Just got new tires, now my car pulls to the right.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:57 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just got new tires, now my car pulls to the right.

I just got new tires for my TL-S this Saturday. I didn't change the size, all I did was get 245/40's over the stock 235/45's. Now my car pulls to the right. Did the tires do something to the alignment?
Old 02-26-2008, 07:25 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
well you should honestly get an alignment the dealer should cover it... if you have not modified ur suspension the service guy should agree to a warranty alignment (12000mile/1 year conditional warranty)
Old 02-26-2008, 09:16 PM
It's no limit Baby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is the direction of rotation facing the right way on the tires
Old 02-26-2008, 09:19 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Originally Posted by stillhere153
well you should honestly get an alignment the dealer should cover it... if you have not modified ur suspension the service guy should agree to a warranty alignment (12000mile/1 year conditional warranty)
Would they cover it even though I changed the stock tires? I didn't do any mods other than that.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
You dont mention current mileage
I would expect that during normal driving. one encounters potholes and bumps in the road.
Perhaps even a swack at a curb or speed bump???
All contribute to knocking the "toe" off, on the alignment.
When buying tires you should get a 4 wheel alignment so the car tracks straight.

Sometimes you get a bad tire with bad inner wires- have the installing tire shop swap them left to right and if that fixes it- tell them you want different tires
If its still pulling the same, get the alignment
Now that I finally did, after bigger rims and tires and a drop on Teins, now she drives with a fingertip on the bottem of the steering wheel..sweeeeeeet
Old 02-26-2008, 10:29 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
You dont mention current mileage
I would expect that during normal driving. one encounters potholes and bumps in the road.
Perhaps even a swack at a curb or speed bump???
All contribute to knocking the "toe" off, on the alignment.
When buying tires you should get a 4 wheel alignment so the car tracks straight.

Sometimes you get a bad tire with bad inner wires- have the installing tire shop swap them left to right and if that fixes it- tell them you want different tires
If its still pulling the same, get the alignment
Now that I finally did, after bigger rims and tires and a drop on Teins, now she drives with a fingertip on the bottem of the steering wheel..sweeeeeeet
The car has 234 miles. I haven't hit any potholes, curbs, etc...

I'm really not down to go drive another hour to the shop...

I'll probably go get an alignment check. If they say my alignment is off, I'll get that taken care of. It's just a b*tch because the car is literally brand new.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:47 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
why'd you get new tires if you only have 200 miles on the car?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you might be able to have it done by the dealer since it still has low mileage.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:57 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Originally Posted by JCL622
why'd you get new tires if you only have 200 miles on the car?
I sold the stock tires and get better/wider tires. Falken 452's to be exact.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:07 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

yeah bro with that amount of mileage take it to the dealer... don't even mention you swapped out the tires unless they say something... and if they do... just bullshit them and tell them you go a blowout... blowouts on the stock michelin's happen all the time

point of fact is if the tires are facing the correct direction and you don't hear any thuds... it is just the alignment... you are under warranty they will correct it at no cost to you
Old 02-27-2008, 06:13 AM
Burning Brakes

If it's alignment, the tires wouldn't have any effect. Maybe in 200 miles, you just didn't notice it.
Be prepared to cough up the $50 for an alignment. I doubt if the tech will be so stupid not to notice the tires aren't the stock size. That will void your warranty, unless the dealer gives you a break.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:30 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

^ tires are a wear and tare item

and you say "void warranty"... vague and general use... the only thing the dealer will refuse to replace under warranty in the OP's case are the tpms sensors if for some reason they malfunction... that is the only thing involved in tires...

let me give you my experience with the dealer I bought my car from, I did a burnout, causing a flat spot in one of my rear tires cuz I pulled the ebrake... long story short took it to the dealer wit the aftermarket wheels on, we took it for a drive, he definitely said it was from the tires, we put on some oem wheels they had laying in the shop, took a drive, and confirmed it was definitely a flat spot (which I later found at my boys shop)... didn't pay a cent... he even inspected the hubs and found that the driver side hub was overtightened and adjusted it to factory spec... oh and I also got some free starbucks coffee while I waited
Old 02-27-2008, 07:32 AM
Burning Brakes

^
If I read your post correctly, I fail to see the correlation except that you got the dealer to replace a part under warranty, that was actually abuse. I personally would have choked on the coffee, even if it was some other brand than Starbucks [lol!] That's just me.

If you break a suspension part, and the dealer finds that you have a larger tire and/or wheel combination, he doesn't have to replace that part under warranty.
If you hit a pothole, the larger tire and/or wheel amplifies the shock to the suspension.
In the case of the OP, it's not a case of abuse, but his new tires are substantially wider that the stock tires, and the dealer may not realign his car for free.

Maybe they will, especially if they can't prove the tires are causing the pulling.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:07 PM
08 TL Type S A-Spec

I say the problem is a "slipped/bad belt" in one of the tires. This happens........and it sucks. Hopefully your tire shop had a 30 DAY "ride n drive" warranty with the tires..........if not, prepare to argue your case.
**Have the tire shop flip one of the back wheels onto the front (rotate)......see what happens........if it goes away........you need a NEW tire (defective).
**I DOUBT it is alignment..........
Old 02-27-2008, 05:40 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Let me clarify a little bit. The car did pull a little to the right when I first got it, but it was barely noticeable. But now with the wider tires, it does it much more noticeably.

