New Consumer Reports All Season Tire Ratings - From The 11/05 Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 11:37 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
New Consumer Reports All Season Tire Ratings - From The 11/05 Issue

Unfortunately, the top rated Goodyear Assurance is not available in our size, at least not yet.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 10-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Good stuff.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
not even available in a speed rating higher than H (135mph)...
Old 10-15-2005, 01:58 PM
6MT & LSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey3c
not even available in a speed rating higher than H (135mph)...
"Best Value" tires.

None of these tires belong on the TL... you can spend 125~/tire for Toyo Proxes 4 or 145~/tire for Pzero Nero MS.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
It would be an injustice to put any of those tires on a car with sporting pretensions, not just the TL.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
As I said in the other thread about this https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/onkyo-receivers-any-good-124058/ none of these tires apply to the TL so the report is of little use to us.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:27 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Not for nothing folks, but why would anyone one who owns such a great automobile compromise by buying another set of all season tires????? I can honestly see running the tires for awhile till inclement weather season approaches, or if you have mild winters, run the present all seasons then get yourself a respectable high perf summer tire to enjoy the warm season with. All season tires are nothing more than a compromise, at least for those who receive more than a dusting in winter, or really want to enjoy his/her TL in the summer months. Just MHO.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Don't Be Cheap..Its your Life

There are two items on a car I would not be cheap on...Brakes and Tires.

Why go cheap ...Just get the safest and and the best...do not forget, your life and your family's is dependent on it...
Old 10-16-2005, 08:02 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Neorick
There are two items on a car I would not be cheap on...Brakes and Tires.

Why go cheap ...Just get the safest and and the best...do not forget, your life and your family's is dependent on it...
Yes, but more expensive isn't always better. For example Michelin is typically higher than many other comparable or even better tires. Some cheap tires are even made by "good" brands. To me, the problem is inappropriate tires for the application.
As in:
- I had a nickel for every time a co-worker argued with me about tires and why they can't just put on cheap-all seasons.
- And a dime for every time after they put cheap all-season tires on there cars in New England and proclaim how crappy a <fill in the car> is in the snow.
- And a quarter for all the assholes running HP summer tires in the snow in CT
- And, the clincher, a dollar for all the times they want 50Kmi out of V rated treads.

I would be a rich man in-deed.
The biggest problem I see is people regularly greatly overpaying for tires because they don't research the prices.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:51 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by joed40
Not for nothing folks, but why would anyone one who owns such a great automobile compromise by buying another set of all season tires????? I can honestly see running the tires for awhile till inclement weather season approaches, or if you have mild winters, run the present all seasons then get yourself a respectable high perf summer tire to enjoy the warm season with. All season tires are nothing more than a compromise, at least for those who receive more than a dusting in winter, or really want to enjoy his/her TL in the summer months. Just MHO.
Theoretically you're right.
However, there are those of us who live in apartments with no place to store a 2nd set of tires.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by joed40
I politely disagree with your premise in regard to all-season tires being out of place on the TL. The TL, as nice as it is, IS a compromise, too. It doesn't pretend to be an all out sports car. It aspires to by a near-luxury performance oriented car. It's got one heck of an engine, a very good chassis, very good brakes, and a pretty good suspension; not to mention the luxury side of the equation. I would guess that a very large majority of 3rd gen TL owners wouldn't even know how to throw their car in to a turn anywhere near it's limits, much less be willing to live with summer tire treadlife in the 10 or 15,000 mile range. WIth the exception of extreme emergency manuevers, I doubt that most TL drivers would ever see the benefits of a true high performance summer tire.

That being said, high performance summer tires are awesome and will likely improve handling, braking and traction significantly. But the TL isn't a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo or a Subaru WRX STi. It's a car that probably ferries far more MILFs to Starbucks than GEN Y's to the autocross course.

Heck, if you're up for it, by all means go with the summer tires. In the end your car will perform better than mine. Personally, I feel the Michelin Pilot A/S, Pirelli Nero Zero or the Toyo Proxes 4(*) take the TL as far in the performance direction I'm willing to go considering cost, tire life, ride quality and the need to swap out the tires in the winter.

