Most Comfortable Tire for the 3rd Gen TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Most Comfortable Tire for the 3rd Gen TL

Hi everyone, I am going to be getting new tires for my TL in about 5k miles (3-4 months from now) and my highest priority when it comes to tires is excellent ride quality and lowest amount of noise

I wanted to find out from other TL owners what do you think is the best tire that smooths out the ride for the TL in regards to giving it the most comfortable ride quality with the lowest amount of noise? Michelin? Kumho? Continental? Pirelli? etc

I was hoping to hear from people who have at least 5-10k miles on their tires since it has been my experience that it isn't till you have this amount of miles on your tires do you really find out how good or how bad they are; the tire can be of any kind, it can be a grand touring tire, all season high performance, or all season ultra high performance tires

look forward to your opinions and suggestions!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the contiental extreme conatacts dws. i like them so far. pretty quiet. around 2-3k on them, rain, snow and dry. handles like a dream in the rain, and very sticky in the dry. even in the cold weather they are pretty grippy. i live in NYC and we just got hammered with about 1 foot of snow. And they are very quiet and comfertable.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

yeah I was really surprised by the contiextcontactdws's because continentals are not really known for comfort and the best handling but these have been getting some really good professional and consumer reviews on tirerack.com!!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:50 PM
'05 6MT w/Nav A-Spec

Originally Posted by smarty666
yeah I was really surprised by the contiextcontactdws's because continentals are not really known for comfort and the best handling but these have been getting some really good professional and consumer reviews on tirerack.com!!
Yeah, I'm getting a set of these when I get my tax return in. I read enough good reviews that I'm going to give them a shot. They're supposed to be quiet and comfortable along with good performance, which is exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

I was hoping anyone who has put Pirelli's on their TL could help me out;

I've noticed that the Pirelli PZero/Nero All Season Tires come in either 97W or 94V in the P235/45R17 tire size for the TL; for anyone who has put them on did you use the 97W or 94V version?

Also, I would think that the 94V would be fine because it is only 1 speed rating lower than the stock W the car came with and I never can imagine going over 100mph so it shouldn't make a difference whether you have V or W rated tires unless you plan on drag racing that is

Also, does anyone know if the load rating of 97 verses 94 would make the ride more harsh for the TL because I've noticed many UHP, HP, and Grand Touring tires for the TL come in 97W

Opinions and thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 10:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Also, has anyone put Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S's on their TL? if so what load and speed rating did you put on? I've read many TL owners on tirerack who put these tires on their TL that they have been great and given a really smooth and quiet ride, which is something I want

my only question is, Michelin's website says they only come in 94H for the TL's tire size; is that low a speed rating okay for the TL?
Old 01-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Advanced

sumitomo htrz III , very quiet and comfy
Old 01-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Also, has anyone put Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S's on their TL? if so what load and speed rating did you put on? I've read many TL owners on tirerack who put these tires on their TL that they have been great and given a really smooth and quiet ride, which is something I want

my only question is, Michelin's website says they only come in 94H for the TL's tire size; is that low a speed rating okay for the TL?
Have Exalto A/S's on the daughter's Maxima, great all around tire, quiet, great ride and traction in rain and snow, but they aren't inexpensive. The H rating is fine for the TL as long as you don't go over the tire rating of 124MPH.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:30 AM
2nd Gear

Anyone else having problems finding the Conti Extreme Contact DWS? Tirerack tells me they have had them back ordered for quite some time and don't know when they will get another shipment. I've called several local (Wash DC area) distributors and get the same story. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:05 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Goodyear Eagle F1's on my 06 TL, they are great. They have great grip all the time.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:50 AM
2008 335i e92 6MT

i have the general exclaims just cuz i was broke after buying rims haha but so far i like them. i think i have 5k+ on them for sure. got em in july this summer. they aren't noisy at all but i have some mild steering wheel vibration. idk if its cuz i'm riding on 19's or my wheels weren't balanced correctly but i still have mild vibration (like a short left and right rigid motion) but i heard the stock bridgestone turanzas are some of the best tires and personally they rode more "comfortably" to mee than the exclaims
Old 01-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
I had Bridgestone Serenity's on my last car and the ride was simply sublime...and I will get a new set later this year for the TL. Expect to pay out the ass, but it's well worth every penny.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DeathMetal
I had Bridgestone Serenity's on my last car and the ride was simply sublime...and I will get a new set later this year for the TL. Expect to pay out the ass, but it's well worth every penny.
I'd never buy a Bridegstone, and I know I beat this to death, but most all Bridgestone's are made small, so take a look at the width. The Serenity 235 with a skinny width of only 7.8" is about .6" of an inch smaller than other comparable 235's. Even the Kumho is 8.5" wide. Most 225's are wider than the BS 235's. Also, compare that to a Yoko W4s with a 8.7" tread width, quite a difference.
They must look like bicycle tires when installed on the TL.
Naturally, just my
Old 01-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I was hoping anyone who has put Pirelli's on their TL could help me out;

