Neuspeed Super Cup - What's wrong with the springs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Neuspeed Super Cup - What's wrong with the springs?

Ok, I have been bouncing back and forth on suspension setups for the past 4 months. I want a 1" inch drop, tighter around the corners but still a comfortable dd setup (I won't track my car).

I figured the aspec isn't enough drop, so I came to the Koni Yellows / Pro Kit setup. Then I read about this Super Cup deal. These Koni's have 5 perches instead of 3, and come WITH springs for a great price. The problem is the springs are more of a drop then my locals roads can handle. I believe they are around 1.4 inches.

So anyways, can the perches be "raised" to compensate for the bigger drop the neuspeed springs give you? It sure doesn't make sense to buy the kit AND pro kit springs...$200 saved is $200 saved you know?

Thoughts? How does the neuspeeds ride compared to the eibachs?

Edit: Yes, I know, I can always sell the neuspeeds later...
Old 05-20-2009, 12:19 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
i havent driven/ride in a 3G w/ eibachs but im sure the quality is comparable. i would say get the kit and set the perch to the 4th or 5th perch from the bottom as those 2 and ONLY those to perches will raise the height of the car .25-.5 inches i believe. i had pics of the install i did on perch 3 (middle perch) front and rear. serch my name and you should find the pics associate with it. hope this helps ur decision.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Hey there! I have a number of comments based on your post there. Don't think I am picking it apart but there are a lot of points I can touch on here:

Originally Posted by Maharajamd
I want a 1" inch drop, tighter around the corners but still a comfortable dd setup (I won't track my car).
A 1" drop is really very mild. Usually lowering more will induce a firmer and mroe sports ride, but with this drop I'd be hard pressed to think you will ruin the ride even in the slightest bit.

As an aside, I find it completely interesting how people on these forums are so nervous about mentioning they want to firm up the ride of their cars that they will ALWAYS add that footnote about not tracking the car at all. I think the percentage of folks here who actually do track their TLs is so low that this point should almost go without saying! In my years here I hear the same thing time and time again as far as what people do and don't want from their TL sus that my end comment really ends up being "I don't believe anyone actually makes a track suspension for your car." You'd be safe on the ride with nearly every option available to you!

The problem [with the cup kit] is the springs are more of a drop then my locals roads can handle. I believe they are around 1.4 inches.
I would have to differ with you a little. I don't think the drop alone is really going to cause an issue for you. even lowering at 1.7-1.8" with the Tein kits we see the 3G TL maintain quite a lot of ground clearance. With the either the Tein coilovers or the Cup Kit, the shocks provide a greater amount of suspension travel as well, making it perfectly reasonable on ride even at the 1.5" drop height which I still only consider a moderate lowering. True, I am in California and we have less potholes, we also get little-to-no road maintenance and the streets ride really quite bad here. We also have majorly steep driveways and dips. I'd argue that a 1.5" drop is manageable on most all roads in this car.

So anyways, can the perches be "raised" to compensate for the bigger drop the neuspeed springs give you?
Absolutely it can, and you could probably achieve the height you really want by doing so.

How does the neuspeeds ride compared to the eibachs?
I would say fairly similarly. But the bigger component of your ride is going to come from the shocks. The koni shocks will allow you to tune the valving to the springs you have. The firmness of the spring is much less a dictator of ride and handling that is the match between damper and spring. This is actually a reason we suggest Tein coilovers a lot. The match is done right out of the box. With the konis it is certainly possible to set them too soft or firm for your springs (whatever they might be) and cause ride and handling issues.

Psst: http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Neuspeed-...-pr-64832.html