* I've had 3 sets of tires on an '02 Civic Si; the stock Michelins MXV4s, Bridgestone S03s and the Toyo Proxes 4s. The Michelins sucked. The Bridgestones were unbelievably fun in warm/hot weather and even the rain, but they lasted all of 15,000 miles. The Toyo Proxes 4s are still a lot of fun after 20,000 miles with at least half the treadlife left. The car is my daughters ever since I bought the TL last February. Even so, I take the Si out to drive just because it is so much fun to toss around.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
Bobz

Originally Posted by ChuckDu
I politely disagree with your premise in regard to all-season tires being out of place on the TL. The TL, as nice as it is, IS a compromise, too. It doesn't pretend to be an all out sports car. It aspires to by a near-luxury performance oriented car. It's got one heck of an engine, a very good chassis, very good brakes, and a pretty good suspension; not to mention the luxury side of the equation. I would guess that a very large majority of 3rd gen TL owners wouldn't even know how to throw their car in to a turn anywhere near it's limits, much less be willing to live with summer tire treadlife in the 10 or 15,000 mile range. WIth the exception of extreme emergency manuevers, I doubt that most TL drivers would ever see the benefits of a true high performance summer tire.

That being said, high performance summer tires are awesome and will likely improve handling, braking and traction significantly. But the TL isn't a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo or a Subaru WRX STi. It's a car that probably ferries far more MILFs to Starbucks than GEN Y's to the autocross course.

Heck, if you're up for it, by all means go with the summer tires. In the end your car will perform better than mine. Personally, I feel the Michelin Pilot A/S, Pirelli Nero Zero or the Toyo Proxes 4(*) take the TL as far in the performance direction I'm willing to go considering cost, tire life, ride quality and the need to swap out the tires in the winter.

* I've had 3 sets of tires on an '02 Civic Si; the stock Michelins MXV4s, Bridgestone S03s and the Toyo Proxes 4s. The Michelins sucked. The Bridgestones were unbelievably fun in warm/hot weather and even the rain, but they lasted all of 15,000 miles. The Toyo Proxes 4s are still a lot of fun after 20,000 miles with at least half the treadlife left. The car is my daughters ever since I bought the TL last February. Even so, I take the Si out to drive just because it is so much fun to toss around.
How about the BF Goodrich G Force Sport tire. These are high performance and a good buy at Costco. They supposedly last twice as long as the Potenza's and handle almost as well for half the cost.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Bobzmcishl
How about the BF Goodrich G Force Sport tire. These are high performance and a good buy at Costco. They supposedly last twice as long as the Potenza's and handle almost as well for half the cost.
Here's a comparison test done by TIRE RACK on the g Force Sports.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:03 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
However, there are those of us who live in apartments with no place to store a 2nd set of tires.
Sorry but the reason of not having a place to store the 2nd set of tires is kind of poor.

If you search around, most tire dealers are offering storage for the 2nd set for really cheap ($40 to $50 per year).

And now or some humour...

What would you say to St.Peters on the way to paradise after a nasty winter accident because of your 4 season tires. Be careful of what you say, St. Peters might redirect you down!.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:43 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What if you pretty much have a even climate year round and dont run into much snow like a tropical climate were in the winter it just gets cold?
Old 10-26-2005, 11:59 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Originally Posted by RJANACONDA
What if you pretty much have a even climate year round and dont run into much snow like a tropical climate were in the winter it just gets cold?
If you got the bucks what I would do is rely on the all seasons during the winter and get a good pair of summer treads, I'll be purchasing the Goodyear F1 GS-D3's, seem like a great tire. But in the end you have to live with your choices, good luck!
Old 10-26-2005, 12:06 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Originally Posted by DMZ
Sorry should've read the previous posts before. Theoretically!!???? This isn't a theory, it is proven, now if you don't have space, that's another factor to be concerned about. But all seasons ARE a compromise, no debate about it but once again it is your choice and your bucks, and ultimately your driving experience.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:18 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Originally Posted by ChuckDu

Darn should've read this one too, sorry. With respect to your statement, the 911S is also a compromise in that it is not a winter auto. I still know that placing high perf Summer tires on your TL will make the driving experience more enjoyable. Agreed, most TL owners won't appreciate the tires and never bought their car to push it to it's limit, but judging from their population here on this forum, I'm guessing most appreciate the car for what it is. It is a car developed to go against the 3 class and other sports/luxury cars. So once again, they ARE a compromise, if you got the bucks enjoy the two sets of rubber, if not this doesn't make you a bad person, just a little less exciting.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i had no idea selection of a set of tieres would be so complcated i just thought all you need is size, speed and wieght rateing i thought that would narrow it down to the point were the only real choice that was left would be price and brand...
Old 10-31-2005, 08:18 AM
Team Anthracite Member

The Good Year Assurance tire has some fugly looking tread on them.