New shoes for my '04 manual TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
New shoes for my '04 manual TL

After a lot of searching around on websites, TireRack and others, I finally narrowed it down to two tires for my '04. The Yokohama AVID W4S and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on it now with around 40,000 miles on them. They still have a little life left, but I wanted to go ahead and have new tires put on the car now.

I went with the Michelin's and had them installed this morning (TireRack prices at my local dealer with installation and balancing included through the end of April). Had the alignment checked and it was fine (65,000 miles on the car!).

In a few weeks, I'm going to have the Yoko's installed on my other TL; an '05 automatic my wife drives. Good chance to compare the two.

The shop was very careful not to damage my rims and handled my TL with kid gloves (maybe because I was armed???). No, they're just careful anyway.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:20 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts

I've got the same tire and really like them so far. Of course I came from the MXM4, not the previous Pilot Sports A/S version, so I got a BIG upgrade.

Got 'em pretty cheap too. Saved about $20 per tire. Local tire store price matched the BS 960 AS I was considering.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Bearcat94

I've got the same tire and really like them so far. Of course I came from the MXM4, not the previous Pilot Sports A/S version, so I got a BIG upgrade.

Got 'em pretty cheap too. Saved about $20 per tire. Local tire store price matched the BS 960 AS I was considering.
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S were good tires. They did cause a drop in fuel economy but that is to be expected with ultra high-performance A/S tires. I will say that they are nicely matched to the suspension of the manual TL. SO I am anxious to see how the new "Plus" version of these tires fairs on the car. Cannot give any sort of objective assessment when they are brand new.. have to wait about 1000+ miles and then see.

I am so anal, I take into consideration the diameter of the tire (can have the same affect as changing the final drive gear), the weight (affects suspension travel and more importantly, delivered torque), and foot print width (I want a nice footprint on the pavement).

One thing that was really interesting just after having them installed. I stopped my car at the opposite end of the industrial-type building where the shop was located (it's all pretty new) to check out my new tires and the rims to make sure them were Ok. When I got back into my car, I noticed a canine walking along the grassy area about 20 yards in front of me. He squatted down to rub his butt in the grass then just kind ambled along from my left to my right in front of my car. IT WAS A COYOTE!! First one I've seen in the area. I called my wife and had her on the phone while I was watching the animal. I had him in full view for perhaps two minutes. Wow.

On another side, does anyone have any opinions on the Yokohama AVID W4S tires?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Tough to compare the Michelin with the W4s as the tires are about $60 difference in price, but the best bang for the buck has got to be the W4s, widest tread available. I have the Advan S.4 245/45-17, and the Michelins will need to go some to outperform these tires, and they are about the same price. The S.4 isn't as wide as the W4s, but it is wider than most. Too bad I've never tried the Michelin's, but as the S.4 is an outstanding tire in all situations, I wish you luck with them.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Tough to compare the Michelin with the W4s as the tires are about $60 difference in price, but the best bang for the buck has got to be the W4s, widest tread available. I have the Advan S.4 245/45-17, and the Michelins will need to go some to outperform these tires, and they are about the same price. The S.4 isn't as wide as the W4s, but it is wider than most. Too bad I've never tried the Michelin's, but as the S.4 is an outstanding tire in all situations, I wish you luck with them.
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Yokie W4S's for my wife's car. I was really thinking about them form my car, but thought I'd give the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus's a try.

I checked out the Yokie S.4's on TireRack and some complained about lack of life and also lower performance in wet/snow conditions. What is your opinion in these areas? My wife does drive her car in some snow when we get it and, of course rain, and her route to work takes her along some two-lane (nice) country roads. Do you think she would be better off with the W4S's or perhaps the S.4's? Any info you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:26 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got new shoes today too. Nothing fancy shmancy though, just General Exclaim UHP's.

With the advice received on the board (inflate to 42 psi), I should have a lot of fun cornering like a madman this summer and jackrabitting off the line like a lunatic... WEEEEE!!!

'05 manual silver TL...
Old 03-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

Well this morning, I had a set of the Yokohama AVID W4S A/S tires installed on my other (wife's) TL, an '05 automatic. These replaced the set of Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S tires which were, in a word, terrible!

So in the period of seven days, both of my TL's have been shod with new rubber. A good comparison test between the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my '04 manual and the W4S tires on her '05. I have to say that the W4S's have perhaps the largest footprint of any 235/45-17 tire I've ever seen.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:04 AM
Intermediate

Keep us up to date on how the two compair. I am in the same situation right now choosing between the W4S and S Drives. Although have been leaning toward the W4S. Also I see you are in Manassas, where did you get them done? And how much did you pay? Mr Tire in my area has the W4S for $171 a tire, tire rack price is $119 I think?
Old 03-30-2009, 05:05 AM
Intermediate

Also is you can post pics, i was thinking about going with the 245/45/17 for a wide shoe, but I see you went with the 235, so it would be nice to compare. Thanks,
Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by k9lovr
Keep us up to date on how the two compair. I am in the same situation right now choosing between the W4S and S Drives. Although have been leaning toward the W4S. Also I see you are in Manassas, where did you get them done? And how much did you pay? Mr Tire in my area has the W4S for $171 a tire, tire rack price is $119 I think?
Actually, I am about 6 miles from Manassas. I paid $119 for the W4S's and until the end of April, that also includes mounting and balancing. The shop got them from TireRack and only charged me for the shipping. I also had them do an alignment (since I pretty much knew it was off a bit on her car). They also installed my new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires 9 days ago for $188 each (same deal).

