2 GONE

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts
Any word on the moog p/n?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by ATLS_666
Any word on the moog p/n?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,7580

Moog is here, along with others.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:16 PM