I've noticed that the Pirelli PZero/Nero All Season Tires come in either 97W or 94V in the P235/45R17 tire size for the TL; for anyone who has put them on did you use the 97W or 94V version?

Opinions and thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I have those, and also a set of snow tires(x-ice xi2). mine are 18s, and i think they are the W rated ones. i really like these and am currently on my second set. they have a pretty good life, and are pretty quiet. they do slip a bit in the rain, and are scary in really deep snow, but what all season doesnt. great in the warm and dry, and still really good in the cold..its just the wet that makes them slip some. overall a great tire and would consider for a third purchase when the time comes.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Racer

dsw's FTW!
Old 01-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by HigdonTL05
dsw's FTW!
Just checked the specs, the DWS footprint at 7.7" is even smaller than that of the BS. Guess you only get what you pay for.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I have always had good luck with Toyos & Yokahamas. Good tires long lasting.
I hate Perelli's they just don't have good treadlife.
As for bridgestone's, I have always found they to be very slippery. Only good Bridgstone tires are the Winter Blizzaks.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Just checked the specs, the DWS footprint at 7.7" is even smaller than that of the BS. Guess you only get what you pay for.
thats for 245??
Old 01-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Racer

Guess you only get what you pay for.
thats a wierd thing to say knowing you dont have these tires...
Old 01-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Suzuka Master

thats a wierd thing to say knowing you dont have these tires...
I can read, so why would I need to have the tires if the spec reads 7.7” for a 235? This is one reason I would never have these tires!
There have already been complaints about the soft sidewall on the DWS, and the DWS is the least expensive tire that Continental has in that size @ $115 each, so as I stated earlier, you only get what you pay for.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
...so as I stated earlier, you only get what you pay for.
I'm confused.

The Serenity's have innumerable reviews claiming their superiority to the competition (and I can vouch for their longevity/ride quality)...

...but the DSWs/BS have smaller footprints, the prior reflected in price point...

...yet the BS are more expensive then all other listed thus far.

So how, exactly, does this "addage" of getting what one paid for hold true here?

You're completely contradicting yourself here as you're claiming price begets footprint (7.8" vs. 7.7")
Old 01-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Racer

I can read, so why would I need to have the tires if the spec reads 7.7” for a 235? This is one reason I would never have these tires!
There have already been complaints about the soft sidewall on the DWS, and the DWS is the least expensive tire that Continental has in that size @ $115 each, so as I stated earlier, you only get what you pay for.
I never said you couldnt read... But the thread was about the "Most Comfortable Tire for the 3rd Gen TL " not what tire has the widest tread width. On Tire Rack the DWS pretty much domiants all the ultra high performance all-season tires in the 235/245 cat. And has a higher comfort rating then the ws4 you mentioned, not to mention less expensive (I paid $109.00 for mine). And ill add it comes with a 50,000 mile warranty. So i guess i did get what i payed for and thats probally why I bought them, not to mention i recieved a free digital camera with purchase.

And Deathmetal, I agree with your statement!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Suzuka Master

I never said you couldnt read... But the thread was about the "Most Comfortable Tire for the 3rd Gen TL " not what tire has the widest tread width. On Tire Rack the DWS pretty much domiants all the ultra high performance all-season tires in the 235/245 cat. And has a higher comfort rating then the ws4 you mentioned, not to mention less expensive (I paid $109.00 for mine). And ill add it comes with a 50,000 mile warranty. So i guess i did get what i payed for and thats probally why I bought them, not to mention i recieved a free digital camera with purchase.

