New HT-SPEC chassis bracing set for '04-'08 TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 03:16 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
New HT-SPEC chassis bracing set for '04-'08 TL

I found these new braces for our 04-08 TL. There are two 4-point braces, tie bars, and subframe connectors. listed $510 on heeltoe auto. Anyone have them yet? http://www.heeltoeauto.com/HT-Spec-C...-pr-65463.html
Old 07-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
There's a large thread started by heeltoe on these.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Pro

thread

Originally Posted by I hate cars
There's a large thread started by heeltoe on these.
cant find that thread
Old 07-15-2010, 09:01 AM
tlwith2carseats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got my kit in....tryin to find time to install. i know there is alot of conflit of opinion about bolt in subframe conections, so i decided to just buy em and check em out. i like the acura tl, but the handling characteristics are not the best...i know it will never handle like my awd 3 series (which isn't the best, but is fuckin awesome on the mountain roads by my house) but there should be room for improvement. i'm a single father, so time is hard to come by, but if i get it installed, i'll let you know what i think.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by njtl06
I just got my kit in....tryin to find time to install. i know there is alot of conflit of opinion about bolt in subframe conections, so i decided to just buy em and check em out. i like the acura tl, but the handling characteristics are not the best...i know it will never handle like my awd 3 series (which isn't the best, but is fuckin awesome on the mountain roads by my house) but there should be room for improvement. i'm a single father, so time is hard to come by, but if i get it installed, i'll let you know what i think.
awesome i appreciate it man id love to see if its worth the 600 dollars lol. i want my car to ride on rails since i like to take corners fast
Old 07-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I have the kit on my TSX and love it....so glad you all won't need to take my word for it though
Old 07-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
I have the kit on my TSX and love it....so glad you all won't need to take my word for it though
lol i bet it will make a huge difference.. but the only thing i worry about is bottoming out on the bars. my car is slammed and my jpipe already scrapes the speedbumps goin super slow
Old 07-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Former Sponsor

The side bars don't hang low at all. They don't sit any lower the exhaust does really. The J-pipe is really susceptible because it is near the front axle, even in front a little.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:49 PM
v 4910shp/19,600ft-lb v

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much does the HT-Spec set weigh? I.e. how much extra weight will it add to my car?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:55 AM
tlwith2carseats

so far installed the front and rear conections, just not the sides cause it was like 11 p.m. and i was tired, but so far pretty easy, and like mr. heeltoe said, not really that low, but car is still in the air. if i get time 2night i wanna finish it up and give it a test. and as for weight, if i remember correctly, the shipping weight of the entire package was 38lbs.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kjelly
How much does the HT-Spec set weigh? I.e. how much extra weight will it add to my car?

The basic brace package with the side sills, rear brace, and front lower arm bar weighs about 25-30 lbs, give or take. It isn't horrific, but it isn't anything. You'll see the car feel more communicative more than any decrease in performance, especially since the added weight is so low to the ground.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor

so far installed the front and rear conections, just not the sides cause it was like 11 p.m. and i was tired, but so far pretty easy, and like mr. heeltoe said, not really that low, but car is still in the air. if i get time 2night i wanna finish it up and give it a test. and as for weight, if i remember correctly, the shipping weight of the entire package was 38lbs.

The side sills can be a bit tricky because the hardware is designed to work on holes that are not threaded. It might help to use a jack-stand to support the brace at one end as you bolt in the other end. You'll get it, but you will wish you had another arm or two.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:37 PM
tlwith2carseats

ok...started raining so i didn't do sill's (^thanks for the advise^), but i just test drove car with front and rear braces from ht-spec kit...

