Need help!! Rear tire problems..

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012 | 09:44 PM
Cruisin'

Unhappy Need help!! Rear tire problems..

I have ksport full adj. coilovers and a camber kit install with a 4 wheel alignment but my rear end feels like it wanna shift left and right every time i hit a bump and i cam see my rear tires is starting to have some wear.. Do i need a swaybar to eliminate the rear end wobble? Anyone else have this problem?
Old 06-29-2012 | 05:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Wear is not a good indicator of proper alignment settings, so how about posting the final readings.

As far as the rear jumping out, not certain as to the tires or air pressures, or the shock/spring rate, but if the combo is too strong to absorb the shock of imperfections in the road and therefore won't compress, with the light rear end the vehicle can become "airborne" when striking bumps in the road and then jump left or right.

My son in law has a Hemi Grand Cherokee and contrary to my thoughts, decided to put Michelin 265/65/17 tires on the 5,000 lb vehicle, way too big, entirely too beefy for this size SUV, so when the Jeep hits a bump in the road, especially a transition from one surface to another that runs across the entire surface of the road and may be slightly raised, the rear end of the Jeep will jump left or right as the stiff tires don't absorb any of the shock and the rear becomes light enough to have the vehicle move left or right. Great feeling when driving the SUV.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012 | 03:15 PM
Cruisin'

It cant be my tires because i had my stock wheels on and ot still did the same thing.. And i had on some skunk 2 lowering spring and it still did the same thing so now i have on my 19" wheels and full adj. coilover thought it was gonna go away but nope still doing it.. Im a honda tech so i did my own alignment.. It was perfect.. So i had no other choice but to order me a swaybar..
Old 06-29-2012 | 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BILLYZz559
Im a honda tech so i did my own alignment.. It was perfect.. So i had no other choice but to order me a swaybar..
If the rear tires are showing uneven wear, I'd look in the mirror and give the Tech a piece of my mind. Why would the tires exhibit wear if the alignment were perfect?
Old 06-29-2012 | 05:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Turbonut
If the rear tires are showing uneven wear, I'd look in the mirror and give the Tech a piece of my mind. Why would the tires exhibit wear if the alignment were perfect?

Exactly... when it comes to these cars and lowering "within spec" isn't perfect. To me it sounds toed out.
Old 06-29-2012 | 07:05 PM
Cruisin'

Did my alignment again today and no tire wear so far drove it 10 mile with no rubber residue on my rear bumper so i know if it is or no.. but still getting that rear end wobble when hitting a bump.. Anyone else have this rear end wobble issue when car is lowered? It cant be my strut or spring had skunk 2 before no have ksport full coilovers and its still doing it...
Old 06-29-2012 | 07:40 PM
Drifting

Did my alignment again today and no tire wear so far drove it 10 mile with no rubber residue on my rear bumper so i know if it is or no.. but still getting that rear end wobble when hitting a bump.. Anyone else have this rear end wobble issue when car is lowered? It cant be my strut or spring had skunk 2 before no have ksport full coilovers and its still doing it...
?? How can you determine tire wear within 10 miles, based off of "rubber residue." Are bolts torqued down correctly? Do you hear any "clunk" or "bang" when you hit the bumps? Could be loose bolts, and an alignment would not discover that. Possible endlinks are gone, but then again your alignment tech should have seen that too when adjusting. Could also be that the nuts weren't tightened down on the endlinks after alignment....
Old 06-29-2012 | 07:48 PM
Race Director

not on topic but i see you're local.
Old 06-29-2012 | 11:06 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
?? How can you determine tire wear within 10 miles, based off of "rubber residue." Are bolts torqued down correctly? Do you hear any "clunk" or "bang" when you hit the bumps? Could be loose bolts, and an alignment would not discover that. Possible endlinks are gone, but then again your alignment tech should have seen that too when adjusting. Could also be that the nuts weren't tightened down on the endlinks after alignment....
Yes before i can see the residue within 1 mile.. And yes all the bolts are tight checked them myself.. But still have that sway from left to right when hitting bumps on the road.. Just wanna know if a swaybar would help that issue?
Old 06-29-2012 | 11:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes before i can see the residue within 1 mile.. And yes all the bolts are tight checked them myself.. But still have that sway from left to right when hitting bumps on the road.. Just wanna know if a swaybar would help that issue?
Why not post the alignment specs?
Old 06-30-2012 | 06:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Why not post the alignment specs?
Old 07-11-2012 | 01:49 AM
Advanced

Well i used to have same problem before got new tires did like 10000milles on them they were flat like no others so i install some camber lits got new tires did my alighment at the les schwab sems like i fix a problem no more wobble on the rear and tires seems not wear out after 5000 milles ..
Old 07-13-2012 | 09:31 PM
Burning Brakes

So youre saying with the alignment you had before, after driving one single mile, there was rubber "residue" inside the fender wells from your tires being ripped to shreds by the road? Im sorry but that is the most ridiculous thing Ive heard in a while. You need to get a real alignment done by someone with a real alignment rack, that will probably fix your problem and if not, at least give you an idea of where else to look