New Wheels, Go Or No Go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007 | 10:32 PM
Instructor

New Wheels, Go Or No Go?

Well, I have decided on a wheels that I want to get on my NBP 08' TL-S. I have yet to see them on any TL, due in part to they will need to be customized in order to fit. I think it will look great and be totally OG, that is if this will work. The wheel is meant for European cars so thats the only pics I have, but hopefully my TL-S will be the first to sport these. I spoke with the manufacturer of the wheel and a wheel customizer. The manufacturer (which I was on the phone with for like 45 minutes, totally helpful) says he thinks it can work. The wheel customizer (another 30 minutes) says he (obviously) needs to see the wheel but believes it can be done Hopefully I'll be poting a new thread entitled "Who said it couldn't be done " I would like to get the opinions of the pro's here on Acurazine (who better to ask?) Here are the specs and pics of the wheel. I'm leaning toward Onyx Black

Size: 19" x 8.5"
Bolt Pattern: 5x112 mm
Offset: 48 mm

left to right: Black Onyx,

[IMG][/IMG]

Onyx Black

[IMG][/IMG]

Gun Metal

[IMG][/IMG]

Hyper Silver

Old 12-20-2007 | 10:38 PM
Suzuka Master

i would say none of the above ... go for either the ron jon legends, or the chrome acura aspec rims ... IMO it will match the car much better
Old 12-20-2007 | 11:21 PM
Instructor

Continued......The custom wheel shop said they could open the lug holes to 114.3 and I also forgot to mention the center bore on these are 57.1 which can be opened to 64.1. As far as fitting them the possible options are 1. manchine the wheel to fit (as described) and use a spacer if needed, or 2. make whell adapters out of billet aluminium and not machine the wheels at all. I have used spacers/adapters in the past and didn't have any issues. The manufacturer said there was enough material to machine them to the specs if needed and not compromise the integrity of the wheel.
Old 12-20-2007 | 11:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VQPower37
i would say none of the above ... go for either the ron jon legends, or the chrome acura aspec rims ... IMO it will match the car much better
I wish it were that simple. I have looked and looked for wheels all over and like these the best. I do have other wheels I like, but not as much as these. I want something a little different. Everone has their own taste and preference about what looks good. If we all had the same color TL's and same mods it would be pretty boring, but when I found these I was like, "yup, thats it". You know, when you know,.... ya know? Thanks for the opinion though
Old 12-21-2007 | 12:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Honestly, if you're going to shave the offset to match the TL's offset (assuming they are for BMW, they most likely will need the pad height to be shaved, instead of adding a spacer), redrill and reseat the bolt pattern, & expand the centerbore, sounds like too many changes to the wheel. Might be too much of a structural compromise, thats just my suggestion.

Also, make sure the pad height (offset) is the same between all the wheels, i have never heard of a BMW wheel with anything higher than a 38mm offset. Audi, yes, BMW, usually is alot lower. I can even see the pad height of the BMW from the front 3/4 view, looks lower than 48 from here even. I engineer and design wheels all day, so I pick up on these things, lol.
Old 12-21-2007 | 10:26 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SoCalTLtypeS
Well, I have decided on a wheels that I want to get on my NBP 08' TL-S. I have yet to see them on any TL, due in part to they will need to be customized in order to fit. I think it will look great and be totally OG, that is if this will work. The wheel is meant for European cars so thats the only pics I have, but hopefully my TL-S will be the first to sport these. I spoke with the manufacturer of the wheel and a wheel customizer. The manufacturer (which I was on the phone with for like 45 minutes, totally helpful) says he thinks it can work. The wheel customizer (another 30 minutes) says he (obviously) needs to see the wheel but believes it can be done Hopefully I'll be poting a new thread entitled "Who said it couldn't be done " I would like to get the opinions of the pro's here on Acurazine (who better to ask?) Here are the specs and pics of the wheel. I'm leaning toward Onyx Black

Size: 19" x 8.5"
Bolt Pattern: 5x112 mm
Offset: 48 mm

left to right: Black Onyx,

[IMG][/IMG]

Onyx Black

[IMG][/IMG]

Gun Metal

[IMG][/IMG]