And Deathmetal, I agree with your statement!
I've got to admit, that you are correct in the ascertain that this thread is about the most comfortable tire, and I've strayed from that discussion, but other important information needs to be aired so as one can make a purchase that will be satisfying. Having said that, no ultra high performance tire can match the ride quality of an H rated tire, so that would be the most comfortable. As far as getting what you pay for, try and recoup a refund on the 50,000 mile warranty if the tires should wear out before this figure. The warranty is calculated on list price, not what you pay. As far as $109 plus a free camera, like I said, you get what you pay for. The DWS does do offer a softer ride because most complain about the very soft sidewall construction, so if a soft sidewall and a narrow tire is your choice, it's a great tire.

Here's a reply from the BMW Forum:
Just thought I would share my recent experience with the Continental DWS tire. It is a relatively new model, and the online reviews were positive, and I was looking for longer tread life tire. So I figured I would give them a try.

First the pros:
1.) Quiet, very quiet.
2.) Look good on the wheels
3.) Comfortable ride.
4.) Competitively light weight
5.) Inexpensive in contrast to other brand names

Cons
1.) Worst handling tire I have ever experienced. The rear end feels so soggy and sloppy at speed, it's scary.
2.) My cornering g's are probably around .6 before she slides out into the abyss.
3.) Steer clear of this tire if you care about handling.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Racer

I've got to admit, that you are correct in the ascertain that this thread is about the most comfortable tire, and I've strayed from that discussion, but other important information needs to be aired so as one can make a purchase that will be satisfying. Having said that, no ultra high performance tire can match the ride quality of an H rated tire, so that would be the most comfortable. As far as getting what you pay for, try and recoup a refund on the 50,000 mile warranty if the tires should wear out before this figure. The warranty is calculated on list price, not what you pay. As far as $109 plus a free camera, like I said, you get what you pay for. The DWS does do offer a softer ride because most complain about the very soft sidewall construction, so if a soft sidewall and a narrow tire is your choice, it's a great tire.

Here's a reply from the BMW Forum:
Just thought I would share my recent experience with the Continental DWS tire. It is a relatively new model, and the online reviews were positive, and I was looking for longer tread life tire. So I figured I would give them a try.

First the pros:
1.) Quiet, very quiet.
2.) Look good on the wheels
3.) Comfortable ride.
4.) Competitively light weight
5.) Inexpensive in contrast to other brand names

Cons
1.) Worst handling tire I have ever experienced. The rear end feels so soggy and sloppy at speed, it's scary.
2.) My cornering g's are probably around .6 before she slides out into the abyss.
3.) Steer clear of this tire if you care about handling.
I still dont understand your comment you get what you pay for.... your implying i bought piece of shit tires that are going to fall apart. Your pro's and con's are from a bmw thread, and im not trying to pull 2 g's around corners and shit. These tires are great and i wouldnt be surprised if continenal slowly raises the price for these. Sorry turbo your not going to make me change my mind and im probally not going to change yours.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

I've got to admit, that you are correct in the ascertain that this thread is about the most comfortable tire, and I've strayed from that discussion, but other important information needs to be aired so as one can make a purchase that will be satisfying. Having said that, no ultra high performance tire can match the ride quality of an H rated tire, so that would be the most comfortable.

That seems to be the general impression I've gotten from this discussions and from what I've read on other discussions that the lower the speed rating the better the ride quality is on a tire; that's my biggest grief with the TL is that I don't need a W rated tire; I've never driven the car over 100mph nor will I ever; the only problem with an H rated tire is that there are very few for the TL tire size; I know the Michelin Exalto and AVID W4s come in H ratings for the TL but I think that is about it; everything else is pretty much W or Y rated and if I don't need a W rating I certainly don't need a Y rating

I mean for God sake, the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus are suppose to be a comfortable/quiet tire (At least for a UHP tire) but it has a Y speed rating; I mean the last time I checked the TL speedometer only went up to 160mph; I don't think getting a 186+mph tire is really all that necessary especially if ride quality and noise control is a top priority

Last edited by smarty666; 01-05-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Suzuka Master

I still dont understand your comment you get what you pay for.... your implying i bought piece of shit tires that are going to fall apart. Your pro's and con's are from a bmw thread, and im not trying to pull 2 g's around corners and shit. These tires are great and i wouldnt be surprised if continenal slowly raises the price for these. Sorry turbo your not going to make me change my mind and im probally not going to change yours.
Never said the tires where a piece of shit, but they in no way can they compare to the more costly tire with quality construction. Most people, like yourself, won't notice a difference regardless of what tire is installed, but when you come to a Forum like this, that has a great amount of knowledge and experience, you'll read feedback that may not be to your likening. So be it.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:49 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
[I]
That seems to be the general impression I've gotten from this discussions and from what I've read on other discussions that the lower the speed rating the better the ride quality is on a tire; that's my biggest grief with the TL is that I don't need a W rated tire; I've never driven the car over 100mph nor will I ever; the only problem with an H rated tire is that there are very few for the TL tire size; I know the Michelin Exalto and AVID W4s come in H ratings for the TL but I think that is about it; everything else is pretty much W or Y rated and if I don't need a W rating I certainly don't need a Y rating

