New Tires Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:49 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tires Needed

I am in need of a new set of tires for my 05 TL. Currently have Toyo Proxes but looking for something else. I really need good traction in rain and snow. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Many to choose from, but whatever your decision get 245/45-17.
This might help:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ireSearch=true
Old 11-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Dunlop star specs ...... mine are on the way.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I have had these on for over 10,000 miles with no complaints. Good snow traction and seem to perform better than the OEM's.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS
Old 11-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
^ go with those, im waiting for my tires to wear out then im gonna switch to those
Old 11-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
^ x3. Here's the thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/new-continental-extreme-contact-dws-mich-pilot-s-plus-745576/
Old 11-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
^x4 on the DWS.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by OntheJob
Dunlop star specs ...... mine are on the way.
Yes, an ultra performance summer tire for "good traction in the rain and snow". Those play second fiddle to the NT05 in performance, noise, and wear anyway and they're overpriced.

I've had great luck with the Yokohama Avid tires on the Murano. It's been in the snow quite a bit and did surprisngly well. I went down some roads that regular 4x4s were getting stuck on and never broke traction.

They're not a dedicated snow tire by any means but they handle snow very well for an all season. Only thing I can say about wet traction is they handle 70mph on the freeway in the wet very well but I don't push the limts at all in that car or in the wet so I can't give much of a review. Water channeling seems to be fine.

Dry traction is ok and they're quiet and comfortable.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Yes, an ultra performance summer tire for "good traction in the rain and snow". Those play second fiddle to the NT05 in performance, noise, and wear anyway and they're overpriced.

I've had great luck with the Yokohama Avid tires on the Murano. It's been in the snow quite a bit and did surprisngly well. I went down some roads that regular 4x4s were getting stuck on and never broke traction.

They're not a dedicated snow tire by any means but they handle snow very well for an all season. Only thing I can say about wet traction is they handle 70mph on the freeway in the wet very well but I don't push the limts at all in that car or in the wet so I can't give much of a review. Water channeling seems to be fine.

Dry traction is ok and they're quiet and comfortable.
Not sure where you were going with that, however living in Florida I dont have to worry about snow so thats kind of a benefit not having to worry about ice/snow which would suck when choosing tires.
I read the reviews on tire rack and other sources as well as the Ultra summer tire comparison done by car and driver and the star specs came out on top. So considering my location of living, the choice was clear.

Now $145 per tire is not CHEAP by any means and I agree with you that their expensive, but compared to the original equipment tire the car came with, to replace those I was looking at prices at over $200 per tire... and NOT NEEDING an all-season, I am still saving money yet gaining a tire that is off the charts better then the stockies.

I suggested these in case he decides to buy two sets, summer/winter like most northern residents do.

heres the link to the test... enjoy:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Last edited by OntheJob; 11-12-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Team Owner

Not sure where you were going with that, however living in Florida I dont have to worry about snow so thats kind of a benefit not having to worry about ice/snow which would suck when choosing tires.
I read the reviews on tire rack and other sources as well as the Ultra summer tire comparison done by car and driver and the star specs came out on top. So considering my location of living, the choice was clear.

Now $145 per tire is not CHEAP by any means and I agree with you that their expensive, but compared to the original equipment tire the car came with, to replace those I was looking at prices at over $200 per tire... and NOT NEEDING an all-season, I am still saving money yet gaining a tire that is off the charts better then the stockies.

I suggested these in case he decides to buy two sets, summer/winter like most northern residents do.

heres the link to the test... enjoy:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Already did a ton of research including that particular article. The Star Specs are among the best out there, in the top 3 ultra performance summer tires for sure.

Stock tires are among the worst cost vs performance value.

At the track, I'm seeing more and more people running the NT05. All personal differences aside I think you would be happier with these. They're extremely quiet, unreal grip, amazing turn-in response without being overly stiff, and they hang in there without turning to butter lap after lap.

The downside is they only come with 6/32 tread and a 200 treadwear rating. So far I've manged 20,000 miles out of a set with one track day on them. Should be able to eek another 10,000 out of them.

I have to look through my old posts and note but I believe it pulled 1.2gs on the skidpad with them on the TL.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant go wrong with Falkens 912 All season... love mine, super quiet great in all weather cond.. got all mine for 536$ mounted and balenced..
Old 11-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Already did a ton of research including that particular article. The Star Specs are among the best out there, in the top 3 ultra performance summer tires for sure.

At the track, I'm seeing more and more people running the NT05. All personal differences aside I think you would be happier with these. They're extremely quiet, unreal grip, amazing turn-in response without being overly stiff, and they hang in there without turning to butter lap after lap.

The downside is they only come with 6/32 tread and a 200 treadwear rating. So far I've manged 20,000 miles out of a set with one track day on them. Should be able to eek another 10,000 out of them.

I have to look through my old posts and note but I believe it pulled 1.2gs on the skidpad with them on the TL.

True, I am totally interested to see how many miles I will get out of a 200 treadware rated tire. I am a few weeks away from replacing my original tires and I have 45k on the car so I really stretched those out, it should also be noted however I dont change tires until I am at or below the treadware bar "or whatever its called i forget" in the middle of the tread.

Im glad I caught that article cause I almost went with the falken azenis r615's and they turned out to be horrible, although the new r615K claims to have a better compound.

Ill read up on the nto5, but I should also add that I am pretty picky out tires sidewall design and tread patterns. Just a preference of mine.

Ill do a little write up once I get all 4 corners replaced. Until then their sitting in storage.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Toyo Versados. Treadwear has been excellent. 23000 miles and at 7/32 or greater. My dealer is impressed with how they are holding up. I rotate every 5-7000 miles. They are W speed rated all season tires, not the performance like Proxes. I travel for work so I went for comfort, tread life, and all season performance for northeast weather. If you do highway driving, and a lot of miles; these are a good option and priced reasonable.

Last edited by millarduck; 11-18-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Team Owner

True, I am totally interested to see how many miles I will get out of a 200 treadware rated tire. I am a few weeks away from replacing my original tires and I have 45k on the car so I really stretched those out, it should also be noted however I dont change tires until I am at or below the treadware bar "or whatever its called i forget" in the middle of the tread.

Im glad I caught that article cause I almost went with the falken azenis r615's and they turned out to be horrible, although the new r615K claims to have a better compound.

Ill read up on the nto5, but I should also add that I am pretty picky out tires sidewall design and tread patterns. Just a preference of mine.

Ill do a little write up once I get all 4 corners replaced. Until then their sitting in storage.
Sidewalls are pretty nice, tread is very nice...

Old 11-18-2010, 11:02 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Hankook Ventus V12 evo!
Old 11-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

agreed the stocks for the cost are crap... interesting skip pad results... hmmmmmmm