Koni Orange missing parts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 07:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Koni Orange missing parts?

Doing the shocks and springs on my 2006 TL. In putting the Konis together I have no Bump Stop Plate. It is the washer between the Bump stop and the lower of the two similar Rubber Bushings.

Was it supposed to be included with the Konis? The Cup and Collar that were the old bump Stop Plate were unremovable from the OEM shocks. They were Rusted solid on and I had to cut the top washer

and nut off and cut the shock spindle in half to remove the bump stop itself. Damn salt and snow up north here. Any ideas if I need the Bump Stop Plate or not or if I can pick a comparable one up locally

for the Koni Orange that I have? Thanks!

Old 05-30-2019, 04:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,166 Likes on 877 Posts
Looks like they want you to use the OEM dust cover washer to retain the bumpstop.

The bump stop bead on the shock shaft isn't tapered like the stock one, is it?

If it is tapered, then you need the bumpstop washer. I'm guessing KYB and other companies make replacements.

I'm surprised you can't remove your old one with a hammer.

Counting from the bottom up...
shock body
bumpstop
(bumpstop washer?)
dust boot
dust boot washer
tophat bushing 1
top hat
tophat bushing 2
tophat cup washer
nut

Last edited by BROlando; 05-30-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:06 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by BROlando
Looks like they want you to use the OEM dust cover washer to retain the bumpstop.

The bump stop bead on the shock shaft isn't tapered like the stock one, is it?

If it is tapered, then you need the bumpstop washer. I'm guessing KYB and other companies make replacements.

I'm surprised you can't remove your old one with a hammer.

Counting from the bottom up...
shock body
bumpstop
(bumpstop washer?)
dust boot
dust boot washer
tophat bushing 1
top hat
tophat bushing 2
tophat cup washer
nut
Thanks for your reply. I had to use the old Bump stop plate. It was in the dust cover cap that was solidly rusted onto the shock shaft. I was able to break apart the old shock shaft to remove the Bump Stop Plate. Had to cut the shaft off the shock first. Tried hammering the pieces off by striking on the top of the shaft while supporting the dust cover on blocks of wood. Still would not budge. I Had to cut the collar off as close to the top of the dust cover. Then finally the old shaft could be hammered down and all the parts were able to slid off the top of the shock shaft. What a pain, no reusing the old shock but got the parts. The back was much easier to break down to the parts for reusing.

Note to others removing the shocks, front and rear. Be sure to note the Damper Mounting Base orientation to the shock itself as you reassemble. The front requirest the single bolt mount inboard in line with the notch in the back of the shock for the pinch bolt. The rears require the bolt mount to be parallel to the Damper Mounting Base.

Thanks to the other poster on performing a F/R Shock and spring replacement. Dropping the roll bar in the rear simplified removal for sure!

Grinch Out!