Michelin HX MXM4 WHY NOT ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
I had these tires on my rsx type-s. my sig tells why I dont like these tires.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Fresher the Better

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flip_side
I had these tires on my rsx type-s. my sig tells why I dont like these tires.
Ouch! Does your username also tell why you didn't like the tires? (Double-ouch!!)
Old 09-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TLAwesome
Ouch! Does your username also tell why you didn't like the tires? (Double-ouch!!)
luckily, no. just 4-5 times of spinning :[
Old 09-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Cruisin'

Ok, Friends I pulled the trigger on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

I had them for 3 days / 210 miles. So far, these are my .

1. Road Noise -- There is a very little humm.. while cruising which is not an issue at all. After all this is a TL not a LESUX.
2. Road Bump Absorption -- These felt softer than MXM4's, absorbed bumps easily
3. Ice/Snow Traction -- N/A
4. Tread Life -- No comments as of now
5. Cost -- Absolutely happy for the price and performance. just under 200 a price all inclusive.
6. Issues with Dealers -- None -- stayed with the prescribed tires size and brand.
7. Performance -- UHP and they really are UHP, absolutely better cornering.
8. Wet Traction -- It hasn't rained hard enough to test, but looking at the grove pattern they should definitely do lot better than mxm4's.
9. Dry Traction -- Floored gas and tried to spin but the tires hugged the road even more.

I am planing to get anywhere around 25K on this set, if I get more, I will be buying them again, else, will try different tires.

Thanks for getting me addicted to this forum.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Fresher the Better

Sigh. Please make sure that you got the completely new compound version, the Pilot Sport A/S Plus. If you got the old, Pilot Sport A/S (not plus), bring them back and insist on the Plus version. The tread compound has been much improved.

The "Plus" version says "PLUS" right on the sidewall, so you can see right away if you got the right ones:

http://.com/4nq56p

Last edited by TLAwesome; 09-30-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Fresher the Better

This forums screws up t1nyurl URLs!

.com/4nq56p
Old 09-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by sagirisk
Ok, Friends I pulled the trigger on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

Absolutely happy for the price and performance. just under 200 a price all inclusive.

Thanks for getting me addicted to this forum.
Glad you’re satisfied with your choice.

Sigh. Please make sure that you got the completely new compound version, the Pilot Sport A/S Plus. If you got the old, Pilot Sport A/S (not plus), bring them back and insist on the Plus version. The tread compound has been much improved.

The "Plus" version says "PLUS" right on the sidewall, so you can see right away if you got the right ones:

http://.com/4nq56p
No matter what you purchase someone will have a negative opinion. If they’re the Plus, great, if not, don’t worry about the decision. Actually the Plus may be a slightly harder compound as they have increased the wear rating to 500. Tires are always being updated.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Glad you’re satisfied with your choice.

No matter what you purchase someone will have a negative opinion. If they’re the Plus, great, if not, don’t worry about the decision. Actually the Plus may be a slightly harder compound as they have increased the wear rating to 500. Tires are always being updated.
Thanks for the assurance Turbonut.

You are absolutely correct, there will be new tires coming into market every now and then. And they all say the newer tires are better in so and so..But as a matter of fact there is only so much truth in that than more of marketing gimick.

You know what, I am not even going to bother if they are Plus or not. So I am going to enjoy my
Old 09-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Fresher the Better

But as a matter of fact there is only so much truth in that than more of marketing gimick.

You know what, I am not even going to bother if they are Plus or not. So I am going to enjoy my
Whatever. I'm just so glad we all wasted so much time trying to help you only to be ignored. The Pilot A/S needed new compounding so it could compete with today's performance all-season tires. That's exactly what Michelin did. Also, the non-PLUS tires are old stock, meaning your wet-performance will be degraded from having a tire that could have been manufactured more than a year ago.