I mean for God sake, the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus are suppose to be a comfortable/quiet tire (At least for a UHP tire) but it has a Y speed rating; I mean the last time I checked the TL speedometer only went up to 160mph; I don't think getting a 186+mph tire is really all that necessary especially if ride quality and noise control is a top priority
im with u bro... i totally agree
Old 01-05-2010, 09:51 PM
10th Gear

Hi guy,

I am new to the forum, I just picked up my 05 TL today. While driving home at high speeds in the slushy weather, I noticed when ever i go over a bump or something the car would wiggle like the front would want to go right and the rear wants to go left. But at lower speeds its perfectly fine.
The tires that came with the car was Nexen N3000
http://www.nexentireusa.com/tires-4/N3000

a friend told me it might be the tires because they are sport summer only tires. what do you guys think?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cybertron
Hi guy,

I am new to the forum, I just picked up my 05 TL today. While driving home at high speeds in the slushy weather, I noticed when ever i go over a bump or something the car would wiggle like the front would want to go right and the rear wants to go left. But at lower speeds its perfectly fine.
The tires that came with the car was Nexen N3000
http://www.nexentireusa.com/tires-4/N3000

a friend told me it might be the tires because they are sport summer only tires. what do you guys think?
Nothing to do with this thread, but I'll reply. A summer tire is not to be used in winter, or when temps are in the 30 degree range. The tread compound that is used in summer tires for superior traction during the warm weather becomes rock hard in cold weather, almost like driving on a tire with a plastic tread.
They are directional tires so make certain they are on the correct side, also check the air pressure, but if more driving in near freezing temps is anticipated, park the car or replace the tires.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Nothing to do with this thread, but I'll reply. A summer tire is not to be used in winter, or when temps are in the 30 degree range. The tread compound that is used in summer tires for superior traction during the warm weather becomes rock hard in cold weather, almost like driving on a tire with a plastic tread.
They are directional tires so make certain they are on the correct side, also check the air pressure, but if more driving in near freezing temps is anticipated, park the car or replace the tires.
x2
Old 01-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

its interesting, Michelin now has the Primacy MXV4's in P235/45/17 in a 94H rating but they are about 230 bucks a tire; gee whiz!

I noticed that several tires for the TL, including Kumho, have a rating of 97W; does anyone think that a higher load index would give a harsher ride with that tire? I'm just curious because I think the OEM's were 93W so that is a big difference in load index?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Advanced

I bought Toyo Versados (Z rated) this fall, and have 6K miles on them. I have no complaints, haven't driven them in snow yet, but wet and dry they are very good and quiet. Versados are geared to what you are looking for (handling, road noise, ride) as oppossed to the performance handling of the Proxes. I did hit a deep pot hole the bent my rim, but the tire held true with no belt damage or side wall damage. I paid about $134/tire installed.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx
Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Suzuka Master

its interesting, Michelin now has the Primacy MXV4's in P235/45/17 in a 94H rating but they are about 230 bucks a tire; gee whiz!

I noticed that several tires for the TL, including Kumho, have a rating of 97W; does anyone think that a higher load index would give a harsher ride with that tire? I'm just curious because I think the OEM's were 93W so that is a big difference in load index?
Normally, the higher the load rating, the stronger the tire. The 94 is rated to carry 1433 lbs, while the 97 1609 lbs.

I've said this before, but next time you're at the tire dealer, take the tires you may be interested in purchasing, stand them upright, then take you fist and push in on the top of the tread. Some extreme performance tires, the tread won't budge, naturally offering a harsher ride, and with some others, the tread will be able to move easier, naturally offering a softer ride. Just to use as an example, take a T rated tire (none available in the TL size, except a winter tire) and push on the tread. As you'll be able to turn the tire inside out, this tire will offer a very comfortable and soft ride, but the handling will deteriorate.
You’ll need to find the balance you desire.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Drifting

Received 595 Likes on 444 Posts
Originally Posted by millarduck
I have no complaints, haven't driven them in snow yet, but wet and dry they are very good and quiet.
Very interested to hear your results in the snow. I will be needing new tires by spring as well and my requirements are very similar to the OP. My days of flogging my car and ripping around turns at 55mph are mostly done. I like my quiet car, however I don't want a big floaty turd either. I have been mostly happy with my OE Bridgestones...until this winter.