Hyper Silver

^^^^^Hyper silver look AWESOME IMO.
Old 12-21-2007 | 02:50 PM
Instructor

The oynx black finish looks amazing in person. There's an audi running around with the exact same wheels. There'sa few lexus owners running 5x112 wheels, they used smaller tuner lug nuts. I wouldn't recommend it, but it can be done...are pretty much all BMW's 5x120 anyways? 5x112 is what benz uses and the C class runs similar offsets in the front as the TL.
Old 12-21-2007 | 07:10 PM
BORICUA

That sound like a lot of work. Why don't you just get something like this. Made specifically for your car and it has the same look(seven split spoke)

And you can get them in black chrome
Old 12-21-2007 | 07:25 PM
I have car ADD

works!! awesome wheel
Old 12-21-2007 | 08:17 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Continued......The custom wheel shop said they could open the lug holes to 114.3 and I also forgot to mention the center bore on these are 57.1 which can be opened to 64.1. As far as fitting them the possible options are 1. manchine the wheel to fit (as described) and use a spacer if needed, or 2. make whell adapters out of billet aluminium and not machine the wheels at all. I have used spacers/adapters in the past and didn't have any issues. The manufacturer said there was enough material to machine them to the specs if needed and not compromise the integrity of the wheel.

OK, so you can chop up the mfg wheels... then what happens when you want to sell them in the future? Nobody (in their right mind) is gonna buy them that way.
Old 12-21-2007 | 09:22 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

^ why would he want to sell them in the first place? and maybe someone here on acurazine would want to scoop them up for the same reason he did...to be original. in any case, they look pretty hot to me.
Old 12-21-2007 | 10:43 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by Fyre Man
^ why would he want to sell them in the first place? and maybe someone here on acurazine would want to scoop them up for the same reason he did...to be original. in any case, they look pretty hot to me.
Ah, you are what, fifteen? No offense but you REALLY don't know crap at that age. You probably also think Paris Hilton looks "Hot".

I was 15 once myself so I KNOW what I am talking about. And yes, I did know a LOT more at that age than you do so just imagine what years of experience can do for your understanding of what makes sense and what does not.

As someone else already pointed out, BMW's have 120's, not 112's so the "drilling out" of these would not work anyway.

If you like the style and think its "Hot" you can always get something similar in another wheel (that IS designed to fit a 114.3 pattern).

My advice is that you keep reading to get a better understanding of why turning cash into trash is a bad idea in this way.
Old 12-22-2007 | 12:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Seems like too much effort and would probably ruin the structural integrity of the wheel like Ron said. The wheel doesn't even look that nice IMO...Those Work Varianzas blow them away and they're made specifically for your car so you don't have to worry about any fitment issues.
Old 12-23-2007 | 12:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rondog
Honestly, if you're going to shave the offset to match the TL's offset (assuming they are for BMW, they most likely will need the pad height to be shaved, instead of adding a spacer), redrill and reseat the bolt pattern, & expand the centerbore, sounds like too many changes to the wheel. Might be too much of a structural compromise, thats just my suggestion.

Also, make sure the pad height (offset) is the same between all the wheels, i have never heard of a BMW wheel with anything higher than a 38mm offset. Audi, yes, BMW, usually is alot lower. I can even see the pad height of the BMW from the front 3/4 view, looks lower than 48 from here even. I engineer and design wheels all day, so I pick up on these things, lol.
Thanks for lookin out rondog. The wheel design is originally made for Audi which may expalin the offset 48. I have to see them in person to even see if customizing them possible. Once I get my wheel off and put tis one up there I'm sure I will be able to see if this is even possible. Has anyone on here ever attempted anything like this?
Old 12-23-2007 | 12:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MICHAELBPR
That sound like a lot of work. Why don't you just get something like this. Made specifically for your car and it has the same look(seven split spoke)

Man MICHAELBPR in my hunt I came across those and they are close, but I don't want a wheel with a lip. Also the transition from the spoke to the centerbore is too sharp, not smooth like the ones I found.

