No tire warranty with our cars...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No tire warranty with our cars...

I had my car in for an oil change today. As well they are replacing one of my summer tires (bridgestone re030 that come with the car) because I had a screw in it. (i have to pay $350)

My service guy calls me and says that the other front one has a bump or something like that on it. So I need to spend another $350.

I asked him what does the warranty cover. He stated that there is no warranty on the tires. I asked him "so bascially the tire can wear with 200 miles on it and thats my problem and I have to buy a new one". He said "yes"

This is bull. Has anyone one with a 6spd experienced this?
Old 03-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Riu
2004 TL

Well i would not have him replace the other one.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

$186 each. Just get one and have it mounted.

If I were you, I would by four new tires that are good and not deal with this again.

I have these:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=0
Old 03-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the service tech you talked to is full of shi*. Without going and checking, I would almost guarantee there is a warranty from Bridgestone on these tires. I remember looking at a similar leaflet in my old Saab SE Vert for the Michelin tires I had on that car. Granted, it wasn't an "unlimited" warranty but was "limited" to certain aspects but still, it was a warranty.

My thought regarding the "bump" is that you might have hit a pothole and it caused a slight bubble in the sidewall from the impact. This happened a few times with my old Saab but it always happened when there was limited tread left so I didn't look into it much.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Newbie for Life

Plus, where was your screw located? In the tread or sidewall? I know some tire places won't make any patches to any high speed rated tires due to liability but if the screw was in the tread I'm sure it could have been patched. The sidewall is a no-no, but the tread is a different story.

Like I said, perhaps it was due to the high speed rating and they just wouldn't do it.

I agree with the previous poster about tirerack. They'll ship to any tire shop and you only have to pay for mounting/balancing.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dealership replaced my POS Turanza's @ 8,000 miles for "pre-mature wear". Pretty much with no questions asked.

Your mechanic sounds like a prick.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, I also got a free new set of EL42s because of fast wear. I also was told to replace a dented rim, but once I got the rim back I couldn't see anything!

Joe
Old 03-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Advanced

The screw was within an inch of the sidewall so they said I needed a new one.

They are stating that the bump or bubble was caused by an impact. So If I do not replace it they said it is not safe.

Has anyone replaced tires here under warranty?
Old 03-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts
There is a separate tire warranty booklet in the folder with your owner's manual. But the warranty does not cover road hazards, which includes punctures, or a bulge, which I guess is the same as the bump you describe.

$350 is outrageous and they are sticking it to you.

You should have them put the donut spare on and order a set from Tire Rack or Discount Tires or some other discount place. If you belong to Sam's Club, check there also. Even with rush shipment you would pay a lot less per tire than what the dealer is trying to charge you for one tire.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

The tire warranty is not from Acura it's from the tire manufacturer. It's been that way on every new car I've purchased. It's a pita to make a warranty claim too. It's just easier to buy new tires.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by oliverd
The screw was within an inch of the sidewall so they said I needed a new one.

They are stating that the bump or bubble was caused by an impact. So If I do not replace it they said it is not safe.

Has anyone replaced tires here under warranty?
Not being a tire guy, I have no idea if they are screwing you or not on the puncture; however, I got a nail in one of my EL-42's and I took it to two tire shops just to ensure I needed a new tire. I did and ended up talking the Bridgestone shop down on a new one to match the other three.

I was told the same thing about my bubble on my Saab Michelins - not safe. I drove it for awhile longer until I needed all 4 tires replaced and put Continental ContiExtremes on my Saab.

I've never replaced a tire under the tire manufacturer warranty - sorry.

Good luck!!
Old 03-31-2006, 12:14 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HiTEC
The tire warranty is not from Acura it's from the tire manufacturer. It's been that way on every new car I've purchased. It's a pita to make a warranty claim too. It's just easier to buy new tires.
Correct on the tire manufacturer part and then only for manufacturing defects, not road hazards which includes nails and screws in tires or impact breaks. When you replace with new tires, most tire dealers will sell a separate road hazard warranty.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Doubtit
Correct on the tire manufacturer part and then only for manufacturing defects, not road hazards which includes nails and screws in tires or impact breaks. When you replace with new tires, most tire dealers will sell a separate road hazard warranty.
Nothing you can do about the screw, you'll have to replace that one. 350 for a tire is too much.

For the bubbled tire.
Try calling the customer service of the tire manufacturer. If the tire is really new, then they may give you a generous discount of 50% or even free.
Dealers and mechanics do not know about this or bother to deal with it. They just want to make the money.

-Jimmy
Old 04-02-2006, 03:11 AM
TLover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he is in canada so i dont think $350CDN is that bad.

btw i have EL42's with 15,000 miles on them. i used a penny to check the tread wear and it looks like they have to be replaced. do you guys think my dealer would replace them or do i have to go to the manufacturer?