Moved from CA to OH--NEED TIRES!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Moved from CA to OH--NEED TIRES!

I recently moved to Columbus, Ohio from Orange County, California and needless to say, I need some new tires that are more suitable for driving in the very different driving conditions here.

I am looking for an all-season tire that will perform well in snow, rain and dry conditions. I don't really drive crazy around corners or anything anymore so no need for anything really high performance--my primary concern is being safe while driving.

I currently have Falken Ziex tires, and they are TERRIBLE when it is wet out. I am literally sliding all over the place in the lightest of rains.

I have the stock '04 17" wheels and have a 6MT.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Continental ExtremeContactDWS...check out TireRack's survey + review
Old 09-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Racer

Thanks for the response! Anyone else have any recommendations?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Racer

might be sold on those contis tho!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:37 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
conti dws...

big thread on it...search is your friend. so are the tirerack reviews.

my TL was happy last winter with them on. many others on here have the DWS tires and have been mostly pleased with them.

some possible issues: flatspotting (play with psi- ie up it 1 to 3 psi), soft sidewalls (again up the psi a little) on turns, tempermental balancing (road force balance will fix this)...but other than that great performing tire in wet conditions so far. i only have about 5-6k mi on mine...tread still looks new. what are your other options? if any?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:07 AM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
just curious as I don't live in a white winter environment, but do you guys have to drive with snow chains on FWD/RWD vehicles?

Do you just leave them on during the snow season? or remove whenever the ground is clear and carry chains at all times?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 111 Likes on 100 Posts
Maybe come back to Cali?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:03 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by jwr0ng626
just curious as I don't live in a white winter environment, but do you guys have to drive with snow chains on FWD/RWD vehicles?

Do you just leave them on during the snow season? or remove whenever the ground is clear and carry chains at all times?
the snow areas are definitely NOT like the cali mtns you think of. in all the years of living in DC metro, only have all seasons, along with all the other drivers around here with no issues except people who can't drive in it or have poorly maintained vehicles.

i'm not sure HOW much snow columbus gets, but they have the infrastructure to clear of streets (plows and salt). even the worst snows, will not produce the crazy snow that the sierra nevada produces...plus you're driving in the mtns hence chains and in colubus if there is a blizzard going on ...you'll probably be stick at home. if you have the chains already...you can leave them in the car, but you'll most likely never need them. if it makes you that nervous...get dedicated winter tires for your stockies, and then get a nice summer set of wheels and tires (nice excuse for a nice set of rims huh?). the DWS tires rated the highest (i believe) on tirerack for snow handling capabilties. the rest comes down to the driver, nice and easy and plenty of space....you 'll be good to go. if the tires spin in D then start in 2nd to get a bit more traction. i grew up in cali...my brother taught me all the little stuff once he moved to chicago and then out here. i followed him.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Potenza RE970AS Pole Position