Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:30 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
New Consumer Reports Ultra High Performance A/S Tire Ratings

From their November 2010 issue.

[√] - Recommended

Last edited by DMZ; 10-10-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
From my experience with the BFG G-force that they tested, I don't see how the tread life or road noise is acceptable. I'll get maybe 30k miles out of them with frequent rotations and they are louder than any high performance all-season than I've ever experienced. The previous tires I was running on my TL were those same P Zero Neros that took the top spot and they were significantly quieter all the way up to the end of their tread-life.
My guess is I somehow got a bad set?
Old 10-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Holy cow! This is great. Thanks for the post, we were debating if the Mich A/S Plus were worth the price. But we are too cheap to pay for CR.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:54 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Holy cow! This is great. Thanks for the post, we were debating if the Mich A/S Plus were worth the price. But we are too cheap to pay for CR.

Additional infor for your search: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

(If you need it. )
Old 10-10-2010, 01:22 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Danronian
The previous tires I was running on my TL were those same P Zero Neros that took the top spot and they were significantly quieter all the way up to the end of their tread-life.
That's a distinct possibility. My previous set of Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S's were much quieter than my current one. Obviously, their manufacturing quality dropped as time went on and they're now out of production.

How come you didn't get the P Zeros again?
Old 10-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Danronian
From my experience with the BFG G-force that they tested, I don't see how the tread life or road noise is acceptable. I'll get maybe 30k miles out of them with frequent rotations and they are louder than any high performance all-season than I've ever experienced. The previous tires I was running on my TL were those same P Zero Neros that took the top spot and they were significantly quieter all the way up to the end of their tread-life.
I agree with this statement. BF Goodrich Super Sport A/S is noisy and wet traction is not that good for the category compared to say the 960's, Eagle GT, or DWS.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
I've had PZero Neros in the distant past (a few years ago on this car) and I am currently nearing the end of the line on my Pilot A/S (the model before the Plus model came out). I'd buy either one again. I'd also buy the Bridgestone RE960's again as they were also great tires. The original tires I had on here, I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole (EL42's? I forget) wore down too quickly, no traction, noisy, etc. and I also wouldn't get Falken Ziex 512's because they basically were worn out after a pitiful 17-20,000 miles.

I'm intrigued by the Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires because of all the great reviews, but the negatives I hear about cornering have me second-guessing them. But at that price, they're still in the running with the Pilot Pluses for my next set of tires.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Pro

Yep, the Falken Ziex 512 only lasted 15-20k for me too, it was throwing money out the door that POS. F$$$ Falkens.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Hmmm....I'm a CR subscriber (online version) and I read the whole review. I am baffled as how they came up with a "fair" rating for the DWS when it has a UTOG of 540 and a treadlife warranty of 50K miles...

I searched around for their testing methodology and procedures, but could find none. DMZ, am I missing it?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Hmmm....I'm a CR subscriber (online version) and I read the whole review. I am baffled as how they came up with a "fair" rating for the DWS when it has a UTOG of 540 and a treadlife warranty of 50K miles...

I searched around for their testing methodology and procedures, but could find none. DMZ, am I missing it?
Consumer reports test criteria is bias in the fact that they factor in price to their overall rating, so an awesome tire as far as traction/handling may be rated low overall because of the price alone. Look at tirerack.com under Tests and Survey results for more performance based reviews conducted by professional drivers and rated by real tire owners.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by binhsterbinh
Consumer reports test criteria is bias in the fact that they factor in price to their overall rating, so an awesome tire as far as traction/handling may be rated low overall because of the price alone. Look at tirerack.com under Tests and Survey results for more performance based reviews conducted by professional drivers and rated by real tire owners.
Proof?
Old 10-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Racer

Proof?
A quick look at the results - I see two Sumitomo tires rated in the top 5. The HTR PO1 A/S aren't even rated in the Ultra High Performance A/S Category. They're High Performance A/S tires, so why are we comparing 2 tires from different categories? Also, how the heck are they doing better than tires in the ultra higher performance category.