****i do not claim to be an expert on anything related to cars. i know alot, but there is always someone who is going to know more than me. but a brief history on me:

i used to drive proffesionaly (a.k.a. they paid me) for a company that was local (ima just not say the name of the shop cause it's really of no importance) i raced for them for 2 seasons before my child was born in an amateur "nas-truck" (basically a pick-up that was set up like a nascar. while it was amateur, i drove all over - maryland, south carolina, pennsy. it was really just a hobby and a way to promote the shop.

i buit my own chassis for my 1927 ford. got two frame rails and started welding till i had a car. owned the car for about 5-6 years or so with no issues. so i know a little bit about suspensions.

that being said...so far...best purchase i made for the tl. without a doubt. everything about the suspension so far has been improved. i havn't pushed it to the max yet cause it was raining , but while the change is subtle, it's amazing (if that makes sense.) and best part of all...for some reason i do not know why...exhaust sounds better... seriously have no clue why, but it does.

i snapped a couple pics, will try and put em up 2marrow. if you wanna know more, just let me know, but i am seriously impressed with this kit..
Old 07-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Team Owner

ok...started raining so i didn't do sill's (^thanks for the advise^), but i just test drove car with front and rear braces from ht-spec kit...

****i do not claim to be an expert on anything related to cars. i know alot, but there is always someone who is going to know more than me. but a brief history on me:

i used to drive proffesionaly (a.k.a. they paid me) for a company that was local (ima just not say the name of the shop cause it's really of no importance) i raced for them for 2 seasons before my child was born in an amateur "nas-truck" (basically a pick-up that was set up like a nascar. while it was amateur, i drove all over - maryland, south carolina, pennsy. it was really just a hobby and a way to promote the shop.

i buit my own chassis for my 1927 ford. got two frame rails and started welding till i had a car. owned the car for about 5-6 years or so with no issues. so i know a little bit about suspensions.

that being said...so far...best purchase i made for the tl. without a doubt. everything about the suspension so far has been improved. i havn't pushed it to the max yet cause it was raining , but while the change is subtle, it's amazing (if that makes sense.) and best part of all...for some reason i do not know why...exhaust sounds better... seriously have no clue why, but it does.

i snapped a couple pics, will try and put em up 2marrow. if you wanna know more, just let me know, but i am seriously impressed with this kit..
That's why I mentioned the exhaust in an earlier bracing thread. I've seriously reduced exhaust drone from adding a brace across the rear frame rails. It seems to change the resonant frequency of the body.

How does it feel over bumps? Any change in rattles? I have a feeling the ride over bumps will be the biggest change.

Thanks for the review.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:49 PM
B A N N E D

I wonder what Stage 1 and bracing set would sound like....lol
Old 07-19-2010, 09:51 PM
v 4910shp/19,600ft-lb v

njtl06, thank you for the review. Would certainly like to see those pics you took. Probably will be my next big purchase...
Old 07-19-2010, 10:38 PM
tlwith2carseats

damn, "i hate cars"..you are good. so far, the biggest improvement was over the bumps. one thing i never liked about the tl was the way it had almost bump steer. like on certain turns, hitting a bump would cause the front end to hop to the left or right. seems to have solved the issue, but just general bumps in the road seem less drastic as before, almost like takin air out of over inflated tires is the best way to describe it. i would think that the sill bracing would do more for the rattles, but i dynomated all the week spots in my door panels and center console, so i have very little rattle to begin with. change in the exhaust sound for me seems to be coming more in the area of the j-pipe.

i am not trying to make a race car, or track car...i already have/had those. just want a fun daily driver that is safe and comfy when my daughter is in the car, and then a blast to drive when she is out of the car.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Former Sponsor

The sill bracing is a huge improvement when transitioning over spans and larger bumps. You'll feel them the second you exit your driveway.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Former Sponsor

FYI we sent out more detailed info on the HT-Spec brace packages in our email newsletter today.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 PM
v 4910shp/19,600ft-lb v

njtl06, have you noticed any fishtailing or the rear end "slipping" to the side under moderate to slightly heavy braking after installing the full set?

I have the full HT-spec set and noticed this a few times after the past few weeks. I thought it may be old tires, but I just got 4 new Cont. DWS's along with a front-end alignment.

Thanks.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:29 AM
2004 NBP TL 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
njtl06, have you noticed any fishtailing or the rear end "slipping" to the side under moderate to slightly heavy braking after installing the full set?

I have the full HT-spec set and noticed this a few times after the past few weeks. I thought it may be old tires, but I just got 4 new Cont. DWS's along with a front-end alignment.

