Michelin Primacy MXM4's

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Michelin Primacy MXM4's

Does anyone have any experience with these tires? I realize they are a touring tire but how do they handle and how is the noise level? I have Pirelli PZero Nero A/S on the car right now and to be honest these tires are wearing much faster than I thought they would. I have a little over 25,000 miles on them and drive pretty easy so I am disappointed at the wear. The MXM4's are actually more affordable than most Michelins and rate well so just curious. I may have 5000 miles left in the PZero's.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Racer

Anyone??? I read some reviews on TireRack and they rate very well. I also am considering the Conti DWS but also have heard they don't wear as advertised. What is your experience with the DWS?
Old 08-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
the MXV4 was originally designed for the '98 accord. they are the OE for that.

then it was discontinued around 05-06, and honda enlisted michelin to design a tire that would be extremely quiet, have a 50k mile WARRANTY, and be comfortable on uneven surfaces. they succeeded in that. and there you have the MXM4

they can get 80K+ miles out of them, but they will not be the grippiest, and driving in snow/rain after about 50k starts to get dodgy.

if you want an OE style replacement, its a good choice. however, better tires for better pricing points can be had.

dws are silicon based. they will not last like a true rubber tire when the temps get above 50*F. you need to treat them gingerly during warm months, or they literally peel away.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 08-16-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Racer

Thank you very much veggiemonster. Exactly what I was looking for. Do you have any suggestions other than Michelin MXM4?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Michelin Primacy MXM4 should be pretty good tires. I had the Primacy MXV4's on my last car which was an Accord and the tires were great. My other suggestion is the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity's.. I got them on my car (06 TL) couple of months ago and I love them so far. Quiet tires, good in dry and wet handling
Old 08-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sleeper22
Thank you very much veggiemonster. Exactly what I was looking for. Do you have any suggestions other than Michelin MXM4?
personally, i LOVE BFG g-Force super sport a/s. that's what i have on my TL now, and had on my S4 before and after the contisports, and really love them.

they are an all season, but rubber based. they do very well on hot days, and don't have that "peeling" effect i was describing. but, that means a trade off in snow. they aren't unsafe in anyway, and don't add confidence when they shouldn't, and to me that makes them safer than a tire with all the ice/snow siping (the little tiny slits in the tread)

i mostly like them, because i haven't found a tire that has sustained such grip while being so quiet and comfortable.

they are a fatter tire as well, so anyone reading knows.

and that curb rash is not my fault.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
^while I also love my set of BFG G-Force SS. It's probably not what the OP is looking for.

They're kind of noisy and not that comfortable but that's just my opinion.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Racer

mb1976 I used to have the Serenity on a G35 but I am not paying $240/tire. The G35 was cheaper per tire than the TL so I assume the Serenity had a price jump. Veggiemonster I will look into the BFG. I want a longer lasting tire and comfort over pure performance.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by veggiemonster
dws are silicon based. they will not last like a true rubber tire when the temps get above 50*F. you need to treat them gingerly during warm months, or they literally peel away.
I live in South Florida and was getting ready to order a set of Continental DWS tires. Now I'm concerned about this silicone based and being bad in hot weather, which Florida usually is. Where did you hear about this?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
personally, i LOVE BFG g-Force super sport a/s. that's what i have on my TL now, and had on my S4 before and after the contisports, and really love them.

they are an all season, but rubber based. they do very well on hot days, and don't have that "peeling" effect i was describing. but, that means a trade off in snow. they aren't unsafe in anyway, and don't add confidence when they shouldn't, and to me that makes them safer than a tire with all the ice/snow siping (the little tiny slits in the tread)

i mostly like them, because i haven't found a tire that has sustained such grip while being so quiet and comfortable.

they are a fatter tire as well, so anyone reading knows.

