Noise from upper right. And Knock through Steering.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Ryan's loving his ATLP TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Noise from upper right. And Knock through Steering.

So I have an 05 TL. I recently installed the A-spec suspension. I've been hearing this odd noise on the front right passenger side. It's nothing intense or insane. It's just been bothering me. Since I like knowing the car is 100%. There's been a metal sounding tap. It happens when I hit a bump. Bumps as in, any bump, but it doesn't happen like every single time I hit one. It's also not too noticeable, but it's enough for me to pick up on it. When I turn into my driveway I can hear it sometimes. I take notice to the sounds of the car on a daily basis.

Also my steering wheel has "HAD" a knock through it. Like I can feel a physical little nudge through the wheel. Nothing insane but I notice it and I doubt these TL's are suppose to have that.
Any ideas of these two issues would be awesome!

None of the sounds really effect the overall performance, it's just been bothering me.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RJNN TL
So I have an 05 TL. I recently installed the A-spec suspension. I've been hearing this odd noise on the front right passenger side. It's nothing intense or insane. It's just been bothering me. Since I like knowing the car is 100%. There's been a metal sounding tap. It happens when I hit a bump. Bumps as in, any bump, but it doesn't happen like every single time I hit one. It's also not too noticeable, but it's enough for me to pick up on it. When I turn into my driveway I can hear it sometimes. I take notice to the sounds of the car on a daily basis.

Also my steering wheel has "HAD" a knock through it. Like I can feel a physical little nudge through the wheel. Nothing insane but I notice it and I doubt these TL's are suppose to have that.
Any ideas of these two issues would be awesome!

None of the sounds really effect the overall performance, it's just been bothering me.

i have recently started feeling a knock sensation through my wheel as well. it definitely feels like it's something related to the steering deep under the hood and not something in the cabin. when it happens, it feels as though i could easily duplicate it by pushing or pulling on the wheel, but i can't. It only happens during dips or sometimes during braking and accelerating. It's a very faint knock feel.

I have to take it in and have an alignment done since i added the aspec suspension a few weeks ago and plan to have the front end and steering system inspected. it's not a big deal right now, and the avg person probably wouldn't think anything of it, but stuff like this bothers me. BTW, it was doing it prior to the aspec install.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by ajs800
i have recently started feeling a knock sensation through my wheel as well. it definitely feels like it's something related to the steering deep under the hood and not something in the cabin. when it happens, it feels as though i could easily duplicate it by pushing or pulling on the wheel, but i can't. It only happens during dips or sometimes during braking and accelerating. It's a very faint knock feel.

I have to take it in and have an alignment done since i added the aspec suspension a few weeks ago and plan to have the front end and steering system inspected. it's not a big deal right now, and the avg person probably wouldn't think anything of it, but stuff like this bothers me. BTW, it was doing it prior to the aspec install.
Mine had this and surprisingly it was the swaybar bushings.

Other things to check are swaybar end links, compliance bushing, steering rack for tightness, top hat where the shocks mount to the body, and ball joints.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by ajs800

Sounds like the same story I have! Interesting! And yes I feel ya on this! It's deff not noticeable by a normal person. It's kinda faint but us TL drivers after a while notice it. :/
Old 05-25-2010, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Mine had this and surprisingly it was the swaybar bushings.

Other things to check are swaybar end links, compliance bushing, steering rack for tightness, top hat where the shocks mount to the body, and ball joints.
Appreciate all the help. I will inspect all and get back!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:26 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had a similar knock for quite some time and have spent a considerable sum of $$$ to fix but to no avail. I have taken it to the Acura dealership and then to 2 seperate Acura only mechanics. First I had the struts replaced, then the engine mounts, then the steering rack (per dealership recommendation), then the left tie rod. All of this and it is as bad as ever. Really don't want to spend much more. Did any of you try the suggestions from this post and have any luck?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
^ they scammed you on a whole lot of money.. =\ recheck all nuts n bolts by the endlinks and tophats.. from what i've found from this site.. its usually from those