koni yellows - the best/only choice for shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
koni yellows - the best/only choice for shocks?

I am still running on eibach pro kit springs and stock shocks. my next project is to get some real shocks installed.

I have heard around here that Koni Yellows are popular and good... are they currently the only choice besides stock shocks?

If I get the yellows, is the middle perch setting the best for comfort/performance balance?

I have found them on ebay thru only 1 seller, SOHi Performance at $292 x2 (front and back sets) for a total of $584 (!) seems expensive but then I haven't bought shocks before.

How long could I expect these shocks to last with eibach pro kit springs and 18" wheels?
Old 01-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
I've got them 2nd to softest and they're already pretty stiff. My area is notorious for having horribly paved roads, so I cant see myself making it any firmer until I move. But really, it seems like enough, you'd be surprised
Old 01-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Konis are the only replacement shocks/struts for gen3 TL. I have them on my car, paired with Eibach Prokit. The ride is pretty soft, and I have them on 1/2 turn from the softest. I actually want more stiffness, so I'll adjust them when I have time.

Search for Accord and TSX too on eBay because Koni specifies that they use the same exact shocks. Sometimes the seller doesn't know that the TL uses the same thing.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Cold Racketeer

hm, so one seller has the yellow for up to '05 Honda Accord for cheaper with free S/H.... so these would work then?
Old 01-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Verify the part number with the seller and check the www.koni-na.com website. But Koni specifies the same part numbers for 04+ TL, 04+ TSX, and 03+ Accords.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:43 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Koni + H&R + Pirelli

Here's my first post after months and months of research on this board.
I have H&R Sport springs and Koni Yellows, Comptech Swaybar on stock wheels and couldn't be happier with the new stance and ride of the car.

Since the H&R is a pretty firm spring the installer (Bellevue, WA) suggester a middle level setting on the Konis ofr the perfect balance btw ride and comfort.
Not too many potholes around.
My advice: rid the stock shocks immediately.

About tires: I first tried Good Year Eagle F1-DS2, 1st spot in Car % Driver magazine contest a few months ago. Size 255/40 R17.
The car was tracking a lot, noise level unacceptable, felt heavier so I decided to go Pireli PZero NEro M+S, stock size.

Question: I haven't seen anybody replacing the front sway bar on an automatic even though H&R sells both F and R. Has anybody done this? Would this improve my ride even more?

Thanks
Old 01-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Cold Racketeer

claudiub - from what i have heard the reason people replace the rear sway bar is becuase that improves the understeer, wheras replacing the front bar is not helping the matter or even counteracting it? just something i read here a long time ago, and for all i know could be wrong. i simply followed people's advice and got the comptech rear.

thanks for the vote of confidence about koni shocks. i wonder what i can expect going from stock + pro kit springs to koni + pro kit... i wonder if it will feel more comfortable or less, and how the handling will improve.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Registered VTEC junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's my experience with Koni yellows on my Integra= I've wasted money thru many shocks and I shuda bought Konis in the first place. They are the only shocks you will probably ever need to buy. They're awesome. The lowest setting rides like stock and the stiffest is firm but not bouncy. The perches do not affect comfort, it allows you to adjust height. The soft/firm setting is on the top. If you need shocks, IMO-these are the only ones to get.