and that curb rash is not my fault.
I have the same set on my car and love them. But if you are buying them I recommend getting 235/40/17 because they do have a tall sidewall. They are also priced very well, I think I bought them for about 470 shipped to my house from tirerack. I haven't used them in the snow yet but I have heard they are good.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Drifting

mb1976 I used to have the Serenity on a G35 but I am not paying $240/tire. The G35 was cheaper per tire than the TL so I assume the Serenity had a price jump. Veggiemonster I will look into the BFG. I want a longer lasting tire and comfort over pure performance.
in that case, you probably should get the michelin's. in all honesty they are a good tire, and a STEAL of a value. i would pay for the mx series tires before i would pay for pilot sports which are north of 220$ per tire. the BFG's simply won't last as long as the michelin's, since they've traded some performance for the wear rating.
Originally Posted by floorit
I live in South Florida and was getting ready to order a set of Continental DWS tires. Now I'm concerned about this silicone based and being bad in hot weather, which Florida usually is. Where did you hear about this?
this is my personal experience with silica based tires. i've had 2 sets of contis, 3 sets of Nokian tires (EU company that makes BA tires, all are snow/winter based though), and then 3 sets of the BFG's i listed, and a few sets of yokohama's and bridgestone potenza line.

if you take a few back roads on your way to work and drive spirited, in the summer you will affect the longevity of a silicone based tire. living in the Chicago area (we literally get to -20 and to 110 degrees) and this area is still just too hot for something that is so winter based.

the best thing, is to ask a local REPUTABLE tire shop what most customers are purchasing for TL's, then compare those tires on tirerack to something that is a similar price point/category while also looking for improvements in area's you need. a good tire shop will listen to your needs if you use the terms and wording i've used here...but they always start listing expensive tires first, it's just the best way to run a business. just keep saying, 'eh, i was looking for something a little cheaper'.

i've spent 30 minutes with a tire shop just to make sure that i would actually like my tires, and that is how i found the bfg's. don't be afraid to bounce your idea's and your "needs" to them. they do want to help, and they will have experience of what people in your region like.

a thread about the bfg's i made https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/got-new-tires-option-those-looking-806115/
Old 08-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Racer

in that case, you probably should get the michelin's. in all honesty they are a good tire, and a STEAL of a value. i would pay for the mx series tires before i would pay for pilot sports which are north of 220$ per tire. the BFG's simply won't last as long as the michelin's, since they've traded some performance for the wear rating.

this is my personal experience with silica based tires. i've had 2 sets of contis, 3 sets of Nokian tires (EU company that makes BA tires, all are snow/winter based though), and then 3 sets of the BFG's i listed, and a few sets of yokohama's and bridgestone potenza line.

if you take a few back roads on your way to work and drive spirited, in the summer you will affect the longevity of a silicone based tire. living in the Chicago area (we literally get to -20 and to 110 degrees) and this area is still just too hot for something that is so winter based.

the best thing, is to ask a local REPUTABLE tire shop what most customers are purchasing for TL's, then compare those tires on tirerack to something that is a similar price point/category while also looking for improvements in area's you need. a good tire shop will listen to your needs if you use the terms and wording i've used here...but they always start listing expensive tires first, it's just the best way to run a business. just keep saying, 'eh, i was looking for something a little cheaper'.

i've spent 30 minutes with a tire shop just to make sure that i would actually like my tires, and that is how i found the bfg's. don't be afraid to bounce your idea's and your "needs" to them. they do want to help, and they will have experience of what people in your region like.

a thread about the bfg's i made https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806115
Thanks Veg. The MX series does look like a good value. They might be $100-$200 more than some of the other tires mentioned but the longevity will be worth it. Not sure about you but I really can't afford to be replacing tires often.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Drifting

oh i agree with you there. i unfortunately only have a pair of BFG's in front, and OLDDDDDDDDDD (dangerously) set of falken 492's iirc? tires are expensive, but there isn't any reason to cheap out on them...not worth the loss of a life or that of your car just to save $1-200 overall...
The following users liked this post:
sleeper22 (08-17-2011)
Old 08-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Racer