Any reputable company will switch your tires if they are not the Plus version, and even if they don't, it costs you $0.00 to ask. Then again, you could already have the Plus version.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
man these tires SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKK.... i had these on my 07 TLS.. which i just bought 4 mnths back.. i hated them.. i ended up going across the border and got myself some RE960's AS

what a difference... the ride quality on bridgestone's is WAAAYYY better than these stupid tires for 262 bucks... back was lil spongy.. but after setting my air temp (35F 34 R)..i feel so much difference...

I almost feel like my car is just gliding on the road esp when the road is smooth.. the bridgestones are soooo smoooth... and did i mention QUIET?

i recommend the Bridgestones RE960's AS Discount tire.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Fresher the Better

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Actually the Plus may be a slightly harder compound as they have increased the wear rating to 500. Tires are always being updated.
http://michelin.tiremedia.com/news/592.html

All the facts about the improved compound. It's stickier in wet & dry and longer-lasting. Compound technology has drastically improved SINCE 2001, when Michelin introduced the original Pilot Sport A/S. Would you want a tire that was the same tread design and compound formula from 2001? Seven years is a long time to develop better materials and processes.

The thing that ticks me off about sagir is, here we all are trying to help him. Prior to rushing off and buying the tires, he could have (and should have) said, "I really like what I've read on the Pilot Sport A/S and I'm about to buy them... any last comments?" At which time we would have made him aware of the newer model.

Oh well, despite the fact that I think he's a complete ---, I still hope he got the new Plus version.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Cruisin'

http://michelin.tiremedia.com/news/592.html

All the facts about the improved compound. It's stickier in wet & dry and longer-lasting. Compound technology has drastically improved SINCE 2001, when Michelin introduced the original Pilot Sport A/S. Would you want a tire that was the same tread design and compound formula from 2001? Seven years is a long time to develop better materials and processes.

The thing that ticks me off about sagir is, here we all are trying to help him. Prior to rushing off and buying the tires, he could have (and should have) said, "I really like what I've read on the Pilot Sport A/S and I'm about to buy them... any last comments?" At which time we would have made him aware of the newer model.

Oh well, despite the fact that I think he's a complete ---, I still hope he got the new Plus version.

TLAwesome,

Come on man, can you relax ? Why do you have to be rude.

Yes, I do agree we are ALL here to share our experiences and knowledge.
I have read other posts here in this forum about Michelin Pilot Sport AS and made up my mind. If you feel that Iam not asking YOU for what to do, then thanks for your earlier thoughts and you can sure keep your thoughts to your self.

Let's not take this personal. It is not the End of the World for anyone to make judgemental calls on other whom you dont even know.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Fresher the Better

Why do you have to be rude.
All I did here was try to help you find the best tire to fit what you told us was your priorities. In fact, I think I was the only one who asked what your priorities were. I'm annoyed because in trying to help you, I spent considerable time researching reviews to find the best suggestions. I could have told you that the Pilot Sport A/S (both versions) is not the quietest tire in the world. Performance wise, the old Pilot Sport A/S is outclassed by the RE960. The A/S (both versions) will beat out the RE960 in snow traction, which you don't need.

What you could use is the better treadlife. The new Pilot Sport A/S Plus has a 45,000 treadwear warranty, compared to NO treadwear warranty on the original Sport A/S. The price difference is well worth the extra mileage and performance you'd get with the new ones. You might already have the new ones, but you'd prefer to live in the dark. If you don't have the new ones, you might be able to swap them out, but no, you cannot be bothered to try. I can't figure that out.

Well, at least we opened your eyes to how lousy the HX MXM4s were. I suppose that counts for something.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Cruisin'

Lets move on...
  • MXM4's ARE not so good tires
  • There are definitely lot of other tires which would cost less and perform better
GoodBye
Old 10-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Fresher the Better

I am so nonplussed by you. :troutslap
Old 10-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Intermediate

falken ziex ze 912's ftw!!! talk about bang for your buck.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:54 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I picked up a set of RE960s(All-Season Tires) from Bridgestone, so when my Michelins are done, I will post my review. I currently have 4/32s MM left on my Michelins with 20,000 miles. I am not a drag racer, and I do not floor it at every light. I am very conservative about my driving styles, but the tires are close to gone in 20,000. I am going to try these as well as Blizzak LM-25s(Winter Tires) from Bridgestone.