I've used RE960's, g-force Super Sport A/S, Eagle F1 A/S, and Eagle GT A/S. There's no way the g-force Super Sport A/S has any chance against any of the other tires I've tested in 'Wet Braking' and 'Wet Handling'. In the rain the g-force Super Sport A/S loses traction when I need it most when turning onto and accelerating onto a highway. I also have to slow way down around corners to avoid understeering off the road. The F1 A/S, Eagle GT, RE960 have never exhibited those attributes. The only time I break traction in the rain is when I'm trying to or when I'm starting on a steep grade. Furthermore, can someone explain how the RE960's are rated 8th on the list considering they're still regarded as one of the best Ultra High Performance A/S on the market next to the Michellin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and the Continental DWS? Also, how are they rating the treadwear? Did they drive through a whole set over a span of time and then give a rating or did they measure the tread depth after doing a series of cornering and braking tests around some cones?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

Last edited by binhsterbinh; 10-14-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Race Director

Proof?
Originally Posted by binhsterbinh
A quick look at the results - I see two Sumitomo tires rated in the top 5. The HTR PO1 A/S aren't even rated in the Ultra High Performance A/S Category. They're High Performance A/S tires, so why are we comparing 2 tires from different categories? Also, how the heck are they doing better than tires in the ultra higher performance category.

I've used RE960's, g-force Super Sport A/S, Eagle F1 A/S, and Eagle GT A/S. There's no way the g-force Super Sport A/S has any chance against any of the other tires I've tested in 'Wet Braking' and 'Wet Handling'. In the rain the g-force Super Sport A/S loses traction when I need it most when turning onto and accelerating onto a highway. I also have to slow way down around corners to avoid understeering off the road. The F1 A/S, Eagle GT, RE960 have never exhibited those attributes. The only time I break traction in the rain is when I'm trying to or when I'm starting on a steep grade. Furthermore, can someone explain how the RE960's are rated 8th on the list considering they're still regarded as one of the best Ultra High Performance A/S on the market next to the Michellin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and the Continental DWS? Also, how are they rating the treadwear? Did they drive through a whole set over a span of time and then give a rating or did they measure the tread depth after doing a series of cornering and braking tests around some cones?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS
My friend, you seem to have "speculation" and "proof" confused....
Old 10-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Racer

My friend, you seem to have "speculation" and "proof" confused....
I would call it personal opinion based on my user experience. After all, isn't this a forum where people discuss things? Call me bias against Consumer Reports. I just find it ridiculous that millions of people make their purchase decisions solely based on reading a Consumer Reports article. I remember one year, they told people they would not recommend the FJ Cruiser because of poor visibility and on road handling. The FJ is built for off roading - of course 10" ground clearance, large all terrain tires and a flexible independent suspension is going to sway when pushed to the limit on pavement.

To answer the question of how they conducted their tests, take a look at this video -

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...om-dollar.html

Test was conducted by a couple 'Consumer Report Auto Test Division Engineers'. While I agree that they're qualified, I will have to disagree(opinion of course) because their overall reviews/ratings are taylored for the average non-car enthusiast customer who don't know whether their cars are FWD or RWD.

Last edited by binhsterbinh; 10-14-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
How come you didn't get the P Zeros again?
I went with the BFGs since the price was a lot better and I read some good reviews at the time I was looking around (about a year ago). I just got rid of them since they were almost worn out, had bumps on them, and were very noisy for my hour-long daily drive.

I just had the Conti DWS installed tonight. Already they're quieter. I'm going to get my alignment checked soon (it has been about 30k miles/1 year since my last one) and hopefully that will help them stay quiet and last long.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought a set of the Falken 912's. They have about 5K on them, and have been great so far... Hopefully they won't get to loud as time goes on... Paid $115 for them, so not too shabby.

I wanted the Conti DWS, but they were sold out everywhere back in July...
Old 10-15-2010, 09:20 AM
My TL can do this, too!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got a set of Potenza A/S 960s. They replaced the Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S set I had. The Potenzas are much quieter. My kids tell me they miss my old tires, because they sounded like this: