I think I finally dislike the EL-42s

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I finally dislike the EL-42s

I don't usually stomp on the gas pedal from a stop, but sometimes you have to put some clowns in there place! Well lately the tires have been spinning a bit too much when I do this (even w/ VSA on). A few times I've just gone ahead and accepted my ownage
Old 10-18-2006, 02:43 PM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
While I will NEVER own another Bridgestone tire (I had acutally intended to not even buy my TL because of them, then I found out that the NAVI option provides the Michelin's), I wouldn't say the whole problem is because of them.

Mine is a 5AT, with the Michelin's, and they're brand new (less than 1000 miles on them). Mine spin on new, dry pavement if I punch it. I think that it has a lot to do with them not being "up to temperature".
Old 10-18-2006, 05:17 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by TriniBwoy
I don't usually stomp on the gas pedal from a stop, but sometimes you have to put some clowns in there place! Well lately the tires have been spinning a bit too much when I do this (even w/ VSA on). A few times I've just gone ahead and accepted my ownage
Yeah, I didn't get why everyone hated them so much at first. Particularly in the wet. But now after a year I see how miserable they are in the wet. Still fine in the dry for me. I see the cold start flat-spotting as somewhat of a fact-of-life for a 45 series tire. Anyway it disappears after a few miles.

I think this is just a bad Bridgestone design. I can't agree with meburdick's opinion since I think my Bridgestone Blizzaks are terrific winter tires. Lot's of other Bridgestone tires are liked by members here, just not the EL42s.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:55 AM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Adobeman:

Just so it's understood: My hatred of Bridgestone is primarily due to their complete unwillingness to actually warranty a "performance" tire in terms of tread wear. My first experience with Bridgestone Potenza's were a 185/60R14 tire that was rated for 40,000 miles. Mine were completely bald at 28,000 miles (more than half were highway miles, and I didn't spend my days smokin' 'em).

Well, a phone call to Bridgestone got me a "Sorry, sir. We don't honor a treadwear warranty on *any* of our performance tires (which is almost the whole line)." -click-

The next experience was the goofy size tire Nissan pulled out of their collective ass for the '02 Maxima SE. Those were smoked at 25,000 miles on my wife's car - and believe me: NO spirited driving there! Replacements were impossible to find from anyone but Bridgestone in that size (or the Michelin Pilot). Nope. Sorry. Gave my money to Yokohama and chose a slightly different size that would keep things just about in spec.

<drama>Bridgestone is dead to me!</drama>
Old 10-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Pro

re

they are worth %%&* they are too soft, too noisy and really not a comfortable ride, i cant wait to change them
Old 10-19-2006, 10:14 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I like the re750's, hate the el42's. my main dislike was because they were horrible when it was wet out. and the fact they blew out at 19k.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:18 AM
Unshunned

Originally Posted by TriniBwoy
welcome to the club

My EL42's were smooth at around 15k. I replaced them with Falken Azenis ST-115 and have been very happy with those. They have excellent grip, traction, and little noise is noticeable, and for 99 bucks a piece for a z-rate 245/45/17, who could argue!?

My main gripe with the EL42's was that not only didn't they perform like a tire that belonged on the TL, but they wanted around 180 a piece for them retail and for that, we should have had a LOT better tire from B-stone.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The EL42's will be gone in one week

By this time next week the EL42's will be history on my TL. I ordered Continental ContiExtremeContacts from Tire Rack for it.

The biggest reasons I went with the Conti's is that right now they're on sale for $99/ea and they have a better deeps snow/light snow/ice rating than the Pirelli's, important where I live.

The EL42's are without doubt the worst tires I've ever had on a vehicle and they only got worse as they wore down. Heck they got so bad that the antilock was kicking in with just heavier than normal braking - not even standing on the brake pedal. And the wet traction really went in the toilet.

I still should have the service bulletin work done on my car for the rear bump stops to get away from the rear toe scrubbing the tires. But Acura's policy on this service bulletin sucks. They force you to take worthless, replacement EL42's as part of the deal even thought there are better, and CHEAPER, alternative tires available. I'd give Acura a break and not hold them to replacing the tires if they'd just agree to doing the bump stop and alignment adjustment for nothing. But being forced to take the EL42's is not an option in my book.

Ted
Old 10-23-2006, 12:26 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
EL42's were the very first thing I changed out as soon as I spent one rainy month with them (2 months after buying the car).

Surprised your still around to even post!
Old 10-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by special-ed
EL42's were the very first thing I changed out as soon as I spent one rainy month with them (2 months after buying the car).

Surprised your still around to even post!

I should have changed them sooner, given all the negative postings and such, but it boiled down to wanting the hear feedback here on alternative tires before making a decision. Even though just about any other tire would have probably been better.

Yeah, I do think I've been lucky.

Ted
Old 11-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by kosh2258
By this time next week the EL42's will be history on my TL. I ordered Continental ContiExtremeContacts from Tire Rack for it.

The biggest reasons I went with the Conti's is that right now they're on sale for $99/ea and they have a better deeps snow/light snow/ice rating than the Pirelli's, important where I live.
The Conti Extreme Contact is a fantastic tire for an all season. I had 2 sets on my vette and loved them. Bought them for the same reason you did. Good tread pattern to handle light snow.