These Enkei's were the closest looking ones I found. Problem: They only come in 18", I think I couldn't confirm through Enkei, because I was unable to find a contact link on their Web Page to ask. If these came in a dark color and 19" x 8.5" I would buy these so i wouldn't have to mod the other wheels.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-23-2007 | 12:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ndabunka
OK, so you can chop up the mfg wheels... then what happens when you want to sell them in the future? Nobody (in their right mind) is gonna buy them that way.
I'm not worried about that. If I have to I'll sell the wheels on the car, and sell the stock 17x 8 wheels seperate.
Old 12-23-2007 | 12:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by limited
The oynx black finish looks amazing in person. There's an audi running around with the exact same wheels. There'sa few lexus owners running 5x112 wheels, they used smaller tuner lug nuts. I wouldn't recommend it, but it can be done...are pretty much all BMW's 5x120 anyways? 5x112 is what benz uses and the C class runs similar offsets in the front as the TL.
I looked into that option too. I guess they make lugs that have floating centers for situations like this. I would prefer to open up the holes, even if it's just a little bit
Old 12-23-2007 | 02:13 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

I'm not worried about that. If I have to I'll sell the wheels on the car, and sell the stock 17x 8 wheels seperate.
Taking your own life in your own hands with a dangerous setup is one thing. Selling it to someone else is quite another. Legally you would have to divulge the chop-effort to the buying party. Keeping them on the car would make you liable after sale if anything happens (i.e. wheel failure, etc). In short, you can't really sell the wheels on the car as you'd create a liability. Better just to throw them out and put stock ones on when the time came to sell it.
Old 12-23-2007 | 12:57 PM
BORICUA

^
Old 12-28-2007 | 05:16 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MICHAELBPR

Beautiful. Get the polished silver spokes.
Old 12-28-2007 | 05:19 AM
Safety Car

Man MICHAELBPR in my hunt I came across those and they are close, but I don't want a wheel with a lip. Also the transition from the spoke to the centerbore is too sharp, not smooth like the ones I found.

These Enkei's were the closest looking ones I found. Problem: They only come in 18", I think I couldn't confirm through Enkei, because I was unable to find a contact link on their Web Page to ask. If these came in a dark color and 19" x 8.5" I would buy these so i wouldn't have to mod the other wheels.

[IMG][/IMG]

NO LIP WOW, your choice
Old 12-28-2007 | 06:36 AM
Safety Car

I love the look without a lip.

Here is something that's somewhat similar...in case you were open to alternate options.

Old 12-28-2007 | 01:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by aznbo187
I love the look without a lip.

Here is something that's somewhat similar...in case you were open to alternate options.

I saw those when I was looking on the Enkei site they are a possibility. These Advan wheels also caught my eye. I think the Gun Metallic ones are money

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-28-2007 | 04:14 PM
Safety Car

Advan RS' are hot!
Old 12-29-2007 | 02:28 PM
Instructor

I really like the Advan RS wheels also. A big plus is there is no modification to the wheels to make them fit I called and spoke to a local dealer of the wheel and they said it will take 60-90 days for the wheels to get shipped in. The dealer gets them from MakKin (spelling?) I'm a little nervous, since I hear about the horror stories involved with people ordering wheels like Volk through Makkin, that it takes way longer than the 30-60 day time frame. They also want 50% down which is about $1500. So I need some reassurance on this. And one last thing,- the wheel is 19 x 9, 5-114.3, 38 offset. The dealer said this would fit my car, but I want to make sure. Can anyone tell me that this will for sure work with no rubbing/turning issues? The front whells are my concern with clearing the Brembos and not rubbing when I turn. I don't want to wait 90 days or longer, pay $1500, and the wheels not fit. My TL-S is on stock suspension. Thanks
Old 12-29-2007 | 02:40 PM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Since you are in so cal, it shouldn't be too hard to find a shop you can get your wheels from. You might want to check out Status Auto Design in Hermosa Beach or Gruppe-S in Lake Forest.
Old 01-04-2008 | 12:50 PM
Safety Car

My first choice is the Work Varianza 19" with polished silver spokes. Second choice would

be the Audi wheel in hyper silver. IMO...IMO...
Old 01-05-2008 | 02:12 AM
Shift Gears

Please dont destroy those beautiful RS4 wheels...they would look like Heaven on my VW I just bought if you want to hand them over. I promise to take goooood care of them
Old 01-05-2008 | 07:18 AM
Iro Ridg .308

I really like the Advan RS

The Enkei GTC01's, Advan RS, and Volk RE30's (similar look to the Enkei's) were all at the top of my list. With the GTC's and RS's, at least you can get em in 19's.

