Does the Load Index indicate how stiff the ride will be?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 07:17 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Does the Load Index indicate how stiff the ride will be?

Does anyone out there with some knowledge about how to predict how stiff the ride of a tire will be based on the tire specifications?

My tire dealer told me that the all the “low profile” tires had a stiff ride and how stiff it was is determined by the “load index”. I think was he said was B.S. and that the stiffness of the ride is at least somewhat determined by the “Performance Category”

I am looking for a replacement for my Pirelli PZero Nero M&S that will provide a less stiff ride. (No flames please – my wife is complaining). I thought by going from an Ultra High Performance Tire to a High Performance Tire I could trade a little handling capability for a softer ride.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 10-31-2005, 11:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jime,

I think the lower profile tires will naturally ride stiff by virtue of the fact that there is less sidewall. I don't have any evidence either confirming or denying your dealers claims but I am sceptical. I think the ride comes down to the individual tire. I used to have Dunlop SP Sport 5000s on my 97 Camry V6 with Eibach springs and those tires rode softer but still gripped very well. Neuronbob here also had a similar experience. And the Dunlops were Ultra High Performance All Seasons also. I think downgrading one step will mean less at the limit grip and less expense. Perhaps lowering the tire pressure a pound or 2 may make a difference in your current situation.

dsc888