New rims look great but show more...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New rims look great but show more...

Once my new rims were put on they show more of what's behind the wheel. Which is great since the MT comes with the painted calipers in the front and I took my car in to have the rear calipers painted to match.

BUT......(there is always a but)

Now I can see where the hat/hub of my brake rotors has rusted/corroded. Not the surface of the rotor (any rust is scraped off when braking anyway) but the hub right behind the wheel. It can't be seen from a distance but close up it is not very visually appealing. In the following picture you can see the outline of rust just behind the rim:

So what to do ? Is there a way to rid the hub of this rust ? Should I think about getting some aftermarket drilled rotors that are plated to prevent this kind of corrosion ?

Have any of you had this issue and if so what did you do to solve it ?

Thanks !
Old 07-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Pro

i actually have the same problem. I have the Rotora BBK and its rusted around the hub part...i know its not supposed to do that because it comes supposedly plated. But i too would like to know of a way to treat this beside spray painting because spraying it will be rough right? I want it smooth as possible...this is mine

Old 07-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Racer

I have the same problem too!!! I don't what I should do, maybe time for me to get the BBK and replace the rear rotors as well? Shit if I do that I am the victim of the mod bug haha Anyways hopefully someone can help us...
Old 07-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
i had the same problem on my rotors. it was discolored (not rusted) on the hub, and also rusting around the edges---that looked really bad. i pull each rotor off the car, and sanded, painted, and cleared the hub and sides. looks a million times better.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:24 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by njzprettyboy
i had the same problem on my rotors. it was discolored (not rusted) on the hub, and also rusting around the edges---that looked really bad. i pull each rotor off the car, and sanded, painted, and cleared the hub and sides. looks a million times better.
Yep... sanding and then putting down a clearcoat is the way to do it... youcould paint it a silver color also, but all you really need is a clearcoat... I have also heard of people using a silicone paint that worked....
Old 07-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jmbnova
Yep... sanding and then putting down a clearcoat is the way to do it... youcould paint it a silver color also, but all you really need is a clearcoat... I have also heard of people using a silicone paint that worked....

soo if i sand mine down and paint it and then clear it then it will be nice and smooth rite?....i know the clear comes in a can and u have to load it in the air gun...but can i get clear in a can where i just can spray it on without the air gun? Thanks guyz
Old 07-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuracy
soo if i sand mine down and paint it and then clear it then it will be nice and smooth rite?....i know the clear comes in a can and u have to load it in the air gun...but can i get clear in a can where i just can spray it on without the air gun? Thanks guyz
i just used high temp spray paint, both clear and black that i got from pep boys. its holding up pretty well, but i dont really drive my car too much anymore. dont worry about getting paint on the rotor where the pad touches, it will all burn off anyway. my rotors were actaully covered in black paint, but burned off on the drive home from a friends garage.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:14 PM
B A N N E D

This maybe an offtopic question but i did spraypaint my brake calipers and it looks prty good, but i oversprayed on my stem and a little bit on the rotor where it cant burn off at. now, i tryed paint thinner, and now im going to try paint stripper, if anyone knows of any better methods please let me know. its on 3 outta 4 of the rims i need to get the paint off. lol !@
Old 07-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jmbnova
If that works I may be making another road trip to Long Island to have this done where I had my calipers painted. I was shocked to see the Rotora BBK had rusted....are the non OEM manufacturers lying through their teeth when they say the rotors are treated so they won't rust ?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Racer

Acuracy.....I like the red calipers.....what color is your TL ? If I had white, black or silver I would have gone with red for my calipers....I didn't think red would be a good match with Anthracite.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Adamo0926
Acuracy.....I like the red calipers.....what color is your TL ? If I had white, black or silver I would have gone with red for my calipers....I didn't think red would be a good match with Anthracite.
yea i was heated when it started to rust. I was even more mad because it started after my warranty was up. But when u come to long island let me know, i mite come with u to get mine painted. My car is silver, thats why i liked the way the red stood out but on anthracite i would special order the black. I just wish the BBk was bigger, when i bought this it was jsut a 13 inch rotor, but now they have a 14inch rotor im thinking of getting alond with the rear 13in BBk. So if u want the BBK let me know, i will paint this over regardless though.

Travis
Old 07-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Racer

Acuracy....how old were the rotors before they started to rust at the hub ?
Old 07-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Adamo0926
Acuracy....how old were the rotors before they started to rust at the hub ?
about a year old....i thought it was the salt and wat not from winter but after talking with Josh from Excelerate at the last meet he said its NOT normal...but like i said i mite upgrade the kit later this year with the kit with the bigger rotor, I just hope that one doesnt rust like this one since its "not normal".

Travis
Old 07-07-2006, 12:20 AM
Racer

about a year old....i thought it was the salt and wat not from winter but after talking with Josh from Excelerate at the last meet he said its NOT normal...but like i said i mite upgrade the kit later this year with the kit with the bigger rotor, I just hope that one doesnt rust like this one since its "not normal".

