My Tien SS Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down My Tien SS Suspension

Hey Everybody,

I have been a member here for a while. I purchased Tien Super Street Coilovers about two years ago. Since then my front left Shock has gone bad and had to be replaced at the cost of $400 plus instalation for one. Now my rear right shock has gone bad and will have to be replaced. I have reached out to Tien but my suspension is out of warrenty and they have no sets in stock for 6-8 weeks to sell me a single. They said they "tried" to call dealers to see if they could make a deal to break down one of thier kits to sell me but no luck. I CANNOT drive my car with the shock completely broken any longer. It makes the worst noises and most likely is doing some kind of damage. Does anyone have a single they are willing to sell? I have a 06 Anthracite with Navi. Maybe even a sponcer who is willing to sell one or a set at cost or close to cost to help me out. I would appreciate any suggestions or help !! I am really upset that tien isnt doing more to resolve this problem
Old 01-06-2010, 05:37 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sorry to hear this.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:38 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Tein is very popular here, but there's a reason why I wouldn't go with them. Tein quality isn't up to par, in my book.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:38 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

I hope you get this resolved soon.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Cruisin'

Yeah I mean it was a great suspension...but I should not have had to pay for so many replacement this fast. Then to have them tell me that they CANT find another single shock to sell me for 8 weeks is just crazy..There has to be some dealer somewhere in the USA that has a set they can split up for me. There other suggestion was to put my stock suspension back on and send the tien suspension in, I cant do that. It would cost me more than a whole new set by the time I paid to take it off, mail it in, get it back and pay for the shipping and whatever new parts they charge me for. Plus the fact I cant go with out my car.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Intermediate

Sorry to hear that. TEIN is extremely overrated and overpriced when it comes to suspension. I do think that their higher line (SRC's and so forth) are good, but as far as SS, Basic, and CS, I think they're junk. I may (and possibly) be wrong, but I don't even know if you can revalve/rebuild SS's..

At this point, I think you might be better off looking into some Megans or Koni/Ground control set up. If you choose to continue to look for TEIN replacements, the best of luck to you. Check out eBay and hopefully there's something that you can use.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:56 AM
10th Gear

damn tein!
Old 01-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
TEIN's are rebuildable. You can send the damper in for rebuilt to either their West coast or East coast warehouse.

TEIN is on back order with both those coilovers and I know that I don't have any in stock either neither do any of the warehouses I deal with.

I do find your experience to be uncommon. Where do you live? What kind of roads do you drive on?
Old 01-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
This, besides the cost factor, is why I went with springs. Shocks/struts are relatively cheap and widely available. Good luck with your issue. I would be in a world of hurt of I had the same problem.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
that's unfortunate. especially this time of year when everything's down. have you considered getting rid of the tein ss' and going with something else? i have a set of h&r's that i've had forever! i wanna say ~4 years now. i've hit potholes and dealt with seattle's terrible roads for the duration. they've yet to go out.

you think it could be the installers who installed them incorrectly? i noticed when we were re-installing (long story) my rear h&r coils, there was a small washer that went on BEFORE the top had - we missed it the first time around, and ended up putting the full weight of the rear onto JUST the springs. Is it possible that they maybe added the pre-hat washer to one side and maybe forgot the other, on the other side? that'd definitely put crazy stress on the other end's coilover. CHECK when you them pulled out. sure tein's are overrated, but as a few have mentioned...uncommon.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Cruisin'

I live in Tampa FL...The roads are not bad at all...That is why I dont not understand why I am having so many problems..I dont even race my car or anything...its just all for looks

Originally Posted by Excelerate
TEIN's are rebuildable. You can send the damper in for rebuilt to either their West coast or East coast warehouse.

TEIN is on back order with both those coilovers and I know that I don't have any in stock either neither do any of the warehouses I deal with.

I do find your experience to be uncommon. Where do you live? What kind of roads do you drive on?
Old 01-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Cruisin'

They could of been installed wrong. I had them installed at Brothers Racing here in Tampa, then I took it to have a racing alignment done. or weighted alignment they call it. WHen i got there they were like, who ever installed you suspension did it wrong, but they said they fixed it. I had them about a year. then the front right went out, that was october 2008. Now January 2009 the back right. Actually I think it has been broken for a few months and I just realized it when i took it for service. YOu can hear it knocking around back there....NOT GOOD

Originally Posted by erick3
that's unfortunate. especially this time of year when everything's down. have you considered getting rid of the tein ss' and going with something else? i have a set of h&r's that i've had forever! i wanna say ~4 years now. i've hit potholes and dealt with seattle's terrible roads for the duration. they've yet to go out.

you think it could be the installers who installed them incorrectly? i noticed when we were re-installing (long story) my rear h&r coils, there was a small washer that went on BEFORE the top had - we missed it the first time around, and ended up putting the full weight of the rear onto JUST the springs. Is it possible that they maybe added the pre-hat washer to one side and maybe forgot the other, on the other side? that'd definitely put crazy stress on the other end's coilover. CHECK when you them pulled out. sure tein's are overrated, but as a few have mentioned...uncommon.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Cruisin'

Does Anybody have any other suggestions...Can you put your stock shocks back on with the tien springs in the back and keep it lowered the same amount? I found an A-spec kit on ebay for like $550 but that lowers it only 1.3 inches..Mine is lowered about 2.5 or so....Every other kit is running over a grand and I didnt even pay that thanks to a group but rate on this site...
Old 01-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn bro I have 2 fronts OEM and KYB for the rear. reason why i pulled them was i had a RL that was a different application (install that way) I so just replaced the back with OEM. lll double check when i get home but if you want the RR just LMK
Old 01-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Cruisin'

What is the KYB?

