I got my Cupkit!!! install n pix soon.. but need some help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question I got my Cupkit!!! install n pix soon.. but need some help!!

ohhhhhhhhhhhh damn!... i finally got my springs. they were at my sisters place in NJ for like almost 2weeks and they came down to Canada and i finally picked up them.

*THANKS EXELERATE*

but i now have some questions.

1. are there links on the site for manual instructions on how to install these? i have done a search and i found some images of the manual scanned by ronjon or something. which i have printed out. but wondering if there are other DIY links.

2. i am going for the lowest perch, but just curious if you think i will have issues with rubbing on the fronts. (stock wheels and rims (17s) no skirts.. just a 05 TL AT

3. after the install, i hear its best to run the springs on the softest setting for about a week. THEN adjust them to comfort. now AFTER the week is that when i would do an alignment.?? i m guess that makes the most sense.

4. again a question about the drop. i am looking for a NO GAP look. do you think it would be better to go 2nd last perch... and get a bunch of fat friends and do some driving on twisty roads and get the springs to settle nice n tight. OR go last perch and just get some friends and balance out the weight in the car and settle it normally.

i really just dont want to run into an issue where i have to roll fenders n such or get into a situation where the stock wheels rub and turning becomes an issue. and mostly because i am not sure how to roll the fender or where to get it done

but ya... PICS coming soon!!
Old 05-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by silvarTL
1. are there links on the site for manual instructions on how to install these? i have done a search and i found some images of the manual scanned by ronjon or something. which i have printed out. but wondering if there are other DIY links.
These should be about the same...
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108545
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113935

2. i am going for the lowest perch, but just curious if you think i will have issues with rubbing on the fronts. (stock wheels and rims (17s) no skirts.. just a 05 TL AT
You should be fine on stockies...

3. after the install, i hear its best to run the springs on the softest setting for about a week. THEN adjust them to comfort. now AFTER the week is that when i would do an alignment.?? i m guess that makes the most sense.
yes, run the konis at softest for I believe 500 miles. I don't know if I'd drive 500 miles before I get an alignment though...

4. again a question about the drop. i am looking for a NO GAP look. do you think it would be better to go 2nd last perch... and get a bunch of fat friends and do some driving on twisty roads and get the springs to settle nice n tight. OR go last perch and just get some friends and balance out the weight in the car and settle it normally.
last perch, with the sport springs, is pretty damn low...finger gap or less? anyone want to back me up on that one?
Old 05-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Looking for new mods

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Maharajamd
These should be about the same...
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108545
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113935

You should be fine on stockies...

yes, run the konis at softest for I believe 500 miles. I don't know if I'd drive 500 miles before I get an alignment though...

last perch, with the sport springs, is pretty damn low...finger gap or less? anyone want to back me up on that one?
Last perch is way less than a finger.. i am sitting on 2nd perch and i have -1 finger on mine.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Race Director

^With the sport springs or the race springs?

Basically what I want it to have is the same gap ontop that there is on the left and right. Kinda like some of the BMWs have stock. A nice perfect finger gap all around the wheel well.

I too will be ordering this kit. But I have a feeling I will set it on one of the higher perches...

Last edited by maharajamd; 05-29-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Looking for new mods

^^^ Sport springs....This picture was taken last week.. the car should settle a little bit more... also the pic was taken from below the fender line so u can see more gap that is really there... I can garantee you that if u flush you fingur againts the bottom of the fender.. you will hit side wall ....

Car on the left

Old 05-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Race Director

^Saw that earlier today in another thread. Looks good, just too low for my roads around here...
Old 05-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jguerra23
Last perch is way less than a finger.. i am sitting on 2nd perch and i have -1 finger on mine.
i would be happy with a -1 finger gap if its on the 2nd last perch

i wish it would be simple to put it on the 2nd perch... and see how it sits... and if i dont like it, just quickly drop it to the last perch..

oh well. your car is sitting pretty sweet in that pic. and would be happy if thats my end result height.

so you think at the lowest perch you would run into issues rubbing?

and as for driving on soft setting for 500 km

wont the alignment go out of wack if i get an alignment before the 500km of driving on soft and then make it a bit stiffer?

i dont really know if changing the dampening on the shocks effect the alignement

but...i guess it wouldnt...

Old 05-29-2009, 04:40 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
^^^you should be fine as the dampening will have no effect on your alignment..
Old 05-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Looking for new mods

i would be happy with a -1 finger gap if its on the 2nd last perch

i wish it would be simple to put it on the 2nd perch... and see how it sits... and if i dont like it, just quickly drop it to the last perch..

oh well. your car is sitting pretty sweet in that pic. and would be happy if thats my end result height.

so you think at the lowest perch you would run into issues rubbing?

and as for driving on soft setting for 500 km

wont the alignment go out of wack if i get an alignment before the 500km of driving on soft and then make it a bit stiffer?

i dont really know if changing the dampening on the shocks effect the alignement

but...i guess it wouldnt...

Rubbing is not my concern here in NYC.. is pothole..lol...

Today i was with RodneyC77 and everytime I see his car.. it makes me want to drop to the lowest perch... but.......NYC streets are not mercyful
Old 05-31-2009, 11:15 AM
Intermediate

hey guys i have a problem. I was going to get my springs put in on Monday, but the shop i was going to (my dads shop) the alignment machine broke down this weekend (of all my luck) so he is going to get it looked at on monday, and he is suggesting i wait it out for another week (next saturday) to install because he recommends that after install i get it aligned because if its NOT.....i could do dmg to my tires for this week of unaligned driving. I know a few ppl that have installed their tires like at home, and have been driving it for almost 2 weeks now with no alignment, cuz they are like its pretty straight (let go of wheel and it goes straight) but i dunno what kinda tire wear dmg its doing??!??!

and i really dont want to wear out the tires i have on there currently. So i just wanted to make sure really if im not just being over cautious or if i could drive it via no alignment for at least a week and just hope the install is pretty straight.?

i dont mind waiting, but you know....1 extra week of lowered goodness is ...well 1 week of extra lowered goodness

Old 05-31-2009, 11:46 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Lowering the car will increase negative camber and throw your toe out as well. The change in camber won't cause any wear but the negative toe (toe out) will cause tire wear.

To illustrate why this happens, point the tips of your feet away from each other. This is negative toe or "toe-out". Now picture your body moving in a straight line forward. If you notice, this is putting a large amount of stress on the inside of your shoes, which will cause inside wear.

I suggest waiting for the alignment machine to get fixed before you lower the car.