The name of the shop is Curry's Auto Service and if you are interested in following up on this, send me a PM and I'll give you more info.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:17 AM
Registered Member

Also is you can post pics, i was thinking about going with the 245/45/17 for a wide shoe, but I see you went with the 235, so it would be nice to compare. Thanks,
I can tell you the W4S's are freakin' wide for 235's. Noticebly more so than my Pilot Sports. I would not go with the 245's for several reasons. You might have a rubbing problem. They are 2 pounds heavier and 4/10" taller than the 235's. This will effectively reduce your accelerative capabilities since you are adding more weight and the taller tire is like going to a higher gear (bad for acceleration). In other words, you will lose a little throttle response and at WOT, the engine will not be delivering as much HP and torque to the ground.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:22 AM
Registered Member

BTW, if you want to do questions and answers over the phone, PM me a number and times where I can reach you and I'll give you a call since you're local.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
I would not go with the 245's for several reasons. You might have a rubbing problem. They are 2 pounds heavier and 4/10" taller than the 235's. This will effectively reduce your accelerative capabilities since you are adding more weight and the taller tire is like going to a higher gear (bad for acceleration). In other words, you will lose a little throttle response and at WOT, the engine will not be delivering as much HP and torque to the ground.
Got to comment, the 245's won't rub, and although the .4" larger tire lowers the gear ratio .0261%, don't believe anyone's going to notice that in performance. Similar to saying that the larger diameter tire will afford better fuel mileage on the highway, as the engine in turning 30 rpm slower and the additional weight of the tire helps to keep the car rolling easier, but in town it will take slightly more energy to get the car moving. The 8 lbs difference in weight is probably like adding 16 lbs in the trunk. 235 weigh 24/29 lbs while the 245 are 24/30 lbs depending on the brand choosen. Bottom line, insignificant differences between the two sizes. It just boils down to personal preference as to looks and how one wants the tire to fill out the wheel well and get a little more rubber on the road.

Last edited by Turbonut; 03-30-2009 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Got to comment, the 245's won't rub, and although the .4" larger tire lowers the gear ratio .0261%, don't believe anyone's going to notice that in performance. Similar to saying that the larger diameter tire will afford better fuel mileage on the highway, as the engine in turning 30 rpm slower and the additional weight of the tire helps to keep the car rolling easier, but in town it will take slightly more energy to get the car moving. The 8 lbs difference in weight is probably like adding 16 lbs in the trunk. 235 weigh 24/29 lbs while the 245 are 24/30 lbs depending on the brand choosen. Bottom line, insignificant differences between the two sizes. It just boils down to personal preference as to looks and how one wants the tire to fill out the wheel well and get a little more rubber on the road.
Thanks for your comments, Turbonut. I wasn't sure about the rubbing possibility. As for the other, you would pretty much have to run the car through the clocks or really be atuned to its quirks.

Just a slight correction. A taller tire will result in a simulated higher gear ratio, not lower. A shorter tire would equate to a lower gear.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Suzuka Master

quirks.

Just a slight correction. A taller tire will result in a simulated higher gear ratio, not lower. A shorter tire would equate to a lower gear.

100% correct, my error, just worded it incorrectly. I calculated it to be 4.3763 on the auto with the 24.7" tires which is a lower number, but a higher ratio.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

100% correct, my error, just worded it incorrectly. I calculated it to be 4.3763 on the auto with the 24.7" tires which is a lower number, but a higher ratio.
One thing I did notice yesterday. I took the '05 out on an interstate highway for about 2 miles and for the first mile or so, there was flat spotting. It when away quickly. My wife didn't notice this at all on her way to work this morning.. she's so thankful to have "quiet" tires for a change.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Suzuka Master

One thing I did notice yesterday. I took the '05 out on an interstate highway for about 2 miles and for the first mile or so, there was flat spotting. It when away quickly. My wife didn't notice this at all on her way to work this morning.. she's so thankful to have "quiet" tires for a change.
The '05 has the Michelins? I also have flat spotting with the Yoko Advan S.4, so it will be interesting to see results with the W4s.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

The '05 has the Michelins? I also have flat spotting with the Yoko Advan S.4, so it will be interesting to see results with the W4s.
No, my '04 manual has the Michelins. It' the '05 automatic that has the W4S's. I'll try to keep you posted and once again, thanks for your input.