Travis
Did you contact Rotora about that ? And if you did what did they say ?
Old 07-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same rust issue, has anyone presented this to an authorized dealer? My car has under 20K miles and I think I will take it in and see what they say. Curious if others have done this already and what the response was.....
Old 07-07-2006, 07:39 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Mine are less than about two months old..Rotora....1/8" ring of rust at hub already. Right where the pad does not touch. Glad Chad told you this...take it I will have no problem warranteeing them after this statement.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:47 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Actually...the Rotora site mentions NOTHING that I read about Zinc coating. They mention they are E-coated black to revent rust. Well....no rust where they are coated black right at the hub. BUT.....if they were to zinc coat the entire rotor....would this not possibly hinder heat dissapation (sp?). Not to mention it would likely be worn off by pad wear and possibly contaminate the pads? Not sure....just thinking aloud?
Old 07-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Actually...the Rotora site mentions NOTHING that I read about Zinc coating. They mention they are E-coated black to revent rust. Well....no rust where they are coated black right at the hub. BUT.....if they were to zinc coat the entire rotor....would this not possibly hinder heat dissapation (sp?). Not to mention it would likely be worn off by pad wear and possibly contaminate the pads? Not sure....just thinking aloud?
Now that you mention it, I don't think there is any way to prevent the small ring of rust at the base of the hub that is actually on the surface of the rotor. I doubt any manufacturer would ever coat the actual surface that comes in contact with the pad and even if they did I would think it would eventually be scraped off by the friction. So I guess until they figure out how to manufacture a stainless steel rotor we are out of luck with that....lol.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Mine are less than about two months old..Rotora....1/8" ring of rust at hub already. Right where the pad does not touch. Glad Chad told you this...take it I will have no problem warranteeing them after this statement.
damn Mike ur rotors have rust already...damn that sucks...looks like im done with rotora...mite try stoptech or brembo...ive never had this problem with my stoptech or brembo kits that i had on my other cars....im not sure if they have a 14 inch rotor though...i mean this is a little problem that makes the wheel and brakes look like shyt, and we spend so much money to get nice shyt to set our cars apart and they start rusting, just gets me pissed off when i see it and when people say "damn is that rust?"..sorry just had to vent alittle bit...

Travis
Old 07-07-2006, 11:32 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Chad will be here to comment soon....just talked to him. The small 1/8" strip of oxydation is normal...just not on the hub area that is e-coated black (in my case....not sure about 1 peice rotors and how they look and where they are coated on the hub).
Old 07-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
i actually have the same problem. I have the Rotora BBK and its rusted around the hub part...i know its not supposed to do that because it comes supposedly plated. But i too would like to know of a way to treat this beside spray painting because spraying it will be rough right? I want it smooth as possible...this is mine

Yes this is abnormal for this to happen on the hub. ROTORA e-coats the hub black so there is no corrosion. Unfortunately something is defective with your e-coating, whether something was applied that took off the coating or it was done incorrectly from the factory. You shoudl contact who you bought them from or contact ROTORA to have them fix that b/c that would be under warranty if it is within one year I believe.

Again oxidation will occur on your rotors, OEM or not. Ever wash your car and have a light brown coat on your rotor? That is oxidation and it will stay wherever the pad does not make contact. As you can see from the original poster and others who chimed in oxidation occurs on all rotors. What should not occur is rust on the hub. That is a different story. Acuracy since you said you were out of teh warranty period you need to take the rotor off, sand down the spot painted black and re-coat it or have it jet coated or powdercoated with high temp stuff. Again, oxidation is normal, rust on the hub is not. Oxidation will occur when water/condensation makes contact with your rotor and then that will obviously disappear when the pad makes contact.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Yes this is abnormal for this to happen on the hub. ROTORA e-coats the hub black so there is no corrosion. Unfortunately something is defective with your e-coating, whether something was applied that took off the coating or it was done incorrectly from the factory. You shoudl contact who you bought them from or contact ROTORA to have them fix that b/c that would be under warranty if it is within one year I believe.
yea excelerate...its over a year...do u sell brembo and stoptech BBK?
Old 07-07-2006, 04:19 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

damn Mike ur rotors have rust already...damn that sucks...looks like im done with rotora...mite try stoptech or brembo...ive never had this problem with my stoptech or brembo kits that i had on my other cars....im not sure if they have a 14 inch rotor though...i mean this is a little problem that makes the wheel and brakes look like shyt, and we spend so much money to get nice shyt to set our cars apart and they start rusting, just gets me pissed off when i see it and when people say "damn is that rust?"..sorry just had to vent alittle bit...

Travis
Well, no, not like you are describing. All I am seeing is the typical 1/8" ring right where your pads never touch the rotor - BUT BEFORE THE HUB...which is in fact...normal. My hub is shiney back with serial numbers on em....still perfect!
Old 07-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
yea excelerate...its over a year...do u sell brembo and stoptech BBK?
I do sell Brembo and Stoptech. PM me wiht your info and what you're looking for. I still would recommend ROTORA to you. It's just a better bang for the buck. What happened to your hub is a typical. I have never seen that before on one of their hubs.