Originally Posted by RonJonTL757
Damn bro I have 2 fronts OEM and KYB for the rear. reason why i pulled them was i had a RL that was a different application (install that way) I so just replaced the back with OEM. lll double check when i get home but if you want the RR just LMK
Old 01-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Cruisin'

Also, can I just buy shocks and use the same springs..buy like nuespeed, or eibach shocks and use my tein springs? Just wondering...I was also just told to check this kit out...

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-262651.aspx
Old 01-07-2010, 02:50 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by tightacura22
What is the KYB?
Shock manufacturer.

Also, can I just buy shocks and use the same springs..buy like nuespeed, or eibach shocks and use my tein springs? Just wondering...I was also just told to check this kit out...

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-262651.aspx
You can use separate shocks/springs.

The Neuspeed kit is doable as well.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Cruisin'

So could I grab just two nuespeed shocks and put them in the back, and use the tein springs...so i would have tien shocks/springs in the front, and nuespeed shocks and tien springs in the back? or worst case buy 4 nuespeed sp3 shocks and all 4 of my tein springs?......... either way this would be WAY cheaper than a new set..and slightly cheaper than the whole set of nuespeed sp3 for $650....which seems like a pretty damn good deal for a whole set

Originally Posted by princelybug
Shock manufacturer.

You can use separate shocks/springs.

The Neuspeed kit is doable as well.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Former Sponsor

So could I grab just two nuespeed shocks and put them in the back, and use the tein springs...so i would have tien shocks/springs in the front, and nuespeed shocks and tien springs in the back? or worst case buy 4 nuespeed sp3 shocks and all 4 of my tein springs?......... either way this would be WAY cheaper than a new set..and slightly cheaper than the whole set of nuespeed sp3 for $650....which seems like a pretty damn good deal for a whole set
You cannot use TEIN springs from the TEIN SS. They will not fit on the shocks. You would have to get TEIN springs like the S-Techs or High Techs, in which case you should just get the entire NEUSPEED cup kit. Then send that rear shock out to be rebuilt and sell the SS.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Cruisin'

You cannot use TEIN springs from the TEIN SS. They will not fit on the shocks. You would have to get TEIN springs like the S-Techs or High Techs, in which case you should just get the entire NEUSPEED cup kit. Then send that rear shock out to be rebuilt and sell the SS.
Alright, that sounds like a decent plan. I will contact you tomorrow. I saw someone post on here that they were purchasing the NEUSPEED Cup Kit for $600, was that from you?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Cruisin'

I also want to make sure the NEUSPEED Super Cup Kit is just as low...I believe mine is 2.25-2.5 inches lowered now...about one finger can barely fit between the tire ad body...

Old 01-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Cruisin'

Do you know the cost of having them shipped thier, rebuilt, and shipped back? Just wondering....
Old 01-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Alright, that sounds like a decent plan. I will contact you tomorrow. I saw someone post on here that they were purchasing the NEUSPEED Cup Kit for $600, was that from you?
NEUSPEED raised the price by about $100 about 6 months ago or so so now it's roughly $699 shipped.

Do you know the cost of having them shipped thier, rebuilt, and shipped back? Just wondering....
Not sure. Call TEIN directly and ask. They will likely want you to send in the damper for an estimate since they won't know the extent of the damage.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Cruisin'

I ordered the NEUSPEED SUPER CUP KIT...so we will see how this goes...I have read that setting them on the very bottom notch in the back and the second lowest in the front gives you about a finger width gap, is that right? and I am going to try to send the shock to tein to be repaired and then sell the tein kit when I get the fixed shock back.....Thanks, Excelerate for helping me with this...
Old 01-10-2010, 01:35 AM
Pro

damn this makes me wanna take another route when considering the Tein SS's, maybe megans or something different!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by djflex167
damn this makes me wanna take another route when considering the Tein SS's, maybe megans or something different!
This is a very rare occurrence. We have sold many many TEIN coilovers and there haven't been any issues. I have TEIN coilovers on 2 of my vehicles and in our experience they have been very durable. Just like any damper, after 70-80k, you will need to rebuild them but they usually don't blow out.

And the quality of the Megan coilovers is sub-par.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:33 PM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry to hear your story bro...

You could look at http://selexsuspension.com they repair any kind of suspension, specially TEIN which brakes easily.

If you're ready to invest some $$$ you could also get the full coilovers (what I did) for our TL 3rd GEN....adjustable damping(28) and height ...