I do not want to have to get dedicated snow tires since KC "usually" gets less than 10" of snow per season (of course this year we are over 20" now).
Old 01-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathMetal
This tire gets very high ratings for good ride and low noise (I hate tire noise). The worse tires I have experienced were Goodyear Eagle F1's. Had these installed on my "other" TL (the wife's '05), and we removed them around 16 months later - very bad. We had a set of Yokohama W4S's put on in place of the Goodyears and they have been fine.

My '04 TL wears a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires and they are pretty quiet. Superb handlers.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:39 PM
10th Gear

I know I shouldn't have been riding on them, I didn't have a choice as those were what came with the car when I picked it up. I took the car to shop and had Hankook W409 Ipike installed right away, when we took the summer tires off, we noticed one of them had a nail inside of it, while the top part of the nail was stuck in the tire. The inside wall had w black lines around it showing signs of driving while the tire was flat.

Called the dealership where I bought the car, after many conversations they are willing to replace that 1 tire, aren't they suppose to replace both?
Old 01-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cybertron
Called the dealership where I bought the car, after many conversations they are willing to replace that 1 tire, aren't they suppose to replace both?
Nope, only the tire that is bad, and be thankful they even offered that as compensation.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Instructor

After skipping a bunch of this thread, i decided to comment on the OP's original post. I have the Conti Extremecontact DWS and I like them. I agree that they do not handle as well as some, but they give me a comfortable ride, don't make noise on the highway, rarely slide in the rain, and seemed pretty damn good in the first snow fall here in Jersey. On top of that, they come with a factory road-hazard policy up to a year (and some mileage, which I forget). I've taken advantage of that already, after being ridden off the side of the road and slicing the inside sidewall on the edge of the asphalt on the shoulder. Annoying! They have a good treadwear rating, which doesn't mean anything, I know, blah, blah. But they were reasonable, sharp looking tires and I am satisfied. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

The worse tires I have experienced were Goodyear Eagle F1's. Had these installed on my "other" TL (the wife's '05), and we removed them around 16 months later - very bad.

Can agree with you there about Goodyear; I go to a Goodyear Tire place to have my tires rotated and when the guy there saw we were going to need to replace our serenity's in a couple thousand miles he tried to recommend getting Eagle F1's or Eagle GTs to replace them and went on and on how great a tire they were; I just laughed and laughed to myself because I know how bad the noise level and ride quality is with those tires and I would never get them put on the TL; I would get a Continental or Yokohama put on the car before a Goodyear

I've never had any luck with Goodyear tires over the years; for example, the maxima I have right now came OEM with Goodyear RS-A's and they are mediocre at best and are the loudest tires I have ever had on a car; I can't wait to replace them; I can hear every thud the car goes through and it sounds like a jet engine even on smooth interstate with road noise from those tires!
Old 01-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

I've said this before, but next time you're at the tire dealer, take the tires you may be interested in purchasing, stand them upright, then take you fist and push in on the top of the tread. Some extreme performance tires, the tread won't budge, naturally offering a harsher ride, and with some others, the tread will be able to move easier, naturally offering a softer ride. Just to use as an example, take a T rated tire (none available in the TL size, except a winter tire) and push on the tread. As you'll be able to turn the tire inside out, this tire will offer a very comfortable and soft ride, but the handling will deteriorate.
You’ll need to find the balance you desire
well I guess what your saying is that the higher the load index and the higher the speed rating the more rigid the tire is and thus the firmer the ride it will give; that makes sense when you think about it; but what I don't completely understand is doesn't the type of tire it is make a difference in how the ride quality and noise level will be?

for instance, does a 94W Grand Touring tire have the same ride and noise quality that a 94W UHP tire has? or will the Grand Touring have a better ride/noise quality then its HP and UHP counterparts?

I guess what I am getting at is, if ride quality and noise level are my biggest priority, would I just be better to get a Grand Touring tire or is a HP or UHP tire at a lower speed rating, ie 94H, 94V going to give me just as good as a ride quality/noise level that a grand touring tire would?

Quick Reply: Most Comfortable Tire for the 3rd Gen TL