The only other tire under consideration is the Kumho LX Platinum but I have read some inconsistent reviews. I had some Kumho Ecsta's on another car and about 10K miles they started getting noisy so that makes me wonder about overall Kumho quality.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Drifting

i have zero experience with kumho. there is one specific performance tire they sell which i've heard some good things about(which you have no interest in), but overall they usually aren't brought up in tires recommendations....or that i've seen.

hardest part of tires, is everyone compares them to that last set, or the 'magical' set they had before they were discontinued. so opinions have no perspective to those asking for advice.

hopefully, and this is always, i've helped you make your decision, and that i haven't talked them out of something that would suit them better than the tire i have offered...never too sure on that lol
Old 08-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Racer

I agree with everything you have told me. Like you said above the Michelin will more than likely meet my needs and it IS a great value.

I just don't give two shits about pure performance anymore and looking for longevity and quiet because I spend a lot of time on the road and not sport driving. The TL is a fun car to drive and I like its refinement over other cars in its class. Plus it gets great gas mileage for a 270hp V6
Old 08-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually paid $200/tire at tiresplus a couple of months ago... Yes they were a little cheaper then tirerack
Old 08-18-2011, 06:19 AM
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mb1976
I actually paid $200/tire at tiresplus a couple of months ago... Yes they were a little cheaper then tirerack
Quite a bit cheaper
Old 08-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Drifting

I agree with everything you have told me. Like you said above the Michelin will more than likely meet my needs and it IS a great value.

I just don't give two shits about pure performance anymore and looking for longevity and quiet because I spend a lot of time on the road and not sport driving. The TL is a fun car to drive and I like its refinement over other cars in its class. Plus it gets great gas mileage for a 270hp V6
oh i know. my last car was heavily modded, but the mpg's were about 24 avg. pretty good for a 575 chp TT v6 LOL. but getting 35-36 highway in my TL is sooooooo sweet
Originally Posted by mb1976
just remember to keep in mind avg tire mounting/balancing costs range from $75-125 for a set of 4, although 90% of the time its $90-115, always figure that into your costs
Old 08-18-2011, 07:55 AM
Racer

oh i know. my last car was heavily modded, but the mpg's were about 24 avg. pretty good for a 575 chp TT v6 LOL. but getting 35-36 highway in my TL is sooooooo sweet

just remember to keep in mind avg tire mounting/balancing costs range from $75-125 for a set of 4, although 90% of the time its $90-115, always figure that into your costs
LOL...Great point but I haven't forgot about those costs
Old 08-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Drifting

LOL...Great point but I haven't forgot about those costs
just making sure. a surprising amount of people use online tire shops without realizing they are paying more than local. a lot of tire places don't charge you for the mount/balance if you buy through them, so it's actually pretty easy to get a synthetic deal without all the shipping and hassle
Old 08-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Racer

just making sure. a surprising amount of people use online tire shops without realizing they are paying more than local. a lot of tire places don't charge you for the mount/balance if you buy through them, so it's actually pretty easy to get a synthetic deal without all the shipping and hassle
This is true. Just looked online and a local shop is about the same as TireRack per tire not including mounting and balancing, etc....Their all inclusive price is about $20/tire more so makes sense to buy local. Hardly any difference.

When I bought my Pirelli's a local shop price matched TireRack but had to pay extra of course for mounting, balancing, etc...At least I got them to price match TireRack so didn't do too bad I don't guess...LOL.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Drifting

price matching is always good. if they offer it... i'm finding it. i just want them to honor it, it tests their commitment to their word, and that's pretty important to me.

i usually transfer my savings to the hazard insurance and nitrogen.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Racer

price matching is always good. if they offer it... i'm finding it. i just want them to honor it, it tests their commitment to their word, and that's pretty important to me.

i usually transfer my savings to the hazard insurance and nitrogen.