Need 2005 6MT rotors resurfaced in or near Fairfax, VA

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Need 2005 6MT rotors resurfaced in or near Fairfax, VA

I'm looking for a reputable place to have the front rotors on my 2005 6MT resurfaced on the vehicle in Northern Virginia, as near as possible to the Fair Lakes area of Fairfax, ZIP 22033, in preparation for an upcoming break pad install.

I know it's a simple job, but I'd appreciate recommendations of somewhere (or someone) who not only can resurface the rotors on the car, but will do a good and careful job.

Do I really need them resurfaced while still on the car? Reading around here I get the impression that this is desirable, but let me know if this isn't worth the effort.

If this isn't the place to ask, then please point me in the right direction.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I would just pull them and go to NAPA auto parts where they have a genuine machine shop= they do real stuff there and a proper job on rotors

Not jiffy 5 buck special turn and burn on your rotors
Old 07-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The dealership will generally turn/resurface the rotors on the vehicle. NAPA will also do it but you have to remove the rotors and bring them to the store.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Team Owner

Josh has a point-

I am just conditioned into thinking everyone has the tools time space and desire to dismantle their car at home- maybe it's just me
Old 07-17-2007, 03:51 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the rotors are in good condition...

...maybe you can get by without turning them at all. An important part of the rotor's job is to act as a heat sink -- to absorb the energy transformed into heat that the brakes generate. Turning the rotors makes them thinner and reduces the amount of material in their mass, thus making them less effective at absorbing heat and making them more likely to warp when they overheat.

I have had GREAT luck with just replacing pads for the first pad change, and then replacing pads and rotors (with new ones) at the second pad change. Using genuine Acura pads, I have had no warping, squeaking or problems of any kind. Then after two sets of pads, I just throw them away and start with new. The German car makers are now opposed to machining rotors in most cases. They just replace them. If your rotors aren't badly scored or warped, you can probably use them through another set of pads.

Personally I don't see the great advantage of machining rotors on the car unless you are an auto repair shop trying to save the five minutes it takes to take them off the car. Any competent auto machine shop can turn the rotors for you off the car if you decide to go that route, but at least consider just replacing the pads. If you don't like it, you can always pull the rotors later and machine them, but I'll bet you'll be happy and save yourself some time and trouble. Good luck with whatever you decide.

John
Old 07-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The ankle-grab special (but at least I got to watch)

I went to the local dealer, Pohanka Acura, where service advisor Tom Smith said he would ask about my unusual request to watch my two front rotors being turned.

After only waiting for about half an hour after my one o'clock appointment for the work to start and finding Tom to get a status update a couple of times, I was invited into the shop to see both rotors being turned on the vehicle with the mobile lathe, while the technician very kindly explained the process and answered all my questions.

Among the various thing I learned, the most useful was that it is normal for the inside pad (the one you can't see) to wear faster than the outside. Consequently, it is possible to think you have a bit of pad life left by observing the outside when in fact your inside pad has worn off completely.

This learning experience was, for me, quite valuable, which is good since I got the grab-your-ankles special: two rotors turned in twenty minutes for only $195.00.

Tom did offer a free state inspection, which I plan to use.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Team Owner

The 6mt cars need to have clean surface with new pads
That can be sandpapered or turned but needs to be done to prevent noise and
make the pads work their best

Brembo calipers push from both sides
Regular push from inside and will wear the inside pad faster
Old 08-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AJ_Z0
I'm looking for a reputable place to have the front rotors on my 2005 6MT resurfaced on the vehicle in Northern Virginia, as near as possible to the Fair Lakes area of Fairfax, ZIP 22033, in preparation for an upcoming break pad install.

I know it's a simple job, but I'd appreciate recommendations of somewhere (or someone) who not only can resurface the rotors on the car, but will do a good and careful job.

Do I really need them resurfaced while still on the car? Reading around here I get the impression that this is desirable, but let me know if this isn't worth the effort.

If this isn't the place to ask, then please point me in the right direction.
New rotors aren't much more expensive.

"Resurfacing" rotors removes material. That reduces rotor mass, which acts as the brake's heat sink. Reduced rotor mass will increase the likelihood of fade and future warping.

Furthermore, many people don't do the job right (remove excessive material and/or don't machine them flat).

The Tire Rack will sell you new, replacement style rotors for a very good price. Having rotors turned just isn't worth the small savings.