With the RS's, you'll probably have to go with a 19 x 9.0 since I think the only other available width is 19 x 10.
Old 01-05-2008 | 08:28 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

19x9 +38 is the equicalent of 19x8.5 +33 which is a tight fit, but with 245/30/19 tires should be good all the way around
Old 01-06-2008 | 09:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stillhere153
19x9 +38 is the equicalent of 19x8.5 +33 which is a tight fit, but with 245/30/19 tires should be good all the way around
Cool. 30 series huh? Damn that seems like a pretty rough ride. So 235/35 or 225/35 on the 19x9 will rub you think? And out of curiosity how do you determine what the equivalent of a wheels is? Is there a link you can post or a formula? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2008 | 09:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HONgDA
Since you are in so cal, it shouldn't be too hard to find a shop you can get your wheels from. You might want to check out Status Auto Design in Hermosa Beach or Gruppe-S in Lake Forest.
yeh i gotta contact them. If I purchase the wheels from a local shop at least if there is a fit issue, I'll know as soon as they mount them on the car at there shop.
Old 01-06-2008 | 09:49 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

since you brought up Advan RS, here are some wheels along that design:

AME FS-01:

Volk racing GTF:
Old 01-08-2008 | 01:04 AM
Burning Brakes

SoCalTLtypeS,

You've got great taste in rims. I too like the no lip concave look of the Audi RS4 rims. And I also really like a few of the Yokohama rims for the same reason.

Here are a couple other replicas of the Audi rims I found:

Work Durata (available in 114.3 bolt pattern, but only 18"):
http://www.work-wheels.co.jp/product...=16&Item_id=65

Ace RS4 D674 (looks like they only come in 5x112 bolt pattern):
http://www.shop4wheel.com/product_13514_102173.html

The AME FS-01 posted above is also really nice. I think I'd prefer them over the Yokohamas because the AMEs are a newer design and they are made by Enkei using their M.A.T. technology which makes these rims on par with forged rims in terms of light weight and strength, but at a much cheaper cost. In fact, I think the AME rims are a bit cheaper than the cast Yokohama rims.
Old 01-08-2008 | 11:52 PM
Instructor

I like the way those AME wheels look. Any Idea on the cost? Here'a a pic of some on an older gen Acura
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-09-2008 | 12:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
SoCalTLtypeS,

You've got great taste in rims. I too like the no lip concave look of the Audi RS4 rims. And I also really like a few of the Yokohama rims for the same reason.

Here are a couple other replicas of the Audi rims I found:

Work Durata (available in 114.3 bolt pattern, but only 18"):
http://www.work-wheels.co.jp/product...=16&Item_id=65

Ace RS4 D674 (looks like they only come in 5x112 bolt pattern):
http://www.shop4wheel.com/product_13514_102173.html

The AME FS-01 posted above is also really nice. I think I'd prefer them over the Yokohamas because the AMEs are a newer design and they are made by Enkei using their M.A.T. technology which makes these rims on par with forged rims in terms of light weight and strength, but at a much cheaper cost. In fact, I think the AME rims are a bit cheaper than the cast Yokohama rims.
Thanks for the input. I checked on those Aces a few weeks ago and was disapointed to find out they didn't fit either and the Works have our bolt pattern but only come in 18. Man I feel like it mission impossible to find that style wheel in our bolt pattern. There are several wheel manufacturers that have that style but just not a 19 x 8.5 or 9 in 5-114.3, 64.1 centerbore. I'm not giving up though. The search still continues...............
Old 01-09-2008 | 12:33 AM
Kang Ho

That's not an older gen Acura, lol. That's a RL from sam; he sold it to a dealer a few months back.

EDIT: I forgot his username, but he can get you prices for those wheels.
Old 01-09-2008 | 07:19 AM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

^ it's Touge PM him for details on those AME FS01s.
Old 01-09-2008 | 10:48 PM
Instructor

My bad , I'll conact him for details
Old 01-10-2008 | 01:09 AM
Instructor

I think you should go with some volk gtn's. Those would look nice.

Quick Reply: New Wheels, Go Or No Go?