I already made an appointment with the dealer to take it in tomorrow so I'll see what they say.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
we aint talking about torque steer here now are we? these cars can pull a bit, especially if the road isnt flat. but i would have the tires checked out first if it is more of a "drift" then a "pull". good luck!
Old 02-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
^ tires are a wear and tare item

and you say "void warranty"... vague and general use... the only thing the dealer will refuse to replace under warranty in the OP's case are the tpms sensors if for some reason they malfunction... that is the only thing involved in tires...
Why would they refuse to replace a failed TPMS? The tires have nothing to do with the TPMS. Even if mounted in a different rim, that won't effect the TPMS, unless you damage them in the process. TPMS just measures air-pressure... What rims they are mounted in will have zero effect... Now if you use a can of fix-o-flat, that's a different story, and will void the warranty on the TPMS.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:24 PM
08 TL Type S A-Spec

I hope it all works out for you. I just, just got home from Discount Tire Co and I had my Falken FK-452s (245/45/17) installed. All I can say is....................WOW.
These are the tires Acura should be using on the Type S................perfect. I think the Progress RSB made a big difference on my Type S, but these new shoes + RSB = WHOLE DIFFERENT CAR.

I am glad that I went with the 245/45/17...............it seems to sit PERFECT.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:36 PM
SlammedOnKonis

^ You're car looks fresh!

Does anyone know how I would be able to tell before I take the car in whether the pull is caused by the alignment or tires?

When I drive these tires are dead quiet, no thumping or anything that sounds/feels wrong.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:44 PM
08 TL Type S A-Spec

Thanks, bro. I appreciate the DIGG!!

I doubt it is the alignment........prob just a "bad" tire. Sucks, I know. Only thing you can do is take one wheel of the FRONT and put it in the REAR of the car...........drive it, repeat if no luck. IF THAT WORKED = BAD TIRE.

BTW.......these tires are BADAZZ.........I am LOVIN' mine. SOOOO quiet & STICK to the road.
1,000% better than the Michelin HX MXM4's.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem as you have. My car had a very very minor pull to the right when I first got it, but I only felt it on initial acceleration, hardly noticeable much like what you initially had as well. I had to get rid of my stock summer michelins for the climate I live in. Once I got new tires put on, BFGoodrich Comp T/A, my car would pull to the right slightly all the time and some days very bad. I tried 3 different places for alignment, no good. I took the car in and had all 4 tires force balanced, no good. I took the tires off the rims and swapped the front tires. Now it pulls to the left. You can also try swapping the rear tires and it can make a difference as well. I took the car back to the original tire installation shop and had them get me 2 new tires up front. No more pulling. Straight as an arrow. Good luck. It cost me almost $500 to find out my problem was the tires. Alignments around here cost $120 a pop and force balancing is over $30+ a tire. I was mad to find out the tires were the problem.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
If you still have the problem after getting an alignment and a balancing, swap the tyres to the opposite sides of the car (if they're not directional tyres). If the car then pulls to the left, you've probably got a "radial pull," which indicates a bad tyre.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:15 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Originally Posted by Dwarflord
I had the same problem as you have. My car had a very very minor pull to the right when I first got it, but I only felt it on initial acceleration, hardly noticeable much like what you initially had as well. I had to get rid of my stock summer michelins for the climate I live in. Once I got new tires put on, BFGoodrich Comp T/A, my car would pull to the right slightly all the time and some days very bad. I tried 3 different places for alignment, no good. I took the car in and had all 4 tires force balanced, no good. I took the tires off the rims and swapped the front tires. Now it pulls to the left. You can also try swapping the rear tires and it can make a difference as well. I took the car back to the original tire installation shop and had them get me 2 new tires up front. No more pulling. Straight as an arrow. Good luck. It cost me almost $500 to find out my problem was the tires. Alignments around here cost $120 a pop and force balancing is over $30+ a tire. I was mad to find out the tires were the problem.
Ok, so I had a 4 wheel alignment done by the dealer yesterday, which didn't work. I went back today to the shop and they replaced the two front tires, and the damn car still pulls to the right. I'm thinking of moving the two front tires to the back and seeing if that fixes it.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:15 PM
08 TL Type S A-Spec

Man.........sounds like your havin' real problems with the tires!! Sucks. I have had my 452s since Wednesday.............no probs what-so-ever. They DO seem to "flat-spot" a tad in the morning, but goes away in 1 - 2 miles.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the 245/40/17 size??
I stuck with 245/45/17..............perfect, so far!

Try swapping out the FRONTS & BACKS.........see if that helps.

ARE YOU 100% POSITIVE (saw for yourself) the TIRES "ZEROED OUT" on the balancer??
I STOOD RIGHT NEXT TO THEM at Discount Tire Co and watched them BALANCE my tires. It took them like 3 or 4 tries on 2 of the wheels to get it PERFECTLY ZEROED OUT on the Hunter Road Force machine..............for some reason 2 of my rims kept showing "0.25" weight to add.................BALANCE THEM AGAIN..............some place else!!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 09:12 PM
SlammedOnKonis

So I got the two front tires replaced on Friday, now the car goes straight.

I'm going to go get a free alignment from another dealer on Monday also.