Most Comfortable Tire for the 3rd Gen TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by smarty666
well I guess what your saying is that the higher the load index and the higher the speed rating the more rigid the tire is and thus the firmer the ride it will give; that makes sense when you think about it; but what I don't completely understand is doesn't the type of tire it is make a difference in how the ride quality and noise level will be?

for instance, does a 94W Grand Touring tire have the same ride and noise quality that a 94W UHP tire has? or will the Grand Touring have a better ride/noise quality then its HP and UHP counterparts?

I guess what I am getting at is, if ride quality and noise level are my biggest priority, would I just be better to get a Grand Touring tire or is a HP or UHP tire at a lower speed rating, ie 94H, 94V going to give me just as good as a ride quality/noise level that a grand touring tire would?
Maybe we're making this harder than what it is, but best way to compare is to check the tire in person. The H rated tire when compared to the UHP V tire will afford a better ride as the higher the rating, load and speed, the stronger the tread must be so that it won't distort under the higher speeds. There are always exceptions, so consider these as generalities, and you'll see that the Michelin HX MXM4 (93W) will afford a great ride because of the carcass construction, but at $265 each and poor satisfaction from users they are a tire that most would avoid.

Just read the reviews and look for a tire that suits your needs and you'll be good to go. You'll need to decide whether to have a tire that offers a soft ride and the handling characteristics are compromised, or vice versa, but as I stated earlier, most people wouldn't notice the difference in their daily driving, especially with the TL's "stiff"suspension.

Good luck
Old 01-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just read the reviews and look for a tire that suits your needs and you'll be good to go. You'll need to decide whether to have a tire that offers a soft ride and the handling characteristics are compromised, or vice versa, but as I stated earlier, most people wouldn't notice the difference in their daily driving, especially with the TL's "stiff"suspension.
Your right; I'm just over thinking all this tire stuff; there is a lot of different factors to consider and I'm slowly narrowing down my options so by the time I'm ready to get new tires I'll have it down what set I want; I guess I'm just worrying too much because of what is happening with my current set of serenity's; for a tire that costs as much as them and how I'm barely going to be able to get 20k out of and how quickly the ride deteriorated with them is really disheartening; I just don't want to make the same mistake again!

I def will take your advice and where ever I get the tires from I'll make sure I feel the tread and tire itself before having it put on the car! Good Advice for Anyone!

Last edited by smarty666; 01-07-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One thing I wanted to ask everyone was, Pirelli has the PZero Nero All Season tires in a 94V spec for the TL but they are run-flats; I wanted to know if anyone has put them on their TL and if not, do you know where that technology would change the dynamics of the tire and consequently the ride quality/noise level of the tire?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Guess I can't stay away. I, personally would avoid a run flat tire, unless it were OE equipment and no spare. Not familiar with the Pirelli RFT, but most tires that can support the vehicle weight when driven maybe 50 miles max without air, are extremely heavy, I'm going to guess, 10-20% heavier than the regular non RFT, and the suspension is engineered to work in conjunction with these tires. Some RFT has an inner tire, I believe Michelin, and some have a self sealing inner lining, but most have the added support in the sidewall, making for a hrasher ride when added to the non RFT technology suspension.
Naturally, just my