Thanks.
One vehicle side of brakes binding? Have you verified brakes working properly, cleaned and greased appropriately?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks.

You need to put more information...what brakes and suspension are you using? Have a rear sway bar? What are your alignment settings?

All these are potential reasons for instability during braking. Anything that was happening on the car before you put bracing on is amplified when you brace it. So this could be something that was happening low level before you just didn't notice it maybe.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:07 PM
v 4910shp/19,600ft-lb v

Stock brakes and stock suspension. I'm going to have my brakes checked out this weekend (straight line braking, the car's front end will "dive" right, and the rear will go left.

CT Sway bar and I'm assuming stock spec front-end alignment for the tire place.

Certainly appreciate all of the help!
Old 10-15-2010, 04:51 AM
Racer

Stock brakes and stock suspension.

lol
Old 10-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Stock brakes and stock suspension. I'm going to have my brakes checked out this weekend (straight line braking, the car's front end will "dive" right, and the rear will go left.

If all is stock that could be part of the problem there. Neither the stock brakes or suspension are very confidence inspiring because of their realtively un-sporting design.

I would tend to think this could really be a tire issue as well. If those are stock they are obviously un-sporting and very nervous. Are they stock tires also? Even if they are not it could be an inflation issue or a defective tire. Swap tire left and right if theyu are non-directional, or front to back if they are, to see if there is any effect.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Team Owner

You probably have a worn/blown out shock. Next time you brake hard, get up some good speed and then ease into the brakes slowly until you're stopping hard and see if it still does this.

I suggest waiting to install the rear swaybar until you get this fixed. The bar will likely mask the real problem and make it harder to find.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:15 PM
v 4910shp/19,600ft-lb v

Ok, for the follow-up. It appears I should stay at the my current job and not become a mechanic.

Evidently, the rear brace was not tightened enough and therefore the rear suspension became loose over time (just a few hundred miles). So, my mechanic ended up re-torquing everything and did a 4-wheel alignment. Car drives perfect now and the turns have become fun again...
Old 10-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Whew!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Ah, hamburgers!

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry to bring the thread from the ruins but is this the kit you guys are referring to?

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/ht-spec-c...s-ua6-ua7.html
Old 08-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggad369
Sorry to bring the thread from the ruins but is this the kit you guys are referring to?

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/ht-spec-c...s-ua6-ua7.html
Yes it is
Old 08-07-2012, 03:21 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
sub'd
Old 08-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Ah, hamburgers!

For the folks who have utilized this entire kit, which one component out of the three do you guys recommend as the first step towards chassis stiffening?

I can only afford to do one at a time plus the kit isn't that much less expensive than buying the three separate.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Ah, hamburgers!

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
The side sills can be a bit tricky because the hardware is designed to work on holes that are not threaded. It might help to use a jack-stand to support the brace at one end as you bolt in the other end. You'll get it, but you will wish you had another arm or two.
What did you torque your bolts to on the side bars?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Ah, hamburgers!

For anyone who cares, I have installed the front and side sill braces so far (can't wait for the rear brace) and I wholeheartedly agree with njtl06. The effect is just so damn amazing.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:05 AM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
I am intrigued. I'd like to hear more about it from people with lowered cars. My car was slammed, and I'm hoping to get it back to that Lowness but also wouldn't mind adding a little bracing to improve the handling as long as i won't drag these exiting a driveway or something.

In comparison to the exhaust/front subframe, how much lower do these braces sit? anyone have pictures?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:14 AM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
Does anyone know if the fender braces from the Accord Euro (TSX) fit the TL also? Just curious if it would be worthwhile on a TL too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RACING-3-POINT-FENDER-BAR-SUPPORT-BRACE-FOR-02-07-HONDA-ACCORD-EURO-R-CL7-/190662461705?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AAccord&hash=item2c645e4909&vxp=mtr
I found all 4 pieces on eBay (fender braces, side, front, and rear) and it works out under 700 with free shipping and most of the sellers have a or best offer kinda thing so probably a few bucks off.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:54 AM
blah!

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
that is some hardcore bracing. Any more photos of it? Id be worried about scraping everywhere. Anyone know if the rear brace would clear the RV6 exhaust?