I am not very pleased with the Michelins; I always hear skids when I'm turning. It gets to be borderline-dangerous when I'm turning into a small street (10-15 MPH) with walls on both sides. On dry/wet days, the Michelins are okay.

Like I said, I have the Bridgestones sitting, waiting to be put to the test as soon as my MIchelins are gone. I am hoping they will last me until end of fall/autumn so I can toss the All-Seasons before winter. Then I can have a little better comparison to the Michelins next Spring when the tires aren't brand new.

Stay posted!
Old 10-12-2008, 02:55 PM
4th Gear

looks like it is the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus for me
Old 10-19-2008, 08:41 PM
! deadmau5 !

and the next tire on our TL is ...

This is an excellent thread, and matches our own experiences well.

To recap: our '05 came with Bridgestone Turanza EL42s. We had an Acura full warranty replacement at 17,000 miles and were given new Michelin Pilot MXM4s (comparatively a much better tire). We knew this winter at 76K, we would need new rubber, although the tread still has some life.

The choices came down to tirerack.com's #1 pick for UHPAS, the Bridgestone Potenza RE960s, ***or*** the Goodyear Eagle ResponseEdge Grand Touring tire. At this writing, RE960s are $161 each, and the ResponseEdge is $119 each less a $40 rebate on 4 through the end of October.

We found that the Bridgestone store will price-match tirerack. We could deal direct with him instead of an independent installer plus tirerack -- which might complicate potential warranty issues.

Other considerations:

1. "BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S" looked good, and if they hadn't recently been taken over by Michelin, we'd give them a closer look. The nearest Michelin dealer has one guy who knows his product and he's never in. We will not deal with Sears, STS, Pep Boys, or Costco on a decision like this. And if there's no one in the Wall NJ Michelin store in 3 separate visits, then, whatever they're doing there, they're not really in the tire-selling business.

2. The above Goodyear is a Grand Touring AS tire. Why was it even considered? Because my wife drives the car (it's an automatic) and the MXM4s, also a GT AS with treadwear 300, are lasting us 60,000 miles. She doesn't beat the car up -- just drives it for long stretches on the Parkway. ResponseEdges with treadwear 440 should therefore last the remaining life of the car -- at a bargain $109 each. (If I had to drive this car, I'd save the $200. But then again, I grew up with snow driving in Rochester NY

3. Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Season, a UHPAS, was also relatively cheap, and had treadwear 420. If we lived north of New York City, I'd want this more aggressive pattern because you have 5x as many snow days (as down here on the Jersey coast). But it seems to be a noisier tire.

4. Yokohama, Toyo, Nero, etc.: Some very good tires, ones I'd be happy to buy. But a dedicated nationwide dealer network (with price matching) like Bridgestone's means we'll never have to get tirerack to FedEx us a replacement if we're stuck in East Aardvark some weekend. Or maybe we've just seen too many B movies that start and end with that premise, instead of an actual plot.

So: the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE960 AS works out as the _system_ of tire + support that will probably give us the fewest overall problems in the next 2-3 years. I found tirerack.com to be invaluable for learning about this stuff, and we will definitely use them in the future. Just -- not on this car, not this time.

We're down to the final 72 hours, so feel free to dismantle this logic before then.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Intermediate

I've got 57,000 miles on my 2006 TL. Run 'em hard, 39 front, 35 rear. But love saving money!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
i have Bridgestone potenza RE960s (All-Season Tires) and they are far more superior then any tire i had before. Im very satisfied with them.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by BukvaMan
i have Bridgestone potenza RE960s (All-Season Tires) and they are far more superior then any tire i had before. Im very satisfied with them.
that is the tire that is going on my type s next...

the stock michelins are horrible, noisy, stiff, no traction....not to mention way to expensive....the road noise comming from these tires is horrible...
Old 11-15-2008, 11:48 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

Get some falkens, like al said.....