Inside Rear Tire Wear Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 05:29 PM
rm -rf *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inside Rear Tire Wear Normal?

Ugh, ok so I've searched high & low, but haven't been able to find exact matches relating to my situation. Here's the skinny on my setup...

OEM non-aspec suspension
no RSB (yet)
245-45-17 Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S
26k miles on the tires

Pretty impressive eh? Ok, so anyway, my rear tires are wearing thin on the inside only. I've had the alignment checked at 2 different places and they both stated that everything was "within spec" of factory. The tires look good except for the inside edge.

I'm wondering if they either didn't check everything or if this is just a normal thing with wider tires and/or tires that are shaped differently than OEM. I mention shape because I thought I remembered the Turanza's tread basically "hiding" from the edge of the tire while the P-Zero's tread goes all the way out.

I've read the camber kit sticky as well as anything else that just had the word "toe" in it, but nothing jumped out at me. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 09-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Take it to another shop, as it is abnormal for the tires to wear on the inside. If the rear tires were feathered on the inside, I suspect a toe problem, but if worn smooth camber needs adjustment.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:47 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

You haven't looked NEARLY hard enough. This is a KNOWN issue on the early models and there is a technical services bulletin on it. 050 or something... Has to do with bump stops and Acura replaces the stops for free. If you had the ORIGINAL tires (EL-42's) they would have also replaced them for free as well but you get NADA on non-OEM tires (but they will still replace the bump stops under warranty).
Old 09-09-2007, 11:09 PM
rm -rf *

Jeez, sorry I forgot to mention that I read the TSB also. Since mine is an '05, I'm stuck because my VIN doesn't fall within the range specified. I've called and gotten nowhere. There's only 1 Acura dealership in Oklahoma City and the next nearest one is about a 2 hour drive from my house.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
did the alignment shops use a hunter road force machine? Did they give you a specs sheet? IF not a hunter machine, go to a place that has one. IF not give a spec sheet, go back and get one. Post it here so we can see the data.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:51 AM
rm -rf *

I'll call & see what kind of machine they use and I'll see if I can dig up the sheet they gave me & post it. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
did the alignment shops use a hunter road force machine? Did they give you a specs sheet? IF not a hunter machine, go to a place that has one. IF not give a spec sheet, go back and get one. Post it here so we can see the data.
Dude, the Hunter Road Force is a balancing machine, not alignment.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

In my experience with Hondas, the rear tires do wear a little unevenly on the inside, even at stock suspension. This has nothing to do with your alignment being out of spec.

Hondas usually have pretty agressive rear camber. This is what makes the car grip the turns pretty well. However, it's done at an expense, a slight uneven tire wear.

If you look at the tires, how uneven are they? Are they totally bald on the inside but the outside looks like new? If so, you probably need to get the car re-aligned at a different shop.

Have you also been rotating your tires? Do your front tires show the same uneven wear?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 260 HP
In my experience with Hondas, the rear tires do wear a little unevenly on the inside, even at stock suspension. This has nothing to do with your alignment being out of spec.

Hondas usually have pretty agressive rear camber. This is what makes the car grip the turns pretty well. However, it's done at an expense, a slight uneven tire wear.

If you look at the tires, how uneven are they? Are they totally bald on the inside but the outside looks like new? If so, you probably need to get the car re-aligned at a different shop.

Have you also been rotating your tires? Do your front tires show the same uneven wear?

What he said.

I actually just replaced my tires for this very same problem. I also have an 05.

Just pay attention to your rotation schedule and possibly have it done more often than usual. The tires DO wear unevenly on the insides.

In my experience I can tell you there is nothing wrong with your alignment.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:55 PM
rm -rf *

I've been rotating about every 5000-6000 miles and I just noticed it at the last rotation. The front tires were not showing the uneven wear when they were put on the back. The wear is noticeably different, but hopefully with more frequent rotations I'll be ok for a bit.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Instructor

I am having this same issue. I have stock wheels and non-aspec suspension (although my ride does seem to sit low and is a little bumpy).

The only thing that is different is that its only the driver side tire. I have had multiple alignments in the last two years and they have said it was in spec. The inside is smoothly worn while the rest of tire has about half tread left.

Anyone with any luck correcting this? Wanna try and fixing this before buying new tires.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I have an 05', and my tires wear perfectly evenly... Take it to a different place to have the alignment checked....
Old 05-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mc_holla
I am having this same issue. I have stock wheels and non-aspec suspension (although my ride does seem to sit low and is a little bumpy).

The only thing that is different is that its only the driver side tire. I have had multiple alignments in the last two years and they have said it was in spec. The inside is smoothly worn while the rest of tire has about half tread left.

Anyone with any luck correcting this? Wanna try and fixing this before buying new tires.
Got a printout of the last alignment and were the alignments done a different shops? Tires don't have uneven wear period. Could you imagine the uproar with all the new cars being sold if the tires wore unevenly.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
The only thing that is different is that its only the driver side tire.
I had that exact problem last year... It was caused because my right front was waaaay out of spec on alignment. It was causing the driver side tire to scrub.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Instructor

I have the alignment printouts in my car and will round them out tonight. I had my car aligned at Acura and also at a local tire shop. Both times they said the card was in spec.

I forgot to mention that when I bought the car, the lower control arm on that side of the car (left rear) was bent. I had the dealer replace it and then got the car aligned and now im wondering if something else down there is still messed up. When I get a chance I will have to closely inspect it. Eveything looked fine before but its possible that this isnt just a coincidence that im having an issue with the tire in that same spot.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Suzuka Master

I have the alignment printouts in my car and will round them out tonight. I had my car aligned at Acura and also at a local tire shop. Both times they said the card was in spec.

I forgot to mention that when I bought the car, the lower control arm on that side of the car (left rear) was bent. I had the dealer replace it and then got the car aligned and now im wondering if something else down there is still messed up. When I get a chance I will have to closely inspect it. Eveything looked fine before but its possible that this isnt just a coincidence that im having an issue with the tire in that same spot.

As I said before, there is a problem with the alignment. Our '04 has 66K and has never been aligned and the S.4 245/45